Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best curry house in Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First, I know this has been done to death but I am struggling to find any recent threads on this matter. Apologies.

Second, I'm after a decent British Indian restaurant in central Brighton. I love The Curry Leaf but that's not what I'm after this time. No Chili Pickle, no "authentic" thalis etc. I want a solid British Indian selling tikka masala, jalfrezi, madras, byriani, etc etc.

I used to frequent The Ganges in Hove but was disappointed last time. If [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] comes on and tells me they're back to their usual standard then I'll go back. Otherwise up for suggestions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There was a good one down Preston St sorry cant remember the name in fact I dont know if it is still there qs many restraureants down that road have changed over the years.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
A couple of decent places I have been to recently are Memories of India at the Marina, which is a little upmarket but does all of your bog standard curries as well to a good standard, and Brinjals in Lewes Road which is a no frills good value for money Curry house.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
A couple of decent places I have been to recently are Memories of India at the Marina, which is a little upmarket but does all of your bog standard curries as well to a good standard, and Brinjals in Lewes Road which is a no frills good value for money Curry house.

Memories of India is great. Fills the OPs brief fully too, plus they stock some Indian wines which are very drinkable

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Memories of India is good .... a little up market for a curry place but far better than the poncey Chilli Pickle. Another vote for Sri India. The Elizabethan went down hill when they started doing their cooking over at the takeaway in Ladies Mile Road and driving it to the restaurant. I don't know if that has changed as I've not been back for many years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Memories of India seems to be in pole position at the moment. It has the added bonus of a few pints in the Wetherspoons as well.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Eastern Eye is excellent. Also pretty supportive of the vote for Sri India, though it is perhaps a little on the pricey side for what you get.

I think the best curry house in Brighton is Planet India, even though I'm a committed carnivore and it's vegetarian. Excellent bottled beer selection as well.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Brinjals are the guys who (did) own Bhindi's literally across the road, and then sold it and opened up the new place - so i've heard.

Their takeaways are brilliant, especially for £6 all in.

Surprised to see Sri India listed so many times, it's at the bottom of my road and is absolutely empty EVERY evening I walk past, and their takeaways are pretty poor.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Eastern Eye is excellent. Also pretty supportive of the vote for Sri India, though it is perhaps a little on the pricey side for what you get.

I think the best curry house in Brighton is Planet India, even though I'm a committed carnivore and it's vegetarian. Excellent bottled beer selection as well.

I have heard good things about Planet India but it doesn't fit my brief of solid "British Indian."

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have heard good things about Planet India but it doesn't fit my brief of solid "British Indian."

I hear you. It's not Chilli Pickle levels of poncery though. The dishes would be familiar to most just with the meat taken away. Very easy on the wallet as well (unless you opt to spend the difference on beer.)

Eastern Eye is very good on the 'British Indian' scale and has the added bonus that you don't have to go to the Marina.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Eastern eye is excellent. Shahi inconsistent. Balti Express and Agra Tandoori great take away only options.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

Seconded Brinjals, Eaten in a couple of times now and each time great service and food. The restaurant doesn't have a licence but you can get 10% from the offie next door.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surprised to see Sri India listed so many times, it's at the bottom of my road and is absolutely empty EVERY evening I walk past, and their takeaways are pretty poor.

I've had a takeaway from there and wasn't impressed.

I've eaten at Planet India too and was even less impressed (and I am a vegetarian).

Eastern Eye is good though ... that would be my choice

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here