Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drug epidemic off Wellington Road, close to primary School are drugs taking over Brighton?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Being a parent of a child that goes to Fairlight's School I am slightly worried, and myself have seen dealing and people high whilst collecting my child from after school club and seen young men with ashed faced young girls going into Preston & Brighton Graveyard on Hartington Road.

Do you think drugs are getting worse in Brighton ?
Having lived in London, Camden included I having seen it all, the deals, where they hide the drugs under tyres, in between bricks after they have dug out the cement etc. However I moved away from Camden when we had the little one, and thought let's go home she will be "safer" there away from the gangs etc....

I am not naive enough to think it will not touch her life ever, it probably will in some way, but it will never be on the scale of London but will it ?

What do you think ? Are you worried ?

RESIDENTS have called for help about the blight of drugs on their doorsteps after detectives singled out their roads as the worst in Brighton for dealing.
Detective Sergeant Julian Deans singled out Franklin Road, Hastings Road, Wellington Road as virtual no-go areas because of the high levels of drug dealing.
He said: “You go into these streets and 90 per cent of people living there are decent honest people. But drug dealers are coming and going 24/7. Drug users are shooting up in the stairwells.
“The days of heroin addicts committing burglaries and car crimes to fund their habits are far from gone.
“They still need to fund their habits through crime and the people living nearby are intimidated.”
Residents living in the streets said they saw heroin addicts waiting for dealers on the street every single day.
They see dealers drive up in black cars and on motorbikes to do deals with people in the area.
One woman reportedly had addicts “racking up” drugs on her window ledge. Others have had to call ambulances for users suffering from overdoses.
The news comes after The Argus exclusively revealed that schoolchildren as young as 12 are being used by drugs gangs to sell heroin and crack cocaine in Brighton and Hove.
Detectives who have arrested 50 dealers operating in the city said they were aware of gangs approaching youngsters with no criminal background and offering them hundreds of pounds to sell Class A drugs.
Det Sgt Deans is in charge of investigating every drugs death in the city and is leading the police campaign.
Officers have arrested 1,000 drug dealers in 10 years.
He said: “Ten years ago you used to get congregations of addicts with a herd mentality going on what we used to call the druggie march to get their fixes.
“That doesn’t happen so much because it would attract a lot of attention but you certainly see visits to certain places.”
Residents in the triangle of streets just off Lewes Road were too terrified to have their names published but told of their daily encounters with drug dealing.

A mother of two young girls said: “I see them outside our house doing deals. No one has ever said anything to us but it is upsetting. I don’t really want the kids to see that.”
One man who lives in Franklin Road said that he regularly phoned the police over dealing outside his home.
An elderly woman in Hastings Road said: “The last six month of so you have started to see them a lot more.
“They are always hanging around the corner. “My friend has had them racking up their drugs on her window sills.”

THE rows of pastel coloured Victorian terraces are picture-postcard Brighton
The quaint bow windowed three storey homes look on to the playground of Fairlight Primary look sit opposite.
As children can be heard laughing in the playground, a middle-aged women walks up and down the streets nearby with little apparent purpose. She shuffles along the pavement sucking on the butt of a well-worn roll-up cigarette before a car pulls up.
She climbs into the back seat. Not a minute later she gets out again and the car pulls away.
Scenes of daytime drug dealing like this are so commonplace neither the postman making deliveries nor builders working on a house nearby bat an eyelid.
The drug abuse in Franklin Road is so prevalent that two students discuss between themselves, “Do the junkies bother us?”
“Not really, but we did have to call an ambulance for someone who was having an overdose.”

One burly Franklin Road resident said he was not surprised that his road had been identified by police as a hot-spot.
“They don’t scare me,” he said, but still declined to have his name published.
“Because I’m not intimidated by junkies, but I know it scares a lot of my neighbours.
“You see them going up and down the street trying the handles of all the cars.
“It’s been getting worse the last few months.
“I do want to see it cracked down on. I had to call the police again just last night. You see them hanging around on the street corner. Every single day and even in the middle of the day.
“You see the same car and another guy turn up and deal drugs.
“They sell to the younger ones – the students.
“This used to be a family area. Now it’s mostly HMOs.

