Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Starlizard! Interesting Article about Mr Bloom.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It was interesting the first 3 times it was posted! :lolol:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's been posted several times, and to be honest I don't think it's a case of when TB's money runs out, by all accounts the money lost is pocket change to him. It's if he gets fed up with us being the nearly men every season.

TomTom

Feb 3, 2009
NW10, London
Football is just madness. Don't get me wrong, I'm really thankful for everything TB has done for the club, but It's impossible to sustain, unless you reach the PL. But surely it's only a matter of time before that bubble bursts! (as all bubbles do, apart Michael Jackson pet monkey perhaps)

Nah, don't post very much (at all) as I have little to say. about anything really. But I have enjoyed the Birthday messages. So thanks for that!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Football is just madness. Don't get me wrong, I'm really thankful for everything TB has done for the club, but It's impossible to sustain
Well that depends on how much the club costs, and how much the owner makes. If the owner earns £50m a year, and the club costs him £20m a year, then it's not impossible to sustain.

Not that I want the club to be costing our owner anything, one of the main reasons I want promotion is so that he might get something back.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well that depends on how much the club costs, and how much the owner makes. If the owner earns £50m a year, and the club costs him £20m a year, then it's not impossible to sustain.

Not that I want the club to be costing our owner anything, one of the main reasons I want promotion is so that he might get something back.

This....for TB it feels like a combination of a labour of love and a hobby - we are just very, very lucky he can afford to sustain it.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Exactly Trig. I always find it odd that people use the term 'not sustainable' when they have no idea of TB's wealth / income. There is speculation that he's already a billionaire, and the few articles you read on starlizard make reference to making £100m a year on a decent year. I would far rather we didn't need Tony's help, but that's modern football if you want to be remotely competitive. Hopefully he can be paid back over the next few years and we can bed in to a sustainable yo-yo club. I think I'd prefer yo-yo to bottom-mid PL mediocrity. Promotion and relegation battles are where the fun / stress is :)

But then I've already lost my hair so I've got less at stake than some

TomTom

Feb 3, 2009
NW10, London
'Sustainable' is probably not the right word. I suppose most football teams have always had benefactors.Traditionally the town/cities local millionaire, more commonly now a far eastern Billionaire.

I suppose nothing has really changed. But the sums of money are just eye watering. There must come a time when whole thing implodes. It can't carry on this way....can it?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Exactly Trig. I always find it odd that people use the term 'not sustainable' when they have no idea of TB's wealth / income. There is speculation that he's already a billionaire, and the few articles you read on starlizard make reference to making £100m a year on a decent year. I would far rather we didn't need Tony's help, but that's modern football if you want to be remotely competitive. Hopefully he can be paid back over the next few years and we can bed in to a sustainable yo-yo club. I think I'd prefer yo-yo to bottom-mid PL mediocrity. Promotion and relegation battles are where the fun / stress is :)

But then I've already lost my hair so I've got less at stake than some
I think he has said that he never expects (or needs) to be paid back. But yes, he deserves to not have to keep ploughing massive amounts of cash in and as you say, even one season in the top league would now mean that that would be the case.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suppose nothing has really changed. But the sums of money are just eye watering. There must come a time when whole thing implodes. It can't carry on this way....can it?
That's what Prat Sugar said a few decades ago. It's quite complex - where is the money coming from:
well some if from TV deals, and those figures may drop with people using things like youtube more and more.
some is from foreign investors/playboys. That could stop, but it doesn't look like stopping any time soon. Xi Jinping wants football to be massive in China, so extremely wealthy Chinese businessmen will see pros from owning English clubs.

The money is obscene, but there's not a lot we can do about that. Just hope we can get promoted and get some of Tony's money back.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That's what Prat Sugar said a few decades ago. It's quite complex - where is the money coming from:
well some if from TV deals, and those figures may drop with people using things like youtube more and more.
some is from foreign investors/playboys. That could stop, but it doesn't look like stopping any time soon. Xi Jinping wants football to be massive in China, so extremely wealthy Chinese businessmen will see pros from owning English clubs.

The money is obscene, but there's not a lot we can do about that. Just hope we can get promoted and get some of Tony's money back.
There was a really good article a while ago about why football economics makes absolutely no sense but is still sustainable. But I can't remember where it was or who wrote it so, er sorry.

The gist was that there will always be people willing to pay to watch football and there will always be very rich people who want to own clubs either because they are fans or for status (or for avoiding getting chucked in a Siberian prison etc).

I suppose though that it's not the only area of finance that's nonsensical. When companies like Twitter etc can be worth billions without actually making any money, ever.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love the idea that anyone STILL believes Tony Bloom isnt a multi-billionaire. It's like Flat Earthers.

.... Hopefully he can be paid back over the next few years ....
And then what happens? Do you expect him to sell the Club? Who to? Some speculator from the far east? Some dodgy Italian crook with a track record of conning folk out of their hard-earned savings?

Most of me prefers the "unsustainable" situation we are now in to the "sustainable" outcome of a greedy outsider moving in.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
And then what happens? Do you expect him to sell the Club? Who to? Some speculator from the far east? Some dodgy Italian crook with a track record of conning folk out of their hard-earned savings?

Most of me prefers the "unsustainable" situation we are now in to the "sustainable" outcome of a greedy outsider moving in.

God no. By 'pay Tony back' and 'sustainable' I don't mean 'sell up', I just mean that the club repays the chairman his loans, and the club owns the stadium, academy and training grounds, eventually without debt. I want Tony to stay at the helm as long as he can, but without the need for the significant financial support - because at some point he won't be here anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here