Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What did we think of Garry Monk?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Difficult to judge a manager when his team play 70 minutes with ten men, but he's spoken of very highly by many in the game and they've had a great run recently. What did we make of him?

I thought even with eleven on the pitch they looked too narrow and vulnerable to attack on both wings. Seemed to come for the point from the off. Instructed his team to clatter us when necessary. Possibly one game too many for his team (following cup in mid week). Interesting to see a half time substitution. Seemed calm on the touchline throughout.

Nothing to make me think he's a genius, but if the team ran out of gas, against a side as ruthless as BHAFC, who would shine.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He was okay and was surprisingly magnanimous about the penalties (I'd have been a little less forgiving about the second if I were the opposition manager) but his side showed very little guile. They were all huge Muscle Marys. There was no finesse, there were no lithe and pacy wingers, they look like they spend more time at the gym than on the training ground.

Fair enough if that's your plan but there's not many options for a Plan B with that approach.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He got undone by a better manager.
It won't happen too often, to him, this season, but it'll happen even less to Hughton.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Can't help thinking of Harry Monk.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Difficult to judge a manager when his team play 70 minutes with ten men, but he's spoken of very highly by many in the game and they've had a great run recently. What did we make of him?

I thought even with eleven on the pitch they looked too narrow and vulnerable to attack on both wings. Seemed to come for the point from the off. Instructed his team to clatter us when necessary. Possibly one game too many for his team (following cup in mid week). Interesting to see a half time substitution. Seemed calm on the touchline throughout.

Nothing to make me think he's a genius, but if the team ran out of gas, against a side as ruthless as BHAFC, who would shine.

Who did Leeds play in the cup in midweek then ? Last game they played was Villa last saturday

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I vaguely remember us almost signing him from Southampton back around the September 11th game at the Withdean. I think he was a reserve team player for then but played that night.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
After the game seemed to be happy to autograph items/pose for photos with both Leeds & Brighton fans a lot of of managers would have just ignored them (well the Brighton fans) if they had lost a game. This says a lot to me about him as a person and manager . As a football tactician difficult to say BUT i don't think he has a lot to work with their so them being in playoffs shows he is doing something right even if that is strong arming his way to the top.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I like him. He's obviously done very well with Leeds - last night was just an off night for them - every club has them.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
He was okay and was surprisingly magnanimous about the penalties (I'd have been a little less forgiving about the second if I were the opposition manager) but his side showed very little guile. They were all huge Muscle Marys. There was no finesse, there were no lithe and pacy wingers, they look like they spend more time at the gym than on the training ground.

Fair enough if that's your plan but there's not many options for a Plan B with that approach.

Both definite pens.

I thought he went too defensive last night - guess the dancing Leeds fans didn't care but I'd want my team to give it more of a go

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He got undone by a better manager.
It won't happen too often, to him, this season, but it'll happen even less to Hughton.

Nothing to do with quality of managers. Monk has only been there 5 minutes. When he gets time and his own team, then judge. (If he gets time) Better players decided last nights game.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I thought he went too defensive last night - guess the dancing Leeds fans didn't care but I'd want my team to give it more of a go
I don't agree as first the right winger and then Roofe were often playing as a second striker in the second half. I would suggest that as the only header I saw Wood win was against Norwood, that our defence were the reason they didn't get a sniff rather than them setting up too defensively. Especially when you factor in they had 10 men against one of the best counter attacking teams in the division, I was actually impressed with the way he set them up in the second half.

Good manager that I had a lot of time for until he took the Leeds job despite how outspoken he had been previously.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I really like him, he doesn't whinge and moan about things being unfair. He has got his Leeds side playing to their strengths but ultimately they don't have a top 10 squad so he is working wonders if he can keep them in the playoffs.

Leeds don't have many stand out players so Monk must take the credit for preparing them well for their matches and the results they've been getting recently

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think he's done very well with a side that most would have tipped to be bottom half of the table.

Unfortunately he lost to us yesterday, so I fully expect him to be dismissed Monday morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here