Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby & Leeds chairmen in BOTHER

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think Morris believes the sum of £90m paid across the three EFL leagues to be a bit, well, shit when compared to the billions they pay for the Premier League.

It's a fair argument and I'm glad he's kicking up a fuss.

Yep. I'm sure Paul Barber agrees as well.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think Morris believes the sum of £90m paid across the three EFL leagues to be a bit, well, shit when compared to the billions they pay for the Premier League.

It's a fair argument and I'm glad he's kicking up a fuss.

I don't blame him either but he's on a hiding to nothing. Beyond the 'local' support of the clubs in EFL I doubt there's huge interest and the viewing figures I saw a while back (max of 200K I think) reflected this. I can't see a commercial argument for Sky to increase their funding, in fact what we get now is no more than a sop

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
A much lower number of people watch EFL games compared to Premier league games.
Hence they would never pay a proportionately lower amount than prem games for them.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
A much lower number of people watch EFL games compared to Premier league games.
Hence they would never pay a proportionately lower amount than prem games for them.

More importantly I think is what they generate from selling overseas. I don't have any specific knowledge but the revenue Sky get from selling overseas is where the big money comes from I imagine

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't blame him either but he's on a hiding to nothing. Beyond the 'local' support of the clubs in EFL I doubt there's huge interest and the viewing figures I saw a while back (max of 200K I think) reflected this. I can't see a commercial argument for Sky to increase their funding, in fact what we get now is no more than a sop

The UK figures are only double for a premier league game so the fact that the payments are 20 x higher does appear a bit out of kilter. Whoever is negotiating the EFL deal does need a kick up the a**e but the really odd thing is that the league won't share the details of the deal with the clubs, that's bizarre.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The UK figures are only double for a premier league game so the fact that the payments are 20 x higher does appear a bit out of kilter. Whoever is negotiating the EFL deal does need a kick up the a**e but the really odd thing is that the league won't share the details of the deal with the clubs, that's bizarre.

See my above ... I can only guess at what they are getting for selling to places like China, it will be multiples of any revenue generated here. The EFL won't have any attraction given the saturation of Prem, Bundes, La Liga etc

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
See my above ... I can only guess at what they are getting for selling to places like China, it will be multiples of any revenue generated here. The EFL won't have any attraction given the saturation of Prem, Bundes, La Liga etc

I'm sure you're right but I'm sure there should be transparency as well :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Overseas PL rights are sold separately and have nothing to do with Sky.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'd imagine that it's also to do with ad slots. I'm no media buyer but I imagine that the ad slots for a Chelsea v Man U game would be a lot more expensive than slots for QPR v Wolves

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

OMG! and not just my ignorance! Begs the question how much the PL are earning on top of the £5bn Sky/BT deal from overseas?

More sympathetic to what Morris may be trying to do

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

1.1m people watched Middlesboro Vs Watford
200,000 people watched us Vs Villa.

5X more watched a no interest game in the prem, vs one of the big draws in the championship. 2m for Liverpool Vs Man Utd and 1.5 for Chelsea Man Utd

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 10.47.01.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 10.49.44.png

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I know the rights to screen the games are sold separately but as Sky are providing the pictures are they also able to profit from that and is that factored in to the headline figure that they pay the PL?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Let's be honest here. When we go up will we in any way be interested in the Championship games let alone those of the 1st & 2nd leagues?
Are there any TV fans who watch the PL games who also watch the Championship games? I doubt it.
Bolton v Gillingham on a Monday night or Coventry v Sheff United on a Thursday will both draw in a few thousand at max I'd have thought.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What's the point, the cash will inevitably go in the back pockets of the players. The Sky deal could be worth a billion to the lower leagues and nothing would change. Clubs and owners will still lose money.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
For me it's not about the viewing figures, it's simply about the fact that media rights for English football as a whole is a very lucrative business. Obviously the top league with the huge teams are the main draw, but that doesn't mean that the money should not be distributed more fairly. On the other side of the coin, what difference will it make, it would only go on players and agents. Yes, Championship teams (and to a lesser extend the lower leagues) would be able to attract a higher calibre of player, but I don't think it would make teams all that much more competitive when they reached the PL.

Shrewd management is definitely the key, being organised and running the club sensibly is certainly the best route.

Of course, I basically know nothing about any of it, least of all running a club so I'm probably the least qualified to share my opinion :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
end of day the money the Championship get isnt alot but the deal with the Premiership is their deal. they've tried to get something out of rights for Championship for 15 years and failed. what im surprised about is rather than sit and take it, they (the FL) havent gone off to look for overseas deals. if you can sell Watford vs Hull in China, why not Derby vs Nottingham Forest? there are a half dozen teams with some decent history playing in the league, thats marketing material unused imo. the foreigners are supposed to be attracted to English football by the pace of the game, well its there in the FL too, so market it.

(await correction that we do this already, for a packet of crisps).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here