Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Review your last gig

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I broke with my usual musical tastes to the degree that I went to see the SAS Band last night at G-Live in Guildford. What a superbly entertaining evening. Former Queen backroom man Spike Edney and his talented band have guest lead singers and last night included Patti Russo who accompanied much of Meatloaf's work and must have been channeling Tina Turner on a truly dynamic River Deep, Mountain High, Toyah Wilcox who turned in a cracking version of Guns n Roses' classic Sweet Child O' Mine, Tom Robinson who roused the crowd with what he described as a medley of his greatest hit, 2-4-6-8 Motorway! Madeleine Bell caned I Can't Stand the Rain and Midge Ure showed he hasn't lost any of his vocal power on Vienna, plus he's just a damned fine guitarist rocking out The Boys are Back in Town on duelling guitars with Steve Stroud. A hugely entertaining night out with too much to describe, although not forgetting the song of 29 riiffs! . But add in a tribute to Cohen from Tom Robinson, each guest singer doing a Bowie song including Ashes to Ashes, Starman, a rousing Fashion and concluding with the Christmas trio of I Wish it Could be Christmas Every Day, Fairy Tale of New York and Santa Claus is Coming to Town. A fine night out for me and Mrs Earle:rock:

Yogi Hair

Jan 25, 2012
Saw The Dammned last night in Plymouth. They are celebrating 40years and we're great. Loads of energy in a 2 hr set list. Also saw Balaam And The Angel recently at the 02 Institute in Birmingham, celebrating 30 years. They were as good as they were back in the 80's. off to see them again supporting 'Fields of the Nephlim' in Shepherds Bush on 21sr Dec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Jamie T at Brixton - smashed it as usual. New album fantastic as usual.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Jeff Lynne's ELO at the O2 last April. For any fan of ELO, this was just super as Jeff, Richard Tandy and the rest of the band fired out song after song from days gone by. Loved it, every minute of it.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I was brilliant thanks.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Joe 90 last Thursday in HH lots of good local (Sussex Kent Surrey) bands on the circuit. :rock::rave: many free venues

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Jeremy Loops at Bristol O2... madly energetic, very audience engaged... was peeved that we chose to stand upstairs... the pit was the place to be... highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
The Dammed a week or two ago at The Dome. I'm not familiar with their music. I thought that they were very good. They could have done with a great guitarist, as opposed to a good one.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just got back from Sheffield after the inaugural HRH NWOBHM festival. O2 Academy, 2 days, 30 odd bands, all from that wonderful era. Highlights, Cloven Hoof and Fist on the small stage, Witchfynde, Vardis, Blitzkreig, Venom Inc and Girlschool on the main stage, and the outstanding act for me, Grim Reaper, where have they been all my life? iTunes will be visited. To be fair, all the bands were blumming great apart from Jess Cox who came on pissed, and performed appallingly.

The second HRH NWOBHM happens next December, sadly I won't be able to go, Praying Mantis and Raven already signed up, I guess I'll have to wait for 2018s event.

Pic is Venom Inc.

image.jpeg

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Boomtown Rats , simply comical , 20 minutes into the gig Geldolf decided to take the piss out of the gathered crowd by declaring he was some sort of demi god and that the whole of essex shopped at primark , as a sussex lad it did make me titter but this news to the good folk of essex nigh on caused a riot , by the time he had finished proclaiming he wasn't too fkn keen on mondays the crowd had all but gone , it was almost Amexeian like the way the place emptied 2 songs / goals before the actual end of the gig , the brentwood festival organisers will think twice about inviting MEGABOB as he called himself , again , on the same card Tony Hadleigh was pretty cool , ABC were dire , stage 2 bands were by far the highlight .

