Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we having more "BIG games" this season than last?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Contemplating tonight's game, I don't remember as many BIG games from the first half of last season. Maybe that's just me.

We need a big atmosphere tonight - think Norwich rather than Villa. Be on top of your game please.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Contemplating tonight's game, I don't remember as many BIG games from the first half of last season. Maybe that's just me.

We need a big atmosphere tonight - think Norwich rather than Villa. Be on top of your game please.

We had no big games in the first half of the season. You must recall that during our long unbeaten run we were told everytime you may be unbeaten but you haven't played anyone good yet. So zero big games before Boro at home

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
We had no big games in the first half of the season. You must recall that during our long unbeaten run we were told everytime you may be unbeaten but you haven't played anyone good yet. So zero big games before Boro at home

Derby Away? Hull at Home?

But yeah most of them were in April and May 2016...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Southern Failway's torpedoing of beer sales will lead to a more subdued atmosphere.

:nono:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

Tonight is going to be MASSIVE. The stage is set. Brighton and Hove, in fact the whole of Sussex, EXPECTS. (Or at least has their fingers crossed).

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Echo this fully. Won't be a sell-out due to night-time transport worries, but the, say, 25,000 die-hards will be there and can get the atmosphere going. Tony, Tony Bloom; Tony, Tony Bloom !

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I don't think we really had any "big" games until towards the end of the season, maybe Burnley onwards. The first half of the season got to the point we were looking not to lose to keep the unbeaten run going. Then when we did lose and the injuries hit us we were left with a lot of catch up to do and at times we just didn't look like not winning games, almost as if we had nothing to lose.

This year feels like we are under more pressure to keep winning the points hence every game seems a big game.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Very much this, we need a loud vocal intimidating atmosphere tonight from the very start....

Leeds will be up for this tonight as will their fans, and if we get behind the team vocally this will help the squad after all "Together"

Let's do this thing.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Very much this, we need a loud vocal intimidating atmosphere tonight from the very start....

Leeds will be up for this tonight as will their fans, and if we get behind the team vocally this will help the squad after all "Together"

Let's do this thing.

I know that if WE don't make some noise, the Leeds fans will instead.

Hugh Jorgan

Jul 30, 2008
Brighton

Completely agree seems to be never ending - Tonight is a huge game, another win will send out a big statement as well as putting a big gap between us and third place (even if only for 24 hours) and real pressure on all those teams close to us. Lose and the teams i consider a danger (Leeds, Derby, Massive, Villa) all have the chance to close the gap.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As much as we might not like to hear it, comparing and contrasting this and last seasons fixture list does seem to back that up.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Surely we should treat them all as 'big games'. Whilst people talk about the 'greater' value of points against the 'top' clubs IMO points are points.

IMO games in second half of the season became 'big' last year because we were getting nearer to the end e.g. MKDons and Charlton away.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Surely we should treat them all as 'big games'. Whilst people talk about the 'greater' value of points against the 'top' clubs IMO points are points.

IMO games in second half of the season became 'big' last year because we were getting nearer to the end e.g. MKDons and Charlton away.

I agree with that and, more importantly, I'm sure Chris Hughton does too, but I also sense you know what I mean.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I'm sure the massed choir of the NS will already be prepared for tonight's game v DL [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]
As the Championship is always mentioned as the most competitive league in the world, every game for the Albion is going to be big for them to get to the PL. :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Barnsley at home was considered a big game at the time... They were above us etc!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Our expectations were low at the start of last season. The aim at the start of this season was top two, which makes games against rivals that much more significant.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Every game is massive this season because we've got a realistic chance of going up in one of the top two spots. Simple as that.

If we were bumbling around 10th place or whatever I don't think we'd consider tonight as a big game, just another chance to dick our friends from Yorkshire.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I think its something to do with the expectation this season, certainly as we've had some recent good results.

Some of the games have a "result means more than the performance" feel about them, a bit like towards then end of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here