Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ref: Paul Tierney

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I thought, from watching on Sky, that he had a reasonable game, very fair.
But oh no, look at a Leeds POV, very sour grapes :dunce:

Talking point 2: The poor performance by referee Paul Tierney
I usually don’t have a go at referees, as we all have bad days at work. However, all of us at the TIAT office were fuming and somewhat bemused at some of the decisions Mr. Tierney made in the game. The first penalty decision was one he did get right. It was a clear handball, and Kalvin Philips knew straight away he was gone.

But the rest of his decisions annoyed LUFC fans. The Ayling booking was very soft and very early in the game, changing how he played for the remainder. As Johnny said in the live feed, it looked very much like both players just tripped. You had to wonder if we were playing at Elland Road if the call would have been different

http://throughitalltogether.sbnatio...three-points-lufc-put-feet-back-on-the-ground

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I just couldnt understand the whinging from the Leeds fans. I thought the ref got the big decisions right.
Maybe they should instead be asking why they only had 2 shots none of which were on target.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ithoght the 2nd pen was very soft, as the ball was sailing way above the players heads and didn't look like threatening at all.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
So, they agree that the first penalty was a correct decision but Leeds had no shot on goal all game. There is nothing left to debate. The ref could have given 10 more penalties or not give the 2nd one, they still would have lost.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

I usually don’t have a go at referees, as we all have bad days at work. However, all of us at the TIAT office were fuming and somewhat bemused at some of the decisions Mr. Tierney made in the game. The first penalty decision was one he did get right. It was a clear handball, and Kalvin Philips knew straight away he was gone.

But the rest of his decisions annoyed LUFC fans. The Ayling booking was very soft and very early in the game, changing how he played for the remainder. As Johnny said in the live feed, it looked very much like both players just tripped. You had to wonder if we were playing at Elland Road if the call would have been different

http://throughitalltogether.sbnatio...three-points-lufc-put-feet-back-on-the-ground
Think that's a fair view of the game to be honest. Obviously different sets of fans see things differently, but I'd agree the second penalty was a bit soft. I would disagree about the yellow for the foul on Murphy (which was clear yellow for me) but apart from that all pretty much as I saw it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Ithoght the 2nd pen was very soft, as the ball was sailing way above the players heads and didn't look like threatening at all.

Must admit, I would have been pretty miffed if the same thing had been given against us.

There was a Leeds fan waiting to go up the coach park lift who was adamant the Refs are trying to make sure they don't get to the Premier League, he seemed quite agitated by it.

I reminded him that each team is only allowed one goalkeeper, I was half expecting him to get more annoyed when he shook my hand and said "fair point lad"

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Wasn't overly convinced on the second penalty but it's not as if it made any difference to the outcome. They were never going to score.

A Leeds fan I know was also ranting about the ref. I asked him why, he genuinely argued that Phillips should've only got a booking because the penalty was sufficient punishment :moo:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought the ref was slightly soft on them and he could have dished out another couple of yellows.

I think he reached the "I can't give them any more" point so just stopped.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Second penalty fairly soft but I'd say in line with this season's instructions to clamp down on holding inside the box. And he had already warned Leeds once before a previous set-piece when their defender was tussling with Dunk, also giving them the benefit of the doubt when the kick was taken as it looked like Stephens was dragged off the ball. So falls into the 'patience running out' category I believe and it WAS a foul, so fair enough.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I thought the yellow for the trip on Murray was a bit harsh, but I also thought Murray was unlucky to go in the book for an soft foul, but there seemed a bit of 'levelling it up' going on.

After that I thought a few of their challenges were lucky to escape yellows. The 2nd pen could have gone either way, but he clearly had Dunk's arm and had been at it all game.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
There were a couple of soft bookings. Murray's & aylings but viera should've been booked twice

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I've got a Leeds friend, who via Facebook is telling me he watched several replays of Phillip's handball, and it only hit his shoulder, so according to him, we shouldn't have been given either penalty.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I thought the yellow for the trip on Murray was a bit harsh, but I also thought Murray was unlucky to go in the book for an soft foul, but there seemed a bit of 'levelling it up' going on.

After that I thought a few of their challenges were lucky to escape yellows. The 2nd pen could have gone either way, but he clearly had Dunk's arm and had been at it all game.

To me, it was an absolutely justified yellow. Murphy beat him for pace and cut inside him. If Ayling had wanted to avoid fouling him, he could have. He was never going to catch him so he made sure that he took him down.

If you don't give yellow cards for fouls like that, full backs will kick wingers out of the game.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
To me, it was an absolutely justified yellow. Murphy beat him for pace and cut inside him. If Ayling had wanted to avoid fouling him, he could have. He was never going to catch him so he made sure that he took him down.

If you don't give yellow cards for fouls like that, full backs will kick wingers out of the game.

It looked accidental to me

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Thought the ref got most correct. But he was very whistle happy, always stopping the game when it was not needed. Also booking Murray for his first foul then letting off some Leeds players for far worse was inconsistent.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I thought the ref was slightly soft on them and he could have dished out another couple of yellows.

I think he reached the "I can't give them any more" point so just stopped.[/QUOTE

I thought he should have sent Kyle Bartley off for the penalty foul. He had just been booked for a foul where he grabbed Hemed when he'd turned him. Then he grabbed Dunk's arm for the penalty.

Ref had earlier booked Murray for shirt pulling but bottled it for Bartley as this was in the area and he had already sent off 1 Leeds player.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here