1 Brighton 20 +11 42
2 Middlesbrough 20 +17 40
3 Hull 20 +16 38
4 Derby 20 +15 38
5 Burnley 20 +7 35
6 Ipswich 20 +2 31
7 Cardiff 20 +4 30

* Bigger cushion to 3rd than last season
* Burnley who were 5th, were actually seven points behind us, similar to Reading now. But I don't think Reading are half as good as Burnley were last season, so don't see them overhauling us.
* We were just about to enter a catastrophic injury period, and an 8 game losing run. I don't see that happening this time.
* Our goal difference this time round is worth half a point rather than minus half a point.

Obviously we could lose it from here, but surely we're not going to miss out AGAIN are we?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
We seem to be getting the rub of the green as well this season, goalkeepers making mistakes instead of playing blinders, not hitting the woodwork every match..... just seems the small things are going ou way a bit more. Last season our luck stank.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Now:
1 Brighton 20 18 42
2 Newcastle 19 21 40
3 Reading 19 1 34
4 Leeds 20 2 32
5 Birmingham 19 2 31
6 Sheff Wed 19 1 31
7 Norwich 19 4 30

Last year, for comparison:

1 Brighton 20 +11 42
2 Middlesbrough 20 +17 40
3 Hull 20 +16 38
4 Derby 20 +15 38
5 Burnley 20 +7 35
6 Ipswich 20 +2 31
7 Cardiff 20 +4 30

* Bigger cushion to 3rd than last season
* Burnley who were 5th, were actually seven points behind us, similar to Reading now. But I don't think Reading are half as good as Burnley were last season, so don't see them overhauling us.
* We were just about to enter a catastrophic injury period, and an 8 game losing run. I don't see that happening this time.
* Our goal difference this time round is worth half a point rather than minus half a point.

Obviously we could lose it from here, but surely we're not going to miss out AGAIN are we?

Friday night. One week left before I finish for Christmas. A cheeky pint in the village pub with my children when I got in from work (they had lemonade). A hearty log fire roaring away and the Christmas tree lights haven't fused yet.

And now this analysis. I LOVE you Simster :xmas:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
After last season's crushing disappointment I didn't expect we would be in this position especially considering the squads and money available to the relegated Prem teams.

There have been many times ... far too many times, where being a BHA supporter was inextricably linked with heartache and disappointment but these are heady days and it would be good to remember and appreciate how far we have come. Quality Team/squad .. Quality infrastructure ... Quality Stadium ...Quality owner ... Quality support .. Premier League ready ,,*tick* ... fingers crossed.

:bhasign:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
After last season's crushing disappointment I didn't expect we would be in this position especially considering the squads and money available to the relegated Prem teams.

There have been many times ... far too many times, where being a BHA supporter was inextricably linked with heartache and disappointment but these are heady days and it would be good to remember and appreciate how far we have come. Quality Team/squad .. Quality infrastructure ... Quality Stadium ...Quality owner ... Quality support .. Premier League ready ,,*tick* ... fingers crossed.

:bhasign:

Quality manager and coaching team too ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
A) Pls don't say we're going up yet.
B) wait until it's equal games played before analysing.
C) We didn't go on an 8 game losing run - it was 8 without a win.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Last season we matched Burnley & Boro for goals scored, but conceded more. This season we're scoring goals, but now have the meanest defence in the leagues. 12 clean sheets and counting.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I think another factor is that the league is a lot more even this year - there are a whole load of decent teams who will take points off each other (apart from the top 7 there's also Derby, Fulham and Villa). I don't think there will be three teams who get circa 90 points this season.

The one thing that worries me at the moment is the lack of goals away from home - we have scored just about the fewest away goals in the league (even Rotherham have scored more than us!)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No team ever got promoted by Xmas. But most occupying these spaces don't get relegated!! What? I'm a Brighton supporter, it's in my blood to take the half empty perspective! :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We seem to be getting the rub of the green as well this season, goalkeepers making mistakes instead of playing blinders, not hitting the woodwork every match..... just seems the small things are going ou way a bit more. Last season our luck stank.
People underestimate the importance of luck.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I think another factor is that the league is a lot more even this year - there are a whole load of decent teams who will take points off each other (apart from the top 7 there's also Derby, Fulham and Villa). I don't think there will be three teams who get circa 90 points this season.

The one thing that worries me at the moment is the lack of goals away from home - we have scored just about the fewest away goals in the league (even Rotherham have scored more than us!)

And conceded 5 in 9. Just one goal conceded in last six away games. You are a hard man to please.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

That's because everybody is shit scared of us and dig in and defend against us even when they are at home. That's borne out by how few we concede even away from home.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
We are normally woeful over Christmas so I'm not getting carried away at all. The next two games will be tough. Hoping for a Derby loss on Sunday as they are in top form and powering up the table.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The standard of the league this year is lower as well, Brighton and Newcastle are miles ahead of everyone else who keep dropping points.

Derby and Villa should be doing better but the poor start of the season means they won't threaten.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Certainly in a better position than last year but we have to focus on this year. We have only played 43% of our games. Stronger team, better squad, more experienced, more expectant crowd, less injuries and teams 3-6 in table at present don't look good enough to catch us.
Any slip up though and we could face Villa, Norwich and Derby in the play offs.
Great spirit and effort from the whole club though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here