Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which other championship owners have the resolve of Tony in January

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Derby, Villa, Newcastle and , up to a point, Leeds will be throwing money around in January. I reckon our deals are most likely almost done already - quietly, behind the scenes

Let's hope so. I'm really hoping that we don't fall short again in this window.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Derby, Villa, Newcastle and , up to a point, Leeds will be throwing money around in January. I reckon our deals are most likely almost done already - quietly, behind the scenes
So will Norwich.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Derby, Villa, Newcastle and , up to a point, Leeds will be throwing money around in January.
Can also add Reading to that. With a new owner likely coming in they'll likely make money available to try and secure promotion as soon as possible.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not entirely my reading of the situation. My impression was the squad was built suitable for promotion with not much left over under the FFP rules. Enough to purchase a player that is regarded good value for money, which is unlikely in January.

Conventional wisdom is to invest in one player to cement the challenge, but CH has already indicated that purchasing a striker is unlikely.

For from past season and the number of players used last season, indicated that our squad is only just about strong enough in numbers. CH has indicated that some non first teamers may have to go out on loan. I think they may need to be replaced.

Would we have signed Norwood (non scoring midfielder) if we had not been gazumped over Pritchard (who may not even been first choice anyway?)

Trend seems to be teams playing deeper this season and having a speed merchant upfront. Game management hasn't been perfect this season when holding onto a slender lead; this is where we need someone who can keep hold of the ball. In the percentage football manual, possession football is seen purely as a defensive tactic. Instead (or as well) as bringing on an extra defender I would like to put on a winger and put the ball in the corner as far away from the home goal as possible.

PS: our goal scoring is still not prolific away from home.
http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2016-2017/table

I see the answer in getting our current crop of players playing better. More total football, switching different roles (if they can). e.g. Instead of bringing on a new winger pushing Baldock wide (if he is not too tired) and bringing on Hemed.

Give our current players a chance and stop looking for unlikely made to measure replacements. (Unless you can think of any?)

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Newcastle, Villa and Norwich have the dosh from parachute payments.
Derby will have to sell to buy. Leeds are stingy.
Reading are prudent and their TV parachute money has run out.
Fulham and QPR may have some cash but their days of spending seem to be over.

We would also have competition from the Premier League lower orders?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not entirely my reading of the situation. My impression was the squad was built suitable for promotion with not much left over under the FFP rules. Enough to purchase a player that is regarded good value for money, which is unlikely in January.

Conventional wisdom is to invest in one player to cement the challenge, but CH has already indicated that purchasing a striker is unlikely

From this season, FFP is over a 3 year rolling period. This means that money spent this season can be offset by future sales. The way I see it, it's inevitable that we'll sell Dunk and Knockaert this summer, unless we get promoted, which means that TB (and PB and CH) have effectively got an extra £15m to play with when dealing in this Jan's window.

I'd guess that an attempt to bring in a striker that plays a similar role to Baldock is very likely.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

I think a deal has already been done to let a certain midfielder go and I'm hoping the deal to replace him has also been done :whistle:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Not so sure Leeds will be, are takeover talks and stuff not going on ?.....

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
From this season, FFP is over a 3 year rolling period. This means that money spent this season can be offset by future sales. The way I see it, it's inevitable that we'll sell Dunk and Knockaert this summer, unless we get promoted, which means that TB (and PB and CH) have effectively got an extra £15m to play with when dealing in this Jan's window.

I'd guess that an attempt to bring in a striker that plays a similar role to Baldock is very likely.

A gambler's view that was not lost on me. I do see this was the prime season for promotion. If a player becomes available the funds will be there.

He will have to be quicker than Baldock. I forgot about Wednesday, but they have already spent quite a lot.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Dunk, yes. Knockaert not so inevitable.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dunk, yes. Knockaert not so inevitable.

A scoop might be signing Dale Stephens on a contract? It still surprises me that he does not protect himself from injuries by signing a shorter contract with a release clause. It seems like a win-win situation if he does.

Not that he has been playing particularly well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here