“People in Brighton used to buy heroin at The Level and they don’t do that anymore because it’s all covered in CCTV. So they come out here where its a bit quieter.”
Franklin Road – leading off Lewes Road is less busy than Elm Grove, Hartington Road and Bear Road – perhaps because it does not reach all the way up to the racecourse. Its lack of rat run traffic probably makes it ideal drug dealing territory.
Hastings Road is an even quieter no through road.
Some of the houses look slightly scruffy – recycling boxes overflow with takeaway boxes and beer cans.

In the middle of the day some of the windows do not look like their curtains have been opened for months. But the kerb appeal is no worse than many other parts of Hanover and merely looks like a few students live in the street.
On first glance it does not look like a no-go area or a hotbed of drugs. Detective Sergeant Julian Deans must be mistaken when he singled these roads out as problematic, you might think.
But ten minutes in the area reveals its true nature is not too well hidden. People waiting on corners with no apparent purpose. Others sitting in cars talking on phones.
Wellington Road has a longer standing reputation as a hotspot for drugs.
It is less typical of the terraced Hanover streets surrounding with several larger blocks of social housing on both sides.

One pensioner living in one of the blocks said: “I see the druggies hanging around. I wait until they have passed before I go out.
“I don’t really know if I’m scared.
“I know these people have problems but I don’t really want to deal with it.”
A student living in Franklin Road added: “We only moved in in September.
“It doesn’t really bother us but there is a lot of drugs.”
Former councillor Bill Randall said: “Certainly when I was councillor there were problems in Franklin Road.
“It is awful to hear about this sort of escalation and children being used to deal drugs.”

Det Sgt Deans spoke out to identify streets blighted by drugs gangs visiting as he told of gangs recruiting children as young as 12 to work as drugs runners.
Despite recent operations to target drug gangs Det Sgt Deans said there were still “so many drugs out there”. The gangs target vulnerable addicts and youngsters, he said, take over their homes and use them to run drugs around the city while the ringleaders are holed up safely somewhere else, believed to most likely be in South London.

POLICE crime statistics show a steady stream of low-level crimes in the streets around Franklin Road, Hastings Road and Wellington Road.
In the past year there have been 129 crimes reported in the area.
While only nine of those were for drugs offences the crime data shows the knock-on effect of drugs on communities.

Car crimes and burglaries are the typical way for drug addicts to fund their habit, but in desperation addicts will also turn to more violent crimes.
Worryingly, in the last year there were 21 violent or sexual offences in this very small area.
In total, 20 crimes were committed in the worst month – August.

In response to residents’ fears inspector Brian McCarthy said: “We are aware of a number of hotspots for drug offences throughout the city.
“We monitor calls and reports from the public and partners concerning drug use in the city and target the areas appropriately. I would urge people to contact us with their concerns in order that we can build the bigger picture to assist in targeting drug dealing wherever it may be occurring.”

In October, figures showed teenagers have been caught trying to sell class A drugs in the city with children as young as 11 caught with them in their possession.
Figures obtained by The Argus showed 20 children under 16 had been arrested by Sussex Police for possession with intent to supply class A drugs since 2012 including eight in Brighton with a further 25 youngsters arrested for possession.
Another 34 youngsters were picked up for dealing class B drugs and 216 for possession.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We're too near to London. And as such will always be a major 'market' for London drugs gangs, plus gangs up in Liverpool and the north west in general target towns such as Brighton with their imported products. It's a nationwide network problem and always has been. Legalising cannabis should be the first step on a radical rethink of decades of inaffective, outdated approach to drugs,

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hmmm...speaking as someone who lives in a road of Franklin Road and who walks down it every day, I can honestly say that I've never seen anything resembling drug-dealing or drug-taking happening in the Franklin Street or Wellington Road nor in Hastings Road. As for "virtual no-go areas" that's complete and utter rubbish. No-go areas for whom? With price properties rising and the increase in new student residences being built elsewhere there's more families moving to the area than at any time in the 20 years I've lived here.

We've got a few homeless beggars who hang around the Co-Op but they are harmless and there's no proliferation of street drinkers like there is in London Road, the Level or St James Street. I also never ever see police around the area either. I have my suspicions about a drug-dealer living in one of the flats above the Working Men's Club at the bottom of Elm Grove going by the people I see hanging around there sometimes in the early hours but nothing in the immediate Franklin Road/Wellington Road area.

