Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trade workers - advise needed

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm 25 and sick of sitting behind a desk.

When i was in school I wanted to learn a trade, there was an option where you could go up to a sixth form one day a week and do the first year of your level 1 so that once you finished GCSE's you went straight into an apprenticeship in your second year of your L2. I believe schools only care about the grades so they can brag about the % of A's and B's etc and not what's best for the student, I was never given any advise or guidance from school and they basically put me off it saying it's for the less academic amongst us which is bullshit.

I want to do Plumbing & Heating but don't know where to start and can't seek advise anywhere else as I don't know anyone in that trade. I could go back to college and do a L2 apprenticeship then a L3 (this would be 3 years in total) is it hard to find an apprenticeship for a 25 year old? I know my cousin struggled with mechanics apprenticeship when he was 22.

I know there is another option where you can pay like 5k which looks like a fast tracked course but i guess there's no better way to learn than actually doing the job and studying at the same time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

When i was in school I wanted to learn a trade, there was an option where you could go up to a sixth form one day a week and do the first year of your level 1 so that once you finished GCSE's you went straight into an apprenticeship in your second year of your L2. I believe schools only care about the grades so they can brag about the % of A's and B's etc and not what's best for the student, I was never given any advise or guidance from school and they basically put me off it saying it's for the less academic amongst us which is bullshit.

I want to do Plumbing & Heating but don't know where to start and can't seek advise anywhere else as I don't know anyone in that trade. I could go back to college and do a L2 apprenticeship then a L3 (this would be 3 years in total) is it hard to find an apprenticeship for a 25 year old? I know my cousin struggled with mechanics apprenticeship when he was 22.

I know there is another option where you can pay like 5k which looks like a fast tracked course but i guess there's no better way to learn than actually doing the job and studying at the same time.

When leaving school [MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION] did a four/five year plumbing course at Brighton College and passed his City & Guilds - many years later he is still learning the trade.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Embrace your desk.

I do both in my job.

Sites are cold, dirty, dusty, noisy and smelly, there's no TEA, and you have to walk three quarters of a mile to take a shit (if you dare enter the site toilets)

Desks are warm and dry and hot tea is on tap.

No brainer.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
is it hard to find an apprenticeship for a 25 year old?

I can't speak for the specific trade that you want to enter, or for employers in Brighton/Worthing, but companies I'm involved with take on about 5 or 6 apprentices a year in various trades (carpentry, model building, electrician, mech engineering etc). Although they do typically tend to be aged 17-20, we routinely take 1 or 2 a year who are a bit older. 25 would not be a bar to you getting taken on at the companies I'm involved with, but you would need to explain why you had delayed doing it - nothing heavy, just a believable explanation.

Good luck!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Sorry can't help the opening poster but as this is a trade type thread if there is anyone on here who has a really long ladder and wants to earn a bit of cash in hand for putting up some Christmas lights let me know. Would rather give it to a Brighton fan than someone else.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Sorry can't help the opening poster but as this is a trade type thread if there is anyone on here who has a really long ladder and wants to earn a bit of cash in hand for putting up some Christmas lights let me know. Would rather give it to a Brighton fan than someone else.

On the I360?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Embrace your desk.

I do both in my job.

Sites are cold, dirty, dusty, noisy and smelly, there's no TEA, and you have to walk three quarters of a mile to take a shit (if you dare enter the site toilets)

No brainer.

You are so near the truth..
And that's in customer's homes :moo:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

A distant relative of mine has just got an apprenticeship with an electrical firm in Worthing, he is 29. A lot of firms prefer to take on older adult apprentices, some more reliable and willing to learn

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Less things can go wrong at a desk believe me

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Embrace your desk.

I do both in my job.

No brainer.

the plumber controls the access to the water for tea and the kharzi :bowdown: :O

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here