Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Sutton and other pundits

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I know that the media are involved in a huge job creation scheme for ex-pros but Chris Sutton seems to be everywhere right now and has finally made it onto MoTD. I think he goes for the 'plain-speaking' approach but I'm not really sure he brings much else to the table. I'm never sure how some ex-pros evolve into these pundit roles (Adam Virgo is on the fringes and tends to get wheeled out for obscure FA Cup ties) and why some are then fast-tracked to pundit heavyweight status.

Having been relieved to see the back of the Hanson-Lawro duopoly on MoTD I suppose it should be good to see others come through but surely there's someone out there with a bit more to offer than Chris Sutton?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Keown is the most overrated . He speaks with authority and usually butts in, but there's very little to what he says . I quite like Sutton

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
He seems to be trying very hard to come across as the 'blunt speaker' but it comes across (to me anyway) as always looking for something negative, regardless of how the match was.

I've always assumed it's him trying to make a mark, hopefully he'll calm it down a bit in time.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I generally do not mind the insight by ex pros but Sutton is terrible, also stupidly biased to the point its not watchable. Last season we played Norwich on BT towards the end of the season and comfortably beat them but the pre show Sutton kept saying we had no chance against a quality Norwich side, at half time said ever decision was going against them although for all of them all other pundits including Webb said the right one was given and obviously so, and afterwards basically just said he hoped Sunderland go down simply as they beat his beloved Norwich.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Agree about Danny Murphy. I think he's better on the radio if paired with a decent host like saggers or Colin Murray because he has a chance to elaborate a bit more, and usually what he says is very considered.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I generally do not mind the insight by ex pros but Sutton is terrible, also stupidly biased to the point its not watchable. Last season we played Norwich on BT towards the end of the season and comfortably beat them but the pre show Sutton kept saying we had no chance against a quality Norwich side, at half time said ever decision was going against them although for all of them all other pundits including Webb said the right one was given and obviously so, and afterwards basically just said he hoped Sunderland go down simply as they beat his beloved Norwich.

BT is the worst, loaded with pro Liverpool pundits that start to sulk when itheyxare not winning and gloat when they are.

its impossible to listen to.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I muted MOTD this morning from the half way point because of his delivery, which wouldn't have been out of place in a panto. He was appalling and he had absolutely nothing of note to say. Then again, they haven't had anything interesting to say on MOTD in years, the odd snippet from Murphy aside.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I find Sutton unbearable on the radio. He exceeded my incredibly low expectations on TV yesterday, but not by much. Quite like Murphy and Jermaine Jenas.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought he wasn't too bad, it seems his star is rising but we seem to be hearing less of Claridge which isn't a bad thing. For me personally, I find John Murray the most annoying voice on radio, he has an annoying nasal North Eastern whiney accent which goes to too high an octave at every opportunity. ..plus he struggles with pronunciation, got fed up with hearing " Idn Azad " being mentioned yesterday during the Chelsea v City game.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Anyone is better than Jermain Jenas, who sometimes just strings some random words together that don't even form a coherent sentence.

I caught some footy programme on the BBC over the weekend that had some bint as a pundit. I'm sorry, but women and football just don't mix.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't like any of them, end of. Just because the great majority of pundits are famous ex pros, what makes the powers that be presume that they are any more knowledgable about the game than the hundreds of thousands of fans who regularly watch their teams each week?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Glad people like Murphy - he actually gives a proper insight into the game. Michael Owen is surely the worst out there!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I feel it's a shame that Danny Murphy isn't coaching, hopefully he will in the future. To echo what others have said, his thoughts are considered, insightful and he boasts a far larger vocabulary than most modern footballers. I was hoping that he'd be Hyypia's assistant when he joined us.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I liked Sutton on MOTD last night. He was next to the dullest man on earth so that may have helped.

Good to see they all agreed that Dele Alli is a cheating ****.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I thought Sutton was awful to be honest. His plain speaking was apparent, but he was just being forthright about things that viewer could see with their own eyes. There was nothing genuinely insightful in anything he said.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I liked Sutton on MOTD last night. He was next to the dullest man on earth so that may have helped.

Good to see they all agreed that Dele Alli is a cheating ****.

Do you think Shearer off-air tells him to pass him the conversation like he had to pass the ball at Blackburn?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here