Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I heard a rumour (from a v.reliable source) that the decision to buy a player like Duffy was made by Hughton after the Burnley home game last season and seeing the way that Dunk was getting beaten in the air, or at least outmuscled, by Burnley. Whoever, in the club, identified Duffy and then managed to persuade Blackburn to part with him for so little money considering his age, ability and him being a full international deserves lots of plaudits.

Duffy has been such a pleasure to watch this season and I think he's made Dunk a better player too. Their partnership is one that I think we'll all talk about in years to come. Their stats are incredible so far and if (big if) we go up then that purchase of Duffy could go down as one of our best bits of business we've ever done as a club.

You can probably tell, I really like the guy!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Very good purchase.

But I think Blackburn had no choice but to get rid as there was virtual mutiny in his last couple of games with them. Engineered by the player? Stranger things have happened!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I heard a rumour (from a v.reliable source) that the decision to buy a player like Duffy was made by Hughton after the Burnley home game last season and seeing the way that Dunk was getting beaten in the air, or at least outmuscled, by Burnley. Whoever, in the club, identified Duffy and then managed to persuade Blackburn to part with him for so little money considering his age, ability and him being a full international deserves lots of plaudits.

Duffy has been such a pleasure to watch this season and I think he's made Dunk a better player too. Their partnership is one that I think we'll all talk about in years to come. Their stats are incredible so far and if (big if) we go up then that purchase of Duffy could go down as one of our best bits of business we've ever done as a club.

Was saying the same thing to my son last night. He's quality and the partnership with Dunk is a pleasure to watch. Could have had a hat trick too if Norwood's delivery had been better.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Agreed, the guy is immense and when I see the ball lofted into our half I begin to grin as I'm confident of what's about to happen.
#brickshithouse

Dec 29, 2011
The most incredible thing, for me, is that he's younger than dunk. When I see him play I just assume hes an experienced 32-year old who has seen it and done it and that he's bringing stability and assurance to the youngster Dunk. But he's only 24 and absolutely quality. Can't help but feel for Goldson who really earnt his first team spot last year, but Duffy was an inspired signing.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Who would have thought, after last season, that Goldson would not be good enough to get in the first 11?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
He has been massively impressive. Felt sorry for him being thrown in at Newcastle away. He had not been with us long enough to start at that stage. Since then he has been outstanding. Best CB partnership I have seen for the Albion

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I reckon you cold stick Shane Duffy on one side of a tennis court and have Andy Murray on the other end smashing balls towards him and he'd still head every single one straight back at him. He's phenomenal.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I think Dunk was a little hamstrung by covering for Greer last season. Greer also won very little in the air. Now Dunk and Duffy have formed the perfect defensive partnership, there doesn't have to be last ditch tackles and diving in. They both have good timing.
Bruno has also benefited from Duffy's reliability. The only mistake I've seen him (Duffy) make is the last minute goal for Preston when he was beaten to the header.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Lot of deserved man love going on here... think the addition of Duffy has turned Dunk back into that multi million pound player that many believed him to be, rather than the clown he looked like becoming last season. He has taken so much pressure of that Dunk has been allowed to shine!

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I think Dunk was a little hamstrung by covering for Greer last season. Greer also won very little in the air. Now Dunk and Duffy have formed the perfect defensive partnership, there doesn't have to be last ditch tackles and diving in. They both have good timing.
Bruno has also benefited from Duffy's reliability. The only mistake I've seen him (Duffy) make is the last minute goal for Preston when he was beaten to the header.
It was goldson that got out muscled for the Burnley equaliser.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Who would have thought, after last season, that Goldson would not be good enough to get in the first 11?

Goodson is good enough , just unfortunate that we have two other CB,s that are exceptional at the moment. Goodson will get his chance as injuries and suspension take their toll

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I heard a rumour (from a v.reliable source) that the decision to buy a player like Duffy was made by Hughton after the Burnley home game last season and seeing the way that Dunk was getting beaten in the air, or at least outmuscled, by Burnley.

Good story. Sounds feasible. I wonder if it was Goldson and not Dunk though...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here