Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Food in theatre's.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Went to see the Jersey Boys with Mrs AR, last night at the Picadilly Theatre.
Show was very entertaining, with excellent music.

Before show started, there was the pre-warning of turning phones off and rustling sweet wrapping / bags.
I thought great, very good.
Oh know, half way through first act, it started.
The constant noise of some gimp eating as though their life depended on it.
Bearing in mind they could've eaten before, during the interval or heaven forbid afterwards, where scoff houses are unbelievably abundant in London.
One example was a rather rotund lady, who seemed to have one of those bottomless bags that you would see in a Harry Potter world, endless amount of food being devoured.

Anyway great show, I've had my moan :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You have done the right thing in posting on a message board they will never see, 14 hours after the play ended. Problem solved I'd say.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You have done the right thing in posting on a message board they will never see, 14 hours after the play ended. Problem solved I'd say.

Already have made a comment to theatre and Love Film.
Just wanted to vent my moans at you lot :angel:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've seen reports on here that at either Duke of York's or Duke's at Komedia. it's somehow considered acceptable to buy an on-site pizza and bring it into the screening. Never yet encountered it myself, and hope never to do so (cinema equivalent of stinky pasty in a train carriage, which itself is equivalent of fart in a sauna). Sake!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
To be honest, I see no real problem with eating in a theatre, just as long as it's done sensibly and quietly, (after all people have been eating in cinemas for years, popcorn, and choc-ices, drinking Kia Ora too). Presumably the rotund lady in question was doing none of these things?

Having said that, burgers, pizzas and any form of smelly hot food is a no no.

By the way, does anybody know if Kia Ora orange drink still exist?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I tend to eat in theatres all the time and to be honest it does bring complaints from those around me. It's probably because I'm a neurosurgeon...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Presumably the rotund lady in question was doing none of these things?

No not rustling the wrappings, that was behind me, she was busy spraying herself with deodorant after a mammoth exercise of picking up her dropped packet of Maltesers from off the floor.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Never acceptable. Nor in cinemas either. If you want a gargantuan bowl of popcorn, push off to the USA and stay there.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I wouldn't say my enjoyment was ruined if those Star War movie last year, no far from it! I was however somewhat amused to see a family of open up a carrier bag with 4 portions of fish and chips as soon as the lights went off, stunk the theatre out!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wouldn't say my enjoyment was ruined if those Star War movie last year, no far from it! I was however somewhat amused to see a family of open up a carrier bag with 4 portions of fish and chips as soon as the lights went off, stunk the theatre out!

Lol, I'd eat a large cod & chips in most places, but even l'd draw the line at scoffing one in the upper circle.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

I bet that made you feel hungry. :drool:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Was it Mayonnaise Sauce be with you :whistle:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Never acceptable. Nor in cinemas either. If you want a gargantuan bowl of popcorn, push off to the USA and stay there.

Yup, this. In what other scenario other than in a cinema does anybody ever feel any compulsion whatsoever to eat popcorn? Are you REALLY that programmable? ???

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Went to see the Jersey Boys with Mrs AR, last night at the Picadilly Theatre.
Show was very entertaining, with excellent music.

Before show started, there was the pre-warning of turning phones off and rustling sweet wrapping / bags.
I thought great, very good.
Oh know, half way through first act, it started.
The constant noise of some gimp eating as though their life depended on it.
Bearing in mind they could've eaten before, during the interval or heaven forbid afterwards, where scoff houses are unbelievably abundant in London.
One example was a rather rotund lady, who seemed to have one of those bottomless bags that you would see in a Harry Potter world, endless amount of food being devoured.

Anyway great show, I've had my moan :wink:

This article was doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/22/imelda-staunton-ban-eating-theatre/

Imelda later remarked on punters at the American Express Community Stadium, who for some reason are incapable of going to watch a football match without having to stuff their faces with a pie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here