Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vernon Philander - Sussex CCC

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Good player. But it's not quick bowlers we need. He also has a patchy injury record.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He'll be preparing for the Test series starting early July. Will he play for us at Arundel in the 4 day game in mid June v South Africa?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
That is an amazing signing. It will definitely put bums on seats.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
He'll get a load of wickets early in the season. Can bat too. I think it's a decent signing.

(Although we probably need a batsman rather than a bowler - hopefully we've got someone lined up)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Seriously good signing in my opinion. First class hundreds and test match fifties to his name too.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can I just mention that he's a great signed but we really need to strengthen our batting?

I don't think it's been mentioned before..

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Downside is he will restrict opportunities for our up and coming battery of quicks: Garton, Archer, Whittingham, Sakande. Given we also have Magoffin, Jordan, Robinson and VAN Zyl we do look top heavy in seamers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
To be honest last season was a weird one. It felt like it wasn't a great season obviously, but actually at the their were times when we were in reach of getting promoted but we just drew too many games. Yes we do definitely need to strengthen our batting, especially if we were to go up, but I have a feeling that we could challenge for the div 2 title next year especially if Big Vern can fire us off to a great start.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Downside is he will restrict opportunities for our up and coming battery of quicks: Garton, Archer, Whittingham, Sakande. Given we also have Magoffin, Jordan, Robinson and VAN Zyl we do look top heavy in seamers.

I'm not totally wild about this either but my take is that we need a spinner not a seamer. I know he's only for the first half of the season - when the wickets aren't turning - but if we don't sign a spinner for the second half, we're not going to bowl sides out.

Assuming Ashwin's not a realistic target, why not go for Mehedi - that's an overseas signing that would excite me

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Not sure how no ones mentioned that we need batters not bowlers.... good but strange signing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With him in the side and our paucity of batting every match is a one-day match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here