Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Railways Official Contingency Plans

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Sorry to start another SASTA thread, but I think you might be interested in the latest reply I have just received from the Office of Rail and Road in my series of correspondence i have been having with them since the debacle at the last Friday night game. It seems that Southern Railways have a plan. Who knew?

Thank you for your e-mail of 7 December 2016 to my colleagues Stacy Webb (via Nigel Nevis), and further to my colleague Nigel Nevis earlier letter to you, about your concerns with travelling on Southern Railways between Brighton and Lewes this Friday, I assume for Brighton and Hove’s Football Club’s home game against Leeds United.

Under health and safety law, Southern have explicit legal duties to manger the risk to passengers ‘so far as is reasonably practicable’. As part of that duty, as the health and safety railway regulator, we would expect Southern to have robust contingency plans in place to manage the risks to passengers and others affected by service disruption and specific events, such as Brighton and Hove Football Club’s home games at the American Express Community Stadium.

It may help reassure you if I set out an overview of Southern’s contingency plans in more detail to illustrate what they are doing to better manage the crowding between Brighton, Falmer and Lewes stations on match days:
· the use of risk assessment within their station event plans. This includes a supplementary plan for managing risk at Lewes station;
· an enhanced command and control arrangements to better manage passenger crowding;
· a strengthened capacity to provide rolling stock, including ensuring additional ‘football special’ services are provided on match days, and the prioritising of services to stations affected by match days;
· prioritising the staff rostering of match day-related services, including training driver assessors to covers any gaps in staff rosters;
· a check made 48-hours before events on whether or not full services can be provided and, if not, the use of communication plans through Southern, the British Transport Police (BTP), Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club and their security contractors and Sussex Police to inform passengers over changes to services;
· enhanced arrangements between Southern, and Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club and the Away Club to provide additional coaches as necessary; and
· plans for a ‘table top’ exercise between Southern and the BTP to test the coordination of these contingency plans early in 2017.

Nonetheless, we will continue to actively monitor Southern’s arrangements for safely managing passenger crowding during future football fixtures.

Thank, Lee Collins

Office of Rail and Road
Lee Collins
Strategy, Planning and System Safety
Railway Safety Directorate

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry to start another SASTA thread, but I think you might be interested in the latest reply I have just received from the Office of Rail and Road in my series of correspondence i have been having with them since the debacle at the last Friday night game. It seems that Southern Railways have a plan. Who knew?

Thank you for your e-mail of 7 December 2016 to my colleagues Stacy Webb (via Nigel Nevis), and further to my colleague Nigel Nevis earlier letter to you, about your concerns with travelling on Southern Railways between Brighton and Lewes this Friday, I assume for Brighton and Hove’s Football Club’s home game against Leeds United.

Under health and safety law, Southern have explicit legal duties to manger the risk to passengers ‘so far as is reasonably practicable’. As part of that duty, as the health and safety railway regulator, we would expect Southern to have robust contingency plans in place to manage the risks to passengers and others affected by service disruption and specific events, such as Brighton and Hove Football Club’s home games at the American Express Community Stadium.

It may help reassure you if I set out an overview of Southern’s contingency plans in more detail to illustrate what they are doing to better manage the crowding between Brighton, Falmer and Lewes stations on match days:
· the use of risk assessment within their station event plans. This includes a supplementary plan for managing risk at Lewes station;
· an enhanced command and control arrangements to better manage passenger crowding;
· a strengthened capacity to provide rolling stock, including ensuring additional ‘football special’ services are provided on match days, and the prioritising of services to stations affected by match days;
· prioritising the staff rostering of match day-related services, including training driver assessors to covers any gaps in staff rosters;
· a check made 48-hours before events on whether or not full services can be provided and, if not, the use of communication plans through Southern, the British Transport Police (BTP), Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club and their security contractors and Sussex Police to inform passengers over changes to services;
· enhanced arrangements between Southern, and Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club and the Away Club to provide additional coaches as necessary; and
· plans for a ‘table top’ exercise between Southern and the BTP to test the coordination of these contingency plans early in 2017.

Nonetheless, we will continue to actively monitor Southern’s arrangements for safely managing passenger crowding during future football fixtures.

Thank, Lee Collins

Office of Rail and Road
Lee Collins

Is that just waffle?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Thank, Lee Collins

Office of Rail and Road
Lee Collins

We would expect Southern to have robust contingency plans in place ....... WRONG THEN!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Will they issue Southern Failways sleeping bags to Leeds fans stuck at Brighton station after the game ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

WTF do any of these actually mean? They're all just high-level business bullshit phrases, which don't actually give you any useful information. Lee Collins has obviously been on a management training course.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
WTF do any of these actually mean? They're all just high-level business bullshit phrases, which don't actually give you any useful information. Lee Collins has obviously been on a management training course.

**** all, total management buzz word bingo

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite why you are bothering with an "ongoing correspondence" with the Office of Rail and Road over SASTA's matchday cover arrangements I have absolutely NO idea. They clearly do not have the slightest clue what the hell is going on, and have merely cut and pasted a series of pie-in-the-sky "service expectations" to you, probably written up about 4 years ago.

Frankly, you might as well have emailed your question to ITV4.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009

Thank, Lee Collins

Office of Rail and Road
Lee Collins

I assume they mean mangle?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Southern Failways are incapable of delivering a rail service in Sussex.

Not fit for purpose.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I fully expect the guards/drivers to happily enforce a poor or zero service and the station will be closed so any safety concerns will be satisfied and push all the responsibility over to BHAFC.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good to see 'there are plans for a ‘table top’ exercise between Southern and the BTP to test the coordination of these contingency plans early in 2017' :facepalm:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I fully expect the guards/drivers to happily enforce a poor or zero service and the station will be closed so any safety concerns will be satisfied and push all the responsibility over to BHAFC.
Meaning a big refund for the club if Falmer station is shut - which Paul Barber can then spend on buses and the additional park and rides.

:albion2:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Shame that East Midlands Trains didn't win the franchise when they were bidding for it against Southern.

What that long statement says to me is that the view of the Office of Rail and Road is that it is SASTA's responsibility to do something to deliver a full, safe matchday train service.

I agree.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The only "risk" I can see that needs managing at Falmer is that of someone on the platform being pushed, accidently or otherwise, under a train. This risk doesn't seem to be managed at all. This risk isn't just at Falmer - Preston Park used to be a nightmare too - more people on the platform than is safe.
Perhaps, therefore, that the risk of someone falling under a train IS being mitigated by the fact that there are none!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here