Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Long Cardiff Weekend' drinking thread.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It’s another excuse to get away for a romantic weekend. Oh wait, Brighton are in town, what a coincidence. These are a few town centre bars for the ale drinkers amongst us who are staying over.
The Small Bar. 17 Church St, CF10 1BG http://www.smallbar.co.uk/cardiff 32 taps. Only just opened so I’ve not visited yet. On my list though.
The HopBunker. Kingsway, CF10 3FD. In a basement, 15 ales on tap. A drinking mans ale house with no frills.
Pen & Wig 1 Park Grove Cardiff, CF10 3BJ http://www.penandwigcardiff.co.uk/ . Near the museum. Bit out of the way but worth the visit.
The Christmas market is on in the city centre with the usual German Bar with beer and sausages.
Plenty of Braines pubs and of the few I’ve visited, they have guest ales and are happy to do a ‘flight’ (3 x thirds)
Please add your favourite to the list. I’ve 18 hours of drinking time to fill.:cheers: Please drink responably.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It’s another excuse to get away for a romantic weekend. Oh wait, Brighton are in town, what a coincidence. These are a few town centre bars for the ale drinkers amongst us who are staying over.
The Small Bar. 17 Church St, CF10 1BG http://www.smallbar.co.uk/cardiff 32 taps. Only just opened so I’ve not visited yet. On my list though.
The HopBunker. Kingsway, CF10 3FD. In a basement, 15 ales on tap. A drinking mans ale house with no frills.
Pen & Wig 1 Park Grove Cardiff, CF10 3BJ http://www.penandwigcardiff.co.uk/ . Near the museum. Bit out of the way but worth the visit.
The Christmas market is on in the city centre with the usual German Bar with beer and sausages.
Plenty of Braines pubs and of the few I’ve visited, they have guest ales and are happy to do a ‘flight’ (3 x thirds)
Please add your favourite to the list. I’ve 18 hours of drinking time to fill.:cheers: Please drink responably.

Ooh, thanks for that. My first time in Cardiff and I was just about to put out my own general pub enquiry thread..

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll be spending a lot of the weekend drinking and staying in Pontcanna. North of the City or you can get to it by walking through Canton after the game. A number of good pubs. These two are in a top 12 pubs in Cardiff listing. COpied and pasted for you.

Y Mochyn Du (The Black Pig)
Sophia Close
Pontcanna
This is easily one of the best pubs in Cardiff. The staff are friendly and Welsh speaking, there’s always a nice atmosphere, a great beer garden in a huge park and a good choice of local beers and wine. The Perry Vale Welsh pear cider made just north of Cardiff is highly recommended. The food is also very good, with a good choice of proper Welsh dishes, including Laverbread (a traditional dish made from seaweed). If you're visiting Cardiff this is one place not to miss!

The Conway
58, Conway Road
Pontcanna
A great little pub tucked away in the posh leafy suburb of Pontcanna. (think media types with wine rather than woolly jumpers and real ale). The menu offers new twists on pub classics like fish and chips, as well as more unusual dishes which are perfect for the more adventurous palate. Sunday is a great day to go there with the papers and watch an afternoon spread into the evening when the famously hard pub quiz kicks off. A bit of pub trivia for you; the Conway was used as a location for the sci-fi series Doctor Who.

Well placed for Cardiff Parkrun Saturday morning for anyone going down on Friday!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Ooh, thanks for that. My first time in Cardiff and I was just about to put out my own general pub enquiry thread..
You're welcome. Worth noting that Cardiff shuts down Sunday evenings. Last visit (September) we could not find a pub doing food. All had excuses from 'oven broken' to 'staff shortages' although the truth was there were no punters on the street, and that included the Slug & Lettuce bar. Ended up in Spoons (Lloyds No1) on our own.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I'll be spending a lot of the weekend drinking and staying in Pontcanna. North of the City or you can get to it by walking through Canton after the game. A number of good pubs. These two are in a top 12 pubs in Cardiff listing. COpied and pasted for you.

Y Mochyn Du (The Black Pig)
Sophia Close
Pontcanna
This is easily one of the best pubs in Cardiff. The staff are friendly and Welsh speaking, there’s always a nice atmosphere, a great beer garden in a huge park and a good choice of local beers and wine. The Perry Vale Welsh pear cider made just north of Cardiff is highly recommended. The food is also very good, with a good choice of proper Welsh dishes, including Laverbread (a traditional dish made from seaweed). If you're visiting Cardiff this is one place not to miss!

The Conway
58, Conway Road
Pontcanna
A great little pub tucked away in the posh leafy suburb of Pontcanna. (think media types with wine rather than woolly jumpers and real ale). The menu offers new twists on pub classics like fish and chips, as well as more unusual dishes which are perfect for the more adventurous palate. Sunday is a great day to go there with the papers and watch an afternoon spread into the evening when the famously hard pub quiz kicks off. A bit of pub trivia for you; the Conway was used as a location for the sci-fi series Doctor Who.

Well placed for Cardiff Parkrun Saturday morning for anyone going down on Friday!

Good course that - the missus did it when a few of us did the world half marathon there in March.

The Brains bog standard bitter is generally quality - as was the 'Stereophonics' bitter on tap.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here