Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perpetual motion?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
So how much power can be generated?

It may well be 99% efficient, but that's a long way from being a source of perpetual energy.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So how much power can be generated?

It may well be 99% efficient, but that's a long way from being a source of perpetual energy.

Yep, but perpetual motion was believed to be impossible. It is the first machine to do this but scaled up with a giant ball doing some consderable speed could change the way we produce electricity. It's a good starting point to something that couldn't be done.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It still is. That machine is not a perpetual motion machine. For a start you can hear the ball move, so you know it is loosing energy and, so, will stop at some point.

It's not losing energy through sound though. When they say it's 99% efficient, the 1% is the person who starts it rolling. The camera crew witnessed it for 3 days.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
It's not losing energy through sound though. When they say it's 99% efficient, the 1% is the person who starts it rolling. The camera crew witnessed it for 3 days.
As soon as you started to extract energy from it, by the ball hitting a paddle or however, the machine would slow down. Hence perpetual motion is impossible. It may be a very efficient machine but it is definitely not perpetual motion that has been achieved.It looks to me like a scam anyway.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As I recall Perpetual Motion was cracked many years ago. All you need to do is attach a slice of toast, Butter side up, to the back of a Cat then throw said Cat out of a first floor window. As has been noted before, Cats always land on their feet and toast always lands butter side down. Ergo : Perpetual Motion.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
The internet is littered with people who claim to have created in their bedrooms 'free energy machines' that break the laws of physics. Some of them actually gain momentum because the people watching these videos on the Internet have no scientific knowledge and take the videos at face value.

Think about it....if any of these lunatics really had discovered perpetual motion they would have signed a massive commercial deal to make billions from it rather than locking their machines away in a vault.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As soon as you started to extract energy from it, by the ball hitting a paddle or however, the machine would slow down. Hence perpetual motion is impossible. It may be a very efficient machine but it is definitely not perpetual motion that has been achieved.It looks to me like a scam anyway.

Maybe,maybe not....perhaps not on here on Earth,however take for example a Black Hole,we know they are out there,but even the fastest known thing in the universe-Light,is unable to escape.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

the laws of thermodynamics clearly state, "energy cannot be created or destroyed, you can only change its form"
ergo BS

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
the laws of thermodynamics clearly state, "energy cannot be created or destroyed, you can only change its form"
ergo BS

Indeed 2 million years from now we will all be 1 mile underground as a seam of coal..or something

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Maybe,maybe not....perhaps not on here on Earth,however take for example a Black Hole,we know they are out there,but even the fastest known thing in the universe-Light,is unable to escape.

penrose and hawking have proven that black holes do emit light,
they got awards and everything

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Er...sound is a form of energy and the ball makes a sound on the track. It will convert kinetic energy to sound. Unless you are saying that there is a tape of a ball making a sound in the room then how can it create sound without loosing energy? How can anything create sound without converting energy?

I know sound is energy, but it's not stopping the motion.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
7420484a7e6bccaf57eed32e15787a67.jpg

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
penrose and hawking have proven that black holes do emit light,
they got awards and everything

oh did they? i may stand corrected then and will have to look that up... :thumbsup: so somebody could indeed prove perpetual motion also,maybe.......

I think the EU referendum might be contender for the closest we have to it yet,what with all the waffling afterwards,anyway cheers for that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here