Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Oxford 1966

aldo1996

Dec 26, 2011
Hi

This is A bit of a long shot. I’m a collector of Oxford United football programmes from 1960 – present day. I’m trying to find a programme for the following game

15/01/1966 - Brighton v Oxford (Postponed)

Any help in pointing me in the right direction to being able to get any information or to be able to get hold of a copy would be gratefully appreciated

Many Thanks

Richard

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Unless there is a very unlikely coincidence that the Oxford United game was postponed two years running on exactly the same day I would hazard a guess that either you or this site is mistaken about the date. You say the match was postponed on 15th January 1966, whereas if you look at the bottom of the page of this link it says the match against Oxford was postponed on 15th January 1965 and that the programme is unavailable.

http://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk/196566/4561292779

Edit: Looking at fixture lists for 64-65 and 65-66 seasons I've come to the conclusion that you are correct and the site is wrong because in season 64-65 Brighton had already played Oxford at home in August 64 so it would not have been postponed in January 65.

Last edited:

aldo1996

Dec 26, 2011
Hi

This is A bit of a long shot. I’m a collector of Oxford United football programmes from 1960 – present day. I’m trying to find a programme for the following game

15/01/1966 - Brighton v Oxford (Postponed)

Any help in pointing me in the right direction to being able to get any information or to be able to get hold of a copy would be gratefully appreciated

Many Thanks

Richard

Still very much looking at being able to find one of these programmes, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Richard

taz

Feb 18, 2015
This game was probably postponed because of snow and freezing temperatures, snow was 4inches deep around Sussex and south on 11th Jan 1966, by the 18th Jan there had been further wide spread snow in south and temperature had dropped to a new record -16c,, I presume that this game would have been doubtful to be played some days before it was due,. And the printers of the programme would have normally printed a day before a match and delivery on the morning of the match,, so there probably is not a copy ever printed !!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This game was probably postponed because of snow and freezing temperatures, snow was 4inches deep around Sussex and south on 11th Jan 1966, by the 18th Jan there had been further wide spread snow in south and temperature had dropped to a new record -16c,, I presume that this game would have been doubtful to be played some days before it was due,. And the printers of the programme would have normally printed a day before a match and delivery on the morning of the match,, so there probably is not a copy ever printed !!

This is surely the right answer. From distant memory the big freeze in '66 resulted in losing about 3 weeks of the season

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Still very much looking at being able to find one of these programmes, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Richard

The programme definitely exists. However, just to give an idea of it's scarcity, I've been collecting Albion programmes for over 30 years - I need less than 60 post-war home league and cup programmes - and I have never seen a copy listed or for sale.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The programme definitely exists. However, just to give an idea of it's scarcity, I've been collecting Albion programmes for over 30 years - I need less than 60 post-war home league and cup programmes - and I have never seen a copy listed or for sale.

i inherited boxes and boxes and boxes of old programmes, i'll have a look over Christmas when not busy cos I don't want them

aldo1996

Dec 26, 2011

I've seen one on ebay but that was around 3 or 4 years ago and hadn't noticed it until the auction had finished.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here