Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 repair - if it's even worth it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My faithful old retainer PS3 seems fairly kaput, even though it's been turned off and on, and hoovered!

Firstly can anyone recommend a West Sussex repairer, on the off chance it's a simple fix.
It just won't stay on.

But more importantly, the PS isn't used for gaming, but is my connection to:-

I-player, et al.
Netflix
&
Now TV (for Albion away TV games, Brum being on the horizon)

if the PS isn't worth the fix what's my best move for a CHEAP AND IDIOT PROOF replacement?
Just another secondhand PS3 or is there something more '21st century'?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
My faithful old retainer PS3 seems fairly kaput, even though it's been turned off and on, and hoovered!

Firstly can anyone recommend a West Sussex repairer, on the off chance it's a simple fix.
It just won't stay on.

I-player, et al.
Netflix
&

if the PS isn't worth the fix what's my best move for a CHEAP AND IDIOT PROOF replacement?

For cheap and idiot proof as you put it I think you get another PS3 - unless you use android and get an Android TV box but make sure you get one which is fully set up as you do not want to have to play with updating etc when you get it. The problem is things like Now TV box dont allow Netflix and I do not think the Firestick allows Now TV (I guess as they do not want to promote another service)

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

It just won't stay on.

I-player, et al.
Netflix
&

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-3500E...80850901&sr=1-1&keywords=roku+streaming+stick Currently less than half price with Amazon

The Roku stick would be the easiest and has everything you need. You could get a now tv box as well and sideload Netflix onto it, or even a kodi box.
But for ease of use with no messing about then the roku stick is pretty good, more information here https://www.roku.com/en-gb/

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks.

Although we might have to come back to sideloading, nearer the time. :shrug: :lol:

You will not need to sideload with the roku stick. Just download the apps you want on it.

My favourite is the android box with kodi on it, but they sometimes need some maintenance.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

It just won't stay on.

I-player, et al.
Netflix
&

You can have my one for nothing!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You will not need to sideload with the roku stick. Just download the apps you want on it.

My favourite is the android box with kodi on it, but they sometimes need some maintenance.
I'm just looking into it now.

The Roku stick seems ideal, cheap and (hopefully) idiot proof, thanks for reading the brief!

Now for the point where I start getting ideas way way above my station.
As Roku seems ideal, would I be better off future proofing and spending £49.00 on a Roku 3 HD Streaming Player?

Or is that a bit of an unnecessary when it comes to just watching TV.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I'm just looking into it now.

The Roku stick seems ideal, cheap and (hopefully) idiot proof, thanks for reading the brief!

Now for the point where I start getting ideas way way above my station.
As Roku seems ideal, would I be better off future proofing and spending £49.00 on a Roku 3 HD Streaming Player?

Or is that a bit of an unnecessary when it comes to just watching TV.

Compare them here https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/compare

Roku 3 is better for games, can plug headphones into the remote and has a faster processor.

For watching the tv in HD, the roku stick is fine. The roku 3 just has a few more gimmicks.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Roku, we have 3 in our house. Only streaming widget I found (before the Fire TV came out) that did all the catch ups + netflix + amazon + PLEX

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bloody hell - Luddite Stat here again.
I appreciate this is old news to you guys, but I'm still amazed.

Reading about Roku before then buying it, got me thinking.
Now on my really old Nokia Microsoft phone, I have Netflix.

All I've got to do now is somehow connect my phone to the TV.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Is there any 'jazz' on Roku? I think [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is too shy to ask.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
You can watch Amazon through Chromecast using the Amazon video app and cast it from your phone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here