Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

21st Century Fox takeover bid for Sky TV...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Interesting...

If SKY are receptive I can see some big battles upcoming.

Apple are looking for a way into broadcasting and the Premier League rights and huge customer base will be enticing for any media company with cash to burn.

Virgin or BT may also be sniffing around...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Guido Fawkes view...

http://order-order.com/2016/12/09/murdoch-wants-sky/

"The usual bed-wetters will freak out at the news that Rupert Murdoch is offering £18.5 billion for the 60.9% of Sky that 21st Century Fox does not already control. Sky shares jumped 32% on the news. Before Murdoch was rudely interrupted by the Leveson Inquiry he was poised to take control of Sky. Expect the BBC-Guardian axis to go into meltdown. After Brexit and Trump, Rupert getting control of the rest of Sky will just be the icing on the cake for luvvies and snowflakes across the land…"

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Guido Fawkes view...

http://order-order.com/2016/12/09/murdoch-wants-sky/

"The usual bed-wetters will freak out at the news that Rupert Murdoch is offering £18.5 billion for the 60.9% of Sky that 21st Century Fox does not already control. Sky shares jumped 32% on the news. Before Murdoch was rudely interrupted by the Leveson Inquiry he was poised to take control of Sky. Expect the BBC-Guardian axis to go into meltdown. After Brexit and Trump, Rupert getting control of the rest of Sky will just be the icing on the cake for luvvies and snowflakes across the land…"

Too right. The sooner the media is in the hands of one man the better. Screw the yoghurt-knitting SJWs.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
No surprises there, always been his intention. Maybe if he does he will become less of a mercenary, supporting whoeveris most likely to get into power (as in the UK previously) and take more of a Fox US approach of consistent support of the right/far right/wingnuts. It's not to be looked forward to I think imo.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Too right. The sooner the media is in the hands of one man the better. Screw the yoghurt-knitting SJWs.

Excellent ! once the BBC has been castrated by the Tories that will leave us with two perfectly balanced news outlets...... Murdoch v Russia Today ( prop. V.Putin )

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Government (Culture Secretary Karen Bradley) intervenes to ask regulators to examine Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox's takeover bid for Sky... Ofcom will assess the public interest... and a 'fit and proper assessment'

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Their sports coverage in the US is quality and they currently own all the rights to the Champions League in the US too, not to mention shares in big streaming sites like Hulu. Wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Their sports coverage in the US is quality and they currently own all the rights to the Champions League in the US too, not to mention shares in big streaming sites like Hulu. Wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

I wouldn’t say that – any sports channel which employs Alexi Lalas and Warren Barton as commentators has to be suspect.

Just glad that NBC got the Prem rights, they have a much better commentary team than Fox

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I wouldn’t say that – any sports channel which employs Alexi Lalas and Warren Barton as commentators has to be suspect.

Just glad that NBC got the Prem rights, they have a much better commentary team than Fox

I will admit that I tend to watch CL games at work so don't have any commentary a lot of the time....

NBC is good though, the fact that you can watch any prem game makes me very happy if we go up.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Government (Culture Secretary Karen Bradley) intervenes to ask regulators to examine Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox's takeover bid for Sky... Ofcom will assess the public interest... and a 'fit and proper assessment'

Hunt was in Murdoch's pocket before phone hacking. This takeover should be stopped, too much media power with one organisation. 38 degrees have been all over it

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Its not BT so Ofcom will be lenient in this case

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here