This quote in particular: Detective Sergeant Julian Deans singled out Franklin Road, Hastings Road, Wellington Road as virtual no-go areas because of the high levels of drug dealing.
He said: “You go into these streets and 90 per cent of people living there are decent honest people. But drug dealers are coming and going 24/7. Drug users are shooting up in the stairwells."
...If that were the case I'd see drugs paraphernalia, even occasionally like I often do at the Level. Sorry, I just don't recognise this description at all.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
When asked earlier this year about the legalisation of drugs, the then prime minister DC said 'We are winning the war against drugs'.
I remember this phase from my childhood and thought how wonderful to hear that we are still winning this war that has only been going on for 104 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16681673

We have a perfect model of how legalisation would save many lives, the prohibition of alcohol in the USA during the 1920's.
Illegal stills soon appeared resulting in some unsafe alcohol blinding, poisoning and killing people. The authorities wagged war against the industry for some years until the new president saw the futility of the situation and stopped the war, virtually killing the criminal element by legalising alcohol resulting in people being able to consume a relatively safe mind altering substance.

Its hardly rocket surgery

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I used to park on those roads every weekday for about three years up until this summer. You did get the occasional skag head asking for money but that was it. Certainly wasn't a 'no go zone.'

That being said, before the Fulham game I was walking along Wellington Road and spotted a young lad about 17-18 hanging around outside one of the houses looking very dodgy. Dressed in the standard 2016 young wrongun garms. Drug dealer maybe?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
When asked earlier this year about the legalisation of drugs, the then prime minister DC said 'We are winning the war against drugs'.
I remember this phase from my childhood and thought how wonderful to hear that we are still winning this war that has only been going on for 104 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16681673

We have a perfect model of how legalisation would save many lives, the prohibition of alcohol in the USA during the 1920's.
Illegal stills soon appeared resulting in some unsafe alcohol blinding, poisoning and killing people. The authorities wagged war against the industry for some years until the new president saw the futility of the situation and stopped the war, virtually killing the criminal element by legalising alcohol resulting in people being able to consume a relatively safe mind altering substance.

Its hardly rocket surgery
Spot on. It's also depressing how many politicians, top police officers etc are in favour of decriminalisation... but only after they've retired. Once again the press has a lot to answer for.

The only way to beat the gangs, prevent thousands of deaths and ruined lives, reduce crime massively and also benefit the economy and tax receipts is to end the madness of the "war on drugs". But it's never going to happen.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What I will say is that as someone in my mid- thirites, I remember that area and the Level as being known hot spots for hard drug dealing, 20 years ago. There was a particular phone box outside the Racehill Pub that was used to have ne'er do wells queuing outside it nearly every day that dispersed once the dealer arrived.

So whilst it may be a problem, I'm not completely over the line that it has got any worse. The Argus has form for sensationalising stories like this as well.

Last edited:

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Rocket surgery? You're opening up a can of fish using metaphors like this.

Not being the sharpest knife in the draw I am somewhat confused. Are you suggesting that there are some people on this board that have forgotten to take their irony deficiency tablets?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spot on. It's also depressing how many politicians, top police officers etc are in favour of decriminalisation... but only after they've retired. Once again the press has a lot to answer for.

The only way to beat the gangs, prevent thousands of deaths and ruined lives, reduce crime massively and also benefit the economy and tax receipts is to end the madness of the "war on drugs". But it's never going to happen.

I think things are changing albeit slowly, the US has changed some laws recently. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with full legalisation of hard drugs but there definitely needs to be a change in approach....or a sensible discussion at the very least.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Being a parent of a child that goes to Fairlight's School I am slightly worried, and myself have seen dealing and people high whilst collecting my child from after school club and seen young men with ashed faced young girls going into Preston & Brighton Graveyard on Hartington Road.

Do you think drugs are getting worse in Brighton ?
Having lived in London, Camden included I having seen it all, the deals, where they hide the drugs under tyres, in between bricks after they have dug out the cement etc. However I moved away from Camden when we had the little one, and thought let's go home she will be "safer" there away from the gangs etc....

I am not naive enough to think it will not touch her life ever, it probably will in some way, but it will never be on the scale of London but will it ?

What do you think ? Are you worried ?