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The Damned at the Dome a couple of weeks ago. 37 years since I last saw them so I was a bit apprehensive; would they be a bunch of pensioners going through the motions for a handful of cash (al la Status Quo) ? I don't think they were. They did the whole of Damned Damned Damned, the first album, then a bunch of favourites.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Went to see The Specials at Leicester De Montford last month. Definitely toned it down since the last time I saw them, which I suppose the 50 somethings in the crowd were quietly please about.
Steve Craddock and Gary Powell on drums were good additions. Overall a good night had by all and good memories!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
China Crisis, Saturday at Farncombe Music Club (in the local church).

Sounded as good as they did in '86.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The Boomtown Rats , simply comical , 20 minutes into the gig Geldolf decided to take the piss out of the gathered crowd by declaring he was some sort of demi god and that the whole of essex shopped at primark , as a sussex lad it did make me titter but this news to the good folk of essex nigh on caused a riot , by the time he had finished proclaiming he wasn't too fkn keen on mondays the crowd had all but gone , it was almost Amexeian like the way the place emptied 2 songs / goals before the actual end of the gig , the brentwood festival organisers will think twice about inviting MEGABOB as he called himself , again , on the same card Tony Hadleigh was pretty cool , ABC were dire , stage 2 bands were by far the highlight .

Reveals the paradox of Bob Geldof - as a bloke he's a total knob but (I think most would agree) he's actually saved many, many lives. I think that as a musician he totally over-rated his talent though and would (if pressed) probably put himself up there with Dylan (not the rabbit from The Magic Roundabout), Lennon and the like.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Madness on Saturday at the Brighton Centre. Although I first saw them back in the early 80's and many times since, this one was kind of special as I took my littleun to her first proper gig, she's 9 and she loved it. Making memories.

As for Madness, as good as they have ever been and loving some of the new stuff.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I broke with my usual musical tastes to the degree that I went to see the SAS Band last night at G-Live in Guildford. What a superbly entertaining evening. Former Queen backroom man Spike Edney and his talented band have guest lead singers and last night included Patti Russo who accompanied much of Meatloaf's work and must have been channeling Tina Turner on a truly dynamic River Deep, Mountain High, Toyah Wilcox who turned in a cracking version of Guns n Roses' classic Sweet Child O' Mine, Tom Robinson who roused the crowd with what he described as a medley of his greatest hit, 2-4-6-8 Motorway! Madeleine Bell caned I Can't Stand the Rain and Midge Ure showed he hasn't lost any of his vocal power on Vienna, plus he's just a damned fine guitarist rocking out The Boys are Back in Town on duelling guitars with Steve Stroud. A hugely entertaining night out with too much to describe, although not forgetting the song of 29 riiffs! . But add in a tribute to Cohen from Tom Robinson, each guest singer doing a Bowie song including Ashes to Ashes, Starman, a rousing Fashion and concluding with the Christmas trio of I Wish it Could be Christmas Every Day, Fairy Tale of New York and Santa Claus is Coming to Town. A fine night out for me and Mrs Earle:rock:

Sounds like an absolutely crackin' night out, v. jealous!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Jeff Lynne's ELO at the O2 last April. For any fan of ELO, this was just super as Jeff, Richard Tandy and the rest of the band fired out song after song from days gone by. Loved it, every minute of it.

A fantastic band live.

I fancied a bit of jazz last w/e, and the wife and I drove up to the Berrylands Hotel in Surbiton, to see the the Bob Barter Quartet. A bit of a family thing in a way, as my wife's sister in law is Bob's daughter.

Bob is 90 now, but still amazing on the keyboard. The highlight of the set for me though, was Jenny Howe the Irish vocalist. Her voice has an amazing range, and her version of the great Ella Fitzgerald's, Sweet Georgia Brown, was just brilliant. I really would love to see, and hear, more of her.

Last edited:

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Emphyrian, Best left dead and Gazz Marlow at the islingword. Been 8 years since Empyrean and Best left dead have played full sets and although only local bands they still pulled in a decent crowd. Hopefully they won't wait as long for the next gig.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here