Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coffee Bars/Cheap Office

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Had another example of a Coffee bar being used as a cheap alternate for an office,found a spare table a few minutes later another person entered and joined a female on the table next to us,she was questioned on her past experience and produced a CV which was discussed entries were made on a laptop and a couple of calls made on a mobile,it was a narrow room and you could not ignore what was going on,by now the place was full and in fact people were looking for a space and left which meant loss business for the firm,only the person conducting the interview purchased a drink,
I consider that large notices should be put up to put an end to this situation

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Had another example of a Coffee bar being used as a cheap alternate for an office,found a spare table a few minutes later another person entered and joined a female on the table next to us,she was questioned on her past experience and produced a CV which was discussed entries were made on a laptop and a couple of calls made on a mobile,it was a narrow room and you could not ignore what was going on,by now the place was full and in fact people were looking for a space and left which meant loss business for the firm,only the person conducting the interview purchased a drink,

Stop moaning....I conducted an interview in a Costa less than 2 weeks ago! It's the future!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
How do people find time to even go to these places!?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove

It's quite common practice and I don't personally see a problem with it. I did visit a Starbucks recently that actually had a small conference room in one corner that seemed pretty soundproof. It looked like an interview was taking place in there, as you could see through the glass doors. I thought that was a good idea.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Never used to happen in Lyons tea rooms.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I do this all the time, at least for a first meeting with a potential candidate.
-difficult to find free interview rooms in our building
-candidates often prefer to meet on 'neutral ground' as may be sensitive to being potentially spotted walking in or out of a rival firms's office

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I tend to do this a lot in London. Unless it's a Starbucks I usually buy a drink though, feels a bit cheeky if not

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Wtf? Interviews are now conducted on neutral ground? What happened to the good old days of getting dressed up, doing research on a prospective new work place? You're interviewing them as well aren't you? Isn't an interview a big thing and you're supposed to be nervous? How would an employer get a,good read on on a,possible employee if they're not in their prospective work environment.

Perhaps it's just the industry or environment i work in but that sounds stupid to me.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This tradition goes back centuries. Insurance was first started and conducted in Coffee Houses.

How many chains have you tried? Starbucks if you want a weak brew but Cafe Nero,Coffee Republic or Small Batch for something stronger

If you wanted to be a real cheapskate you could do the interview in a Waitrose and take advantage of a free coffee!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here