RESIDENTS have called for help about the blight of drugs on their doorsteps after detectives singled out their roads as the worst in Brighton for dealing.
Detective Sergeant Julian Deans singled out Franklin Road, Hastings Road, Wellington Road as virtual no-go areas because of the high levels of drug dealing.
He said: “You go into these streets and 90 per cent of people living there are decent honest people. But drug dealers are coming and going 24/7. Drug users are shooting up in the stairwells.
“The days of heroin addicts committing burglaries and car crimes to fund their habits are far from gone.
“They still need to fund their habits through crime and the people living nearby are intimidated.”
Residents living in the streets said they saw heroin addicts waiting for dealers on the street every single day.
They see dealers drive up in black cars and on motorbikes to do deals with people in the area.
One woman reportedly had addicts “racking up” drugs on her window ledge. Others have had to call ambulances for users suffering from overdoses.
The news comes after The Argus exclusively revealed that schoolchildren as young as 12 are being used by drugs gangs to sell heroin and crack cocaine in Brighton and Hove.
Detectives who have arrested 50 dealers operating in the city said they were aware of gangs approaching youngsters with no criminal background and offering them hundreds of pounds to sell Class A drugs.
Det Sgt Deans is in charge of investigating every drugs death in the city and is leading the police campaign.
Officers have arrested 1,000 drug dealers in 10 years.
He said: “Ten years ago you used to get congregations of addicts with a herd mentality going on what we used to call the druggie march to get their fixes.
“That doesn’t happen so much because it would attract a lot of attention but you certainly see visits to certain places.”
Residents in the triangle of streets just off Lewes Road were too terrified to have their names published but told of their daily encounters with drug dealing.

A mother of two young girls said: “I see them outside our house doing deals. No one has ever said anything to us but it is upsetting. I don’t really want the kids to see that.”
One man who lives in Franklin Road said that he regularly phoned the police over dealing outside his home.
An elderly woman in Hastings Road said: “The last six month of so you have started to see them a lot more.
“They are always hanging around the corner. “My friend has had them racking up their drugs on her window sills.”

THE rows of pastel coloured Victorian terraces are picture-postcard Brighton
The quaint bow windowed three storey homes look on to the playground of Fairlight Primary look sit opposite.
As children can be heard laughing in the playground, a middle-aged women walks up and down the streets nearby with little apparent purpose. She shuffles along the pavement sucking on the butt of a well-worn roll-up cigarette before a car pulls up.
She climbs into the back seat. Not a minute later she gets out again and the car pulls away.
Scenes of daytime drug dealing like this are so commonplace neither the postman making deliveries nor builders working on a house nearby bat an eyelid.
The drug abuse in Franklin Road is so prevalent that two students discuss between themselves, “Do the junkies bother us?”
“Not really, but we did have to call an ambulance for someone who was having an overdose.”

One burly Franklin Road resident said he was not surprised that his road had been identified by police as a hot-spot.
“They don’t scare me,” he said, but still declined to have his name published.
“Because I’m not intimidated by junkies, but I know it scares a lot of my neighbours.
“You see them going up and down the street trying the handles of all the cars.
“It’s been getting worse the last few months.
“I do want to see it cracked down on. I had to call the police again just last night. You see them hanging around on the street corner. Every single day and even in the middle of the day.
“You see the same car and another guy turn up and deal drugs.
“They sell to the younger ones – the students.
“This used to be a family area. Now it’s mostly HMOs.

“People in Brighton used to buy heroin at The Level and they don’t do that anymore because it’s all covered in CCTV. So they come out here where its a bit quieter.”
Franklin Road – leading off Lewes Road is less busy than Elm Grove, Hartington Road and Bear Road – perhaps because it does not reach all the way up to the racecourse. Its lack of rat run traffic probably makes it ideal drug dealing territory.
Hastings Road is an even quieter no through road.
Some of the houses look slightly scruffy – recycling boxes overflow with takeaway boxes and beer cans.

In the middle of the day some of the windows do not look like their curtains have been opened for months. But the kerb appeal is no worse than many other parts of Hanover and merely looks like a few students live in the street.
On first glance it does not look like a no-go area or a hotbed of drugs. Detective Sergeant Julian Deans must be mistaken when he singled these roads out as problematic, you might think.
But ten minutes in the area reveals its true nature is not too well hidden. People waiting on corners with no apparent purpose. Others sitting in cars talking on phones.
Wellington Road has a longer standing reputation as a hotspot for drugs.
It is less typical of the terraced Hanover streets surrounding with several larger blocks of social housing on both sides.

