Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Internet download speeds a question

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Just had the Virgin man in because I pay for 200 mbps but im currently only getting 100 wired and 50 wifi.

Hes changed the modem because it had a fault, he ran a test on his hand held and showed me that it was downloading at over 200 mbps

Now I have tried the test on my laptop and its still only 50 mbps. he told me it should only drop 10%

Is it because my laptop is a few years old? will it have a download speed limit?

Cant find anything on the internet so will try the experts here.

Laptop is HP Pavilion g6 ( probably 3-4 years old)

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Just had the Virgin man in because I pay for 200 mbps but im currently only getting 100 wired and 50 wifi.

Hes changed the modem because it had a fault, he ran a test on his hand held and showed me that it was downloading at over 200 mbps

Now I have tried the test on my laptop and its still only 50 mbps. he told me it should only drop 10%

Is it because my laptop is a few years old? will it have a download speed limit?

Try this, keep in mind that wired will have a faster download speed than WiFi

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...vF0-MqzwOBCL9hFRw&sig2=qfmvjO5-wVN-Um-f39p1Fg

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im looking for a new broadband deal, currently with sky as part of package.

Have a BT Phone line.

Any suggestions ?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing

Quick google suggests your laptop has a 100MB wired ethernet adapter and an 802.11n speed wifi adapter which is also one of the older technologies. Not sure how many antennas your laptop has but for example an 802.11n single antenna, single width wifi adapter will top out at about 70. Try changing the wifi channel if you're in a congested area but other than that your laptop is bottlenecking you.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Try this, keep in mind that wired will have a faster download speed than WiFi

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...vF0-MqzwOBCL9hFRw&sig2=qfmvjO5-wVN-Um-f39p1Fg

With the Virgin hubs, you will have 2 wireless networks available, a 2G and a 5G. Make sure you are connecting to the 5G. The network card on your laptop must be capable of using the 5G though. If it can't, this is your limitation and you will need to use a wired connection as suggested here. The 5G network though is more than capable of handling the full maximum incoming speed.

I've actually just reduced my Virgin package from 200 to 100. It saves me loads on the monthly charge and the difference is completely unnoticeable for everything except large file downloads as you'd expect. After they'd done it, I got a cheery email informing me that 'my speedboost was complete!', even though they'd halved it :).

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Also keep in mind that speed they advertise is your maximum speed available to you and you won't get that speed constantly. That's hidden deep in the small print somewhere.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wireless is specified to run at around 50Mbps. there maybe higher speeds if both your laptop and the wireless router support, but dont expect it. or frankly require it.

to measure the speed properly you should do so from a wired connection directly to the router, with a CAT6 or CAT5e spec cable.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
cf: BT 58.33 Mb/s 6.26 Mb/s Shoreham

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This seems like the thread to post in...im currently with Bt infinity, which I found out doesn't mean unlimited, with a speed of up to 52mbps.

We use BBC I player and the like to watch some tv. But never download anything, should I drop to the 17mbps or will I notice it with my everyday use

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
WiFi reads: dl.JPG

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
With the Virgin hubs, you will have 2 wireless networks available, a 2G and a 5G. Make sure you are connecting to the 5G. The network card on your laptop must be capable of using the 5G though. If it can't, this is your limitation and you will need to use a wired connection as suggested here. The 5G network though is more than capable of handling the full maximum incoming speed.

I've actually just reduced my Virgin package from 200 to 100. It saves me loads on the monthly charge and the difference is completely unnoticeable for everything except large file downloads as you'd expect. After they'd done it, I got a cheery email informing me that 'my speedboost was complete!', even though they'd halved it :).

laptop is to old to connect to 5g.
the new modem is not actually showing the 5g

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Try upgrading your wireless drivers, it may be that it's only running at 54mbps. Of course it could be that your wireless card is only capable of 54mb.
Also, your ethernet is probably a 10/100 so the hub auto-senses and switches to 100mb.
Also, internet speed checkers can be inaccurate and, as you were told, you can lose 10% in overheads. Then there's contention ratios, if there are a lot of heavy user on your DSLAM you may notice slower read world speeds.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here