Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surveillance Cameras

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Hi All

Anyone have the low down on surveillance cameras in terms of how they can be directed, etc. etc.

My neighbours have one mounted on a large shed/outbuilding which is pointed rather more directly at my kitchen (may even take in my bedroom window) than to their rear door which, I would have thought, would have been the thing to cover with such a camera. The local police came around took one look and said "entitled to maintain security of their property" Said representative of our finest didn't reckon it was set in my direction (despite my movements indoors changing the light pattern on the aforementioned camera). There is also a small web cam on their front window frame which directs towards my sitting room bay window !

Believe me there is no justification for their action but he is a would be geek formerly employed in security.

If anyone has had any experience of this sort of thing I would be pleased to hear. Edna ?

Cheers ???

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Why not knock on his door and state your concerns and ask if it is possible to see the cameras focus just to put your mind at rest .

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hi All

My neighbours have one mounted on a large shed/outbuilding which is pointed rather more directly at my kitchen (may even take in my bedroom window)
Cheers ???

My advice would be to make sure you record all of your ''bedroom activities'' yourself. Then copy right it yourself. That way you will ensure that you can sue them for Performing Royalties every time he watches you and your wife on the job.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Build a higher wall install shutters set a light beam at the lens post an invoice through his door for entertainment provided.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as i recall from CCTV (loosely briefed on SIA) you cannot point at anything off your property. you can cover doors, approaches to property, or the public highway. i also believe if you're filming you have to allow people to see what is recoded under the data protection act. i'd read up on it online, sure theres info there, and have a polite civil word, if the cameras are pointed at your property and remain that way, fire off some legal action at them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My next door neighbour has security lights/cameras fitted front and back of his property and we are terraced houses... I used to really dislike it but its damned handy for finding which key is your front door key when you come home a bit squiffy

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
as i recall from CCTV (loosely briefed on SIA) you cannot point at anything off your property. you can cover doors, approaches to property, or the public highway. i also believe if you're filming you have to allow people to see what is recorded under the data protection act. i'd read up on it online, sure there's info there, and have a polite civil word, if the cameras are pointed at your property and remain that way, fire off some legal action at them.

Thank you for that and please tell me what is SIA, regretably civil words are not possible on the other part, Civil action would be the ultimate but hope that will be unnecessary.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not entirely sure your duvet cover goes with those curtains.

Just saying, like.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thank you for that and please tell me what is SIA, regretably civil words are not possible on the other part, Civil action would be the ultimate but hope that will be unnecessary.

Security Industry Authority, covers CCTV training and other security. if they dont want to be civil, the data protection act is likely to tie them up in bureaucracy without costing you an actual court case to start. though i dont recall how it affects private individuals. i'd at least tell them whats coming so they can amend their ways. i dont think laser would do anything, while risk police action against you, which we know sods law says they'll take more seriously than the original grievance.

Last edited:

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
If set up correctly the cameras that may be looking into your windows should have those windows blocked out. So the camera the see the house but it will have a box to block seeing in the window/windows.
I work for a security company and you have to make sure that if cameras have neighbours windows in the windows are blurred out.
Sometimes signage must be used but not much on residential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here