One pensioner living in one of the blocks said: “I see the druggies hanging around. I wait until they have passed before I go out.
“I don’t really know if I’m scared.
“I know these people have problems but I don’t really want to deal with it.”
A student living in Franklin Road added: “We only moved in in September.
“It doesn’t really bother us but there is a lot of drugs.”
Former councillor Bill Randall said: “Certainly when I was councillor there were problems in Franklin Road.
“It is awful to hear about this sort of escalation and children being used to deal drugs.”

Det Sgt Deans spoke out to identify streets blighted by drugs gangs visiting as he told of gangs recruiting children as young as 12 to work as drugs runners.
Despite recent operations to target drug gangs Det Sgt Deans said there were still “so many drugs out there”. The gangs target vulnerable addicts and youngsters, he said, take over their homes and use them to run drugs around the city while the ringleaders are holed up safely somewhere else, believed to most likely be in South London.

POLICE crime statistics show a steady stream of low-level crimes in the streets around Franklin Road, Hastings Road and Wellington Road.
In the past year there have been 129 crimes reported in the area.
While only nine of those were for drugs offences the crime data shows the knock-on effect of drugs on communities.

Car crimes and burglaries are the typical way for drug addicts to fund their habit, but in desperation addicts will also turn to more violent crimes.
Worryingly, in the last year there were 21 violent or sexual offences in this very small area.
In total, 20 crimes were committed in the worst month – August.

In response to residents’ fears inspector Brian McCarthy said: “We are aware of a number of hotspots for drug offences throughout the city.
“We monitor calls and reports from the public and partners concerning drug use in the city and target the areas appropriately. I would urge people to contact us with their concerns in order that we can build the bigger picture to assist in targeting drug dealing wherever it may be occurring.”

In October, figures showed teenagers have been caught trying to sell class A drugs in the city with children as young as 11 caught with them in their possession.
Figures obtained by The Argus showed 20 children under 16 had been arrested by Sussex Police for possession with intent to supply class A drugs since 2012 including eight in Brighton with a further 25 youngsters arrested for possession.
Another 34 youngsters were picked up for dealing class B drugs and 216 for possession.

Talk about an exaggeration...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think things are changing albeit slowly, the US has changed some laws recently. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with full legalisation of hard drugs but there definitely needs to be a change in approach....or a sensible discussion at the very least.

Legalisation is a can of worms,we have one legal drug that is mind altering and affects judgement and that is alcohol. Because alcohol is legal but can seriously impair a persons ability to operate machinery,drive, pilot a plane etc etc we have a raft of legislation to try to prevent deaths and injuries such as the Drink/drive limit, bans on drinking for pilots and train drivers for 48 hours before working etc etc. This does not work that well now as there are still always cases of people breaking the law.

Imagine the amount of legislation to try to control " safe " use of just say, Cannabis, Cocaine and Ecstacy, there are huge variations of quality and strength and therefore the relative effects on different individuals and as such it would be almost impossible to set a safe limit in the way of alcohol and, in order to check, the police would have to drive around in a mobile lab in order to enforce it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Legalisation is a can of worms,we have one legal drug that is mind altering and affects judgement and that is alcohol. Because alcohol is legal but can seriously impair a persons ability to operate machinery,drive, pilot a plane etc etc we have a raft of legislation to try to prevent deaths and injuries such as the Drink/drive limit, bans on drinking for pilots and train drivers for 48 hours before working etc etc. This does not work that well now as there are still always cases of people breaking the law.

Imagine the amount of legislation to try to control " safe " use of just say, Cannabis, Cocaine and Ecstacy, there are huge variations of quality and strength and therefore the relative effects on different individuals and as such it would be almost impossible to set a safe limit in the way of alcohol and, in order to check, the police would have to drive around in a mobile lab in order to enforce it.

How do the police currently enforce and prosecute drug driving?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Talk about an exaggeration...

It is from the Argus....

I would certainly not say it is a no go zone, that is ridiculous and a big exaggeration, I don't feel scared around there. However I am aware and have seen kids/young men loitering waiting around then when you walk past them they turn and hide their faces or pretend to be on the mobile phone.... then someone comes along they spend about 5 seconds together and separate you know the score, im not stupid I was wondering if people actually thought it was any worse or as in London they did up Kings Cross and everything then moved up to Camden and Summers Town, it is what happens I thought this was the case here, just the same shit just moved along no worse than before.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove

Yes so let's just leave it to the criminal gangs who supply drugs to people who have no idea what they're taking...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With the current vogue of filming Police TV series locally, this sounds like an ideal location for the British version of the Wire.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here