Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Z retires

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Albion legend Bobby Zamora is hanging up his boots after a glittering 17-year career.

The ex-England striker has conceded defeat to the hip injury which cut short his second spell with the Seagulls last season.

Zamora, 36 next month, has been without a club since Albion released him in the summer.

He confirmed his retirement in an interview on the club website with former team-mate Adam Virgo.

Asked by Virgo is it the end, Zamora said: “I think so, yes. It was a frustrating time last year.

“My hip decided to let me down at the final hurdle. It resulted in just training on a Thursday and being in pain.

“It came to the end and I needed an op. I had the operation before the end of the season. It was frustrating but it was something I needed to do. I certainly couldn’t play.”

Zamora made the final appearance of his career in March at the Amex against Sheffield Wednesday, who knocked Albion out of the play-offs after Middlesbrough pipped them for automatic promotion.

He said: “It was horrible and knowing now it went down to goal difference, I’d like to think I could have contributed a couple of goals which would have made the difference.”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14955939.Albion_legend_Zamora_admits_it_s_all_over/

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What a total hero that man is. It's so frustrating that he missed out on the fairytale final season by one goal. More so for him, as he says, if he'd stayed fit we'd probably have done it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Feel privileged to have seen so many of Bobby Z's Brighton goals, those promotions just happened to come at a time when I had fewer ties and more time and got to a lot of games home and away.

Even last season he lifted what had become such a flat atmosphere the year before, sure that helped get us off to the good start not to mention a few vital goals.

Been a very good career, at least four clubs - us, West Ham, Fulham and QPR - will remember him for the things he did and goals he scored. Us most, of course!

Enjoy your retirement, Bobby, and thanks for everything.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Albion legend. Thanks for everything Bobby. Nice touch to come back for one last go.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
come in No 25 your time is up
thanks for some great memories

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Rude not to...

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Legend. We had Peter Ward back in the day and Bobby is up there with him in my book.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Legend. We had Peter Ward back in the day and Bobby is up there with him in my book.

Spot on, Bob ! I even felt that Bobby was a fraction faster when pouncing onto a pass into the box or picking up a loose ball there and scoring from seemingly nothing. Wardy will always be THE Albion player, but Bobby deserves his LEGENDARY status. We're privileged to have had them both (as well as Garry Nelson bridging the gap between those two). Great players, great times.:ascarf:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
When Bobby scored that great goal against Huddersfield at the Amex last season obviously everyone jumped to their feet and was jumping around. Then I looked down and saw my son was crying. As he is only 6 I asked him if he was OK as I thought maybe he got bashed in the uproar. He just wiped his tears and said the goal made him so happy it made him cry!

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
a privilege to have seen him - I'll never ever forget when he scored against Bristol City last season. The North erupted because we scored - and then the second eruption when we all realized it was the man himself. And his goal against Cardiff at Withdean - the stuff of memories. Bloody love Bobby. Definitely retire the 25 shirt - all time Albion great. And seems like a lovely man as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here