Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A positive outlook on our "negative" away tactics...

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
As I posted on another thread, we currently have a 50% win percentage away from home this season. That is very good. Last seasons was 39.13%, only losing twice on the road all season, one of which was, ahem, Cardiff. So the way we play away from home works.

But more than that. It is far from negative. We had 67% possession as the away team yesterday, and yes we didn't do enough with it. But we certainly don't play in a negative way. We tend to be on the front foot for a decent majority of games away from the Amex, and that has had fantastic consequences.

Being a top quality championship team now (Yes I'm saying it), going even away to other teams, they are crapping themselves. A point away from home is considered a good result, provided you win your home games (And we usually do). And out of fear for what we can do if they leave us space, teams are practically handing over a point by being so negative, sacrificing their chances of winning to increase the odds of what they would regard as a excellent point. For me, it just shows how far we have come.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
As I posted on another thread, we currently have a 50% win percentage away from home this season. That is very good. Last seasons was 39.13%, only losing twice on the road all season, one of which was, ahem, Cardiff. So the way we play away from home works.

But more than that. It is far from negative. We had 67% possession as the away team yesterday, and yes we didn't do enough with it. But we certainly don't play in a negative way. We tend to be on the front foot for a decent majority of games away from the Amex, and that has had fantastic consequences.

Being a top quality championship team now (Yes I'm saying it), going even away to other teams, they are crapping themselves. A point away from home is considered a good result, provided you win your home games (And we usually do). And out of fear for what we can do if they leave us space, teams are practically handing over a point by being so negative, sacrificing their chances of winning to increase the odds of what they would regard as a excellent point. For me, it just shows how far we have come.

How can 4/9 be 50% ?

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You're right. Teams like Cardiff are now setting themselves up not to lose against us despite being at home.......to quote the North Stand against Massive 'they're shitting their pants'.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
it just shows how far we have come.
'Cardiff laboured in attack but landed a clean sheet against an excellent Brighton attack.'

Neil Warnock;
"As I said, the visitors were a team who can tear teams apart. They went with 4-4-2, as is their way, with Glenn Murray and Sam Baldock an in-form partnership who have hurt far stronger and more confident sides than this current Cardiff line-up."

This makes me smile :albion2:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-draw-far-classic-neil-12269347

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
'Cardiff laboured in attack but landed a clean sheet against an excellent Brighton attack.'

Neil Warnock;
"As I said, the visitors were a team who can tear teams apart. They went with 4-4-2, as is their way, with Glenn Murray and Sam Baldock an in-form partnership who have hurt far stronger and more confident sides than this current Cardiff line-up."

This makes me smile :albion2:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-draw-far-classic-neil-12269347

Celebratory night out for a home draw. Telling.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
We needed a way to 'win ugly' on Saturday. I think we'd have had more chance to do that if we'd thrown Hemed on for Baldock the last 10/15 mins and thrown longer balls into the box to the two target men, then had Stephens, Murphy, Sidwell, feeding off the 2nd ball scraps.

Not pretty, but perhaps a more effective way to get through the parked bus.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hey, I was pleased enough with a point on Saturday, especially with the Toon and Reading both losing. As Chris Hughton says, we aren't going to win every game we play.

There is a definate tendency to over-analyze games sometimes . Lets just take that point, be satisfied with it, and move on to the Leeds game on Friday night, and try to win that one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here