Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

India v England: Fourth Test, Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai 8-12 December

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
2-0 down with 2 to play, Keaton Jennings will make his debut opening alongside Cook. Stuart Broad is being rated as 50/50, so looks like Finn or Ball if we play 4 seamers or Batty keeping his place to play 3 spinners.

Mohammed Shami is a slight doubt for India with Bhuvneshwar Kumar waiting in the wings if so.

England have thrasehd India at Mumbai in the last 2 Test matches played here. Don't see that happening this time though. :nono:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38233469

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2016-17/content/story/1070937.html

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
2-0 down with 2 to play, Keaton Jennings will make his debut opening alongside Cook. Stuart Broad is being rated as 50/50, so looks like Finn or Ball if we play 4 seamers or Batty keeping his place to play 3 spinners.

Mohammed Shami is a slight doubt for India with Bhuvneshwar Kumar waiting in the wings if so.

England have thrasehd India at Mumbai in the last 2 Test matches played here. Don't see that happening this time though. :nono:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38233469

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2016-17/content/story/1070937.html

Will the toss be crucial on this wicket? Mind you, in the last game we won the toss and still got hammered. Presume that Batty will revert to drinks waiter?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In 9 matches since 1996 13 spinners have taken a 5 wicket haul and 184 wickets taken by spinners. In same time span no 5 wicket hauls for seamers.

Wonder if Bayliss will stick to the same theory that if you do not have a first class spinner just add more inadequate ones to the team?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Look out for a Cardiff 1927 flag (Cardiff London and South East Supporters Club) with a guy with one eyebrow crawling across his forehead and another in a waistcoat. I was with them at the Indian Thali restaurant in Cardiff on Saturday when that was presented to him.

I'm thinking more and more that Cook should hand over to Root after this series. Bayliss has said he will not push him. Whatever happens in the next two matches, you know it's best for the team and your batting Alastair.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Look out for a Cardiff 1927 flag (Cardiff London and South East Supporters Club) with a guy with one eyebrow crawling across his forehead and another in a waistcoat. I was with them at the Indian Thali restaurant in Cardiff on Saturday when that was presented to him.

Seems a bit strange to keep your eyebrow in a waistcoat :jester:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
In 9 matches since 1996 13 spinners have taken a 5 wicket haul and 184 wickets taken by spinners. In same time span no 5 wicket hauls for seamers.

Wonder if Bayliss will stick to the same theory that if you do not have a first class spinner just add more inadequate ones to the team?

Probably, unfortunately.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Where are we supposed to get an 'adequate' first class spinner from? You know they have to be English right?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
I'm thinking more and more that Cook should hand over to Root after this series. Bayliss has said he will not push him. Whatever happens in the next two matches, you know it's best for the team and your batting Alastair.

Hope not, Root still has some work to do to learn his trade, he has all the quality in the world but needs to work on the mental side of things and not have lapses that lead to giving his wicket away. That way he can then be talked about in the same breath as Smith, Kohli and Williamson. So let Cook carry on for at least another year, give him the opportunity to retain the Ashes down under and then pass on to Joe.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

To be fair we've gone to India before 'seamer heavy' and been punished. I'm not aware that any other side has gone to India and inflicted a defeat based on seam. There seem to be two ways to win in India:

1) Rely on a top class spinner like a Swann or Warne, or:
2) Hope that one of your B grade spinner has a stellar test and that your batsmen can block for a few draws.

However, with the proliferation of 1-day cricket the days of 4 tests out of a 5-match series being drawn are long gone. I recall from my youth England went to India and played a high-scoring 6-test series that India won by 1-0.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
To be fair we've gone to India before 'seamer heavy' and been punished. I'm not aware that any other side has gone to India and inflicted a defeat based on seam. There seem to be two ways to win in India:

1) Rely on a top class spinner like a Swann or Warne, or:
2) Hope that one of your B grade spinner has a stellar test and that your batsmen can block for a few draws.

However, with the proliferation of 1-day cricket the days of 4 tests out of a 5-match series being drawn are long gone. I recall from my youth England went to India and played a high-scoring 6-test series that India won by 1-0.

81/82

Some runs scored in the tests.

A proper tour, with games against the Indian zonal sides as well.

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1981-82/ENG_IN_IND/

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sweet 50 from Jennings after surviving a couple of early scares. Good temperament. England openers have a future battle over 2 and 3 spot, hopefully. You wait all that time to replace Strauss and then two come along at once.

England 92-0.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cook unable to wait till lunch for his chai and samosas. Walks down the wicket and wafts at the air. Stumped b Jadeja.

Root and Jennings see up the 100.

102-1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here