Schteve McLaren and Henri Lansbury

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
McClaren may be a figure of ridicule, but he hasn't half turned around Derby's fortunes since he returned to Pride Park. 6 wins on the spin and after winning against Forest today, they're in the top 6.

Some managers are just suited to certain clubs and I think McClaren and Derby go very well together, whereas he was always an ill-fitting appointment for Newcastle.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
When there is no pressure on Schteve, his teams normally perform very well. As we have seen with Boro, Newcastle, England & Derby; when the big games come along or if his teams are in the top or bottom 3, he cracks like a papadum.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
McClaren may be a figure of ridicule, but he hasn't half turned around Derby's fortunes since he returned to Pride Park. 6 wins on the spin and after winning against Forest today, they're in the top 6.

Some managers are just suited to certain clubs and I think McClaren and Derby go very well together, whereas he was always an ill-fitting appointment for Newcastle.

Yes. Spot on, he does well for Derby, hopefully around March they'll blow up like they normally do. Good team though.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
When there is no pressure on Schteve, his teams normally perform very well. As we have seen with Boro, Newcastle, England & Derby; when the big games come along or if his teams are in the top or bottom 3, he cracks like a papadum.

Slightly unfair with regards to Derby. The first season he was there, they were undone by Bobby Z in the play-off final when really they should have won. I think the 2nd season, their choke was in no small part due to McClaren allowing himself to get distracted by the speculation of him going to Newcastle and this then transmitted itself to the players.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

A less classy person than me would point out that he did pretty well the week before the QPR game :)

We were fantastic with him in charge for 15 months or so, definitely the most enjoyable and successful football for about 15 years - Anyone saying that we 'bottled it', either against QPR is just using a cheap sound bite and probably (unsurprisingly) didn't follow goings on at Derby very closely. Redknapp did a job on us (as they say) at Wembley, sh*t happens. The following season you can criticise McLaren for 2 things - 1) No plan B, when we were good, we were very good but when Chris Martin got injured the wheels came off quite spectacularly as he was absolutely key to the way we played. 2) The Newcastle thing, his head was turned in January by the Newcastle job - He clucked up in not quashing that and has admitted it. The rest is history! 'Bottled it' doesn't actually mean anything.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yes. Spot on, he does well for Derby, hopefully around March they'll blow up like they normally do. Good team though.

How I wish that were true, it would have meant that for about 7 seasons we didn't bounce between utter dogsh1t and modestly mediocre. At least it would have been fun from Aug - Mar :)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How I wish that were true, it would have meant that for about 7 seasons we didn't bounce between utter dogsh1t and modestly mediocre. At least it would have been fun from Aug - Mar :)

[emoji2] always feels (play-off season aside), that you fade near the end......

However, 'living it' each year I'm sure you are right.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here