Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Home made piccalilli

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watched Rick Stein on Saturday kitchen this morning and decided I would make some but looking at the various recipes it seems most need 3 months pickling. Is there any way that this can be quickened up to be ready for Christmas if I do it this weekend. I have the jars and can get the ingredients tomorrow. Before anybody suggests it I dont want to buy it ready made from the supermarket I want to make it,.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Watched Rick Stein on Saturday kitchen this morning and decided I would make some but looking at the various recipes it seems most need 3 months pickling. Is there any way that this can be quickened up to be ready for Christmas if I do it this weekend.

Have Christmas on March 25th?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Buy some

Pop it in the jars.

Tell no-one. Not even yourself. Erase your memory, rip pages out of the diary, reset your clocks etc. Believe 3 months have passed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just wondered as all the recipes said to use malt vinegar and boil it whether I could speed it up by using pickling vinegar or storing it in either a warm or cold place whether that would make any difference. I am using the info from NSC posters who may have made some in the past.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I just wondered as all the recipes said to use malt vinegar and boil it whether I could speed it up by using pickling vinegar or storing it in either a warm or cold place whether that would make any difference. I am using the info from NSC posters who may have made some in the past.

For a 2nd time-You need bacteria....perhaps not the dish clothe. & yes warmness will speed up bacteria and it's spred.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/pickles/salt.html

Failing that where is [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION]

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I just wondered ...whether I could speed it up by using pickling vinegar or storing it in either a warm or cold place whether that would make any difference.

It might make a difference to Boxing Day...:mad:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I read the piece that you highlighted after thinking that you was taking the p..s then I realised that you werent, many thanks.

BG,i was taking the micky at the end with PPF a little,good luck with the pickling..see you on March 25th for a taste :jester:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Buy some

Pop it in the jars.

Tell no-one. Not even yourself. Erase your memory, rip pages out of the diary, reset your clocks etc. Believe 3 months have passed.

can we make it 6 and include our current league position?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love piccalilli

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills