Lib/Dems win Richmond Park.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Poor Zac. How will he cope?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I am aware that the Heathrow isue played a major part in this election but very interesting that the Lib Dem candidate was an anti Brexit campaigner.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I am aware that the Heathrow isue played a major part in this election but very interesting that the Lib Dem candidate was an anti Brexit campaigner.

Goldsmith's resignation was over Heathrow, but the lib-dem was against that too, and radio 4 said this morning she managed to turn it in to a Brexit campaign. They also said some of it was about Goldsmith's dirty mayoral campaign.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not much of a surprise really liberal left Richmond. See how they fair in the next bi-election in Lincolnshire.

Sleaford was a decent Tory majority with the lib-dems nowhere, so it's hardly comparable. If the LD's won that, it would be seismic.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not much of a surprise really liberal left Richmond.

Liberal left? Goldsmith had a 23,000 majority, it was one of the safest Tory seats in the country and Labour lost its deposit. You've clearly been to Richmond but I spent three years working there and it's very, very affluent.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Liberal left? Goldsmith had a 23,000 majority, it was one of the safest Tory seats in the country and Labour lost its deposit. You've clearly been to Richmond but I spent three years working there and it's very, very affluent.

And it's also full of people who have the ability to think things through properly and make the most sensible decisions.
It's just a shame that the majority of the rest of the country was unable to do this.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly. It's not a shock because the LibDems poured resources into a winnable seat. But some people on here are talking as if it was a gimme when it clearly wasn't because Richmond is NOT natural LibDem territory.

I'm delighted by this result but I'd be interested to see how they might do in a seat that is very 50-50 pro/anti brexit. That would be a far better indication of the public strength of feeling on the issue.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Lib Dems held the seat before the last GE.

It's hardly a massive shock, everyone was mooting this could happen when Goldsmith stood down.

Also since the last GE the tories have become increasingly right wing, and unlikeable, which has probably turned off a lot of voters in Richmond overall.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And it's also full of people who have the ability to think things through properly and make the most sensible decisions.
It's just a shame that the majority of the rest of the country was unable to do this.
Wow. I've read some patronising bollocks on here but that takes the biscuit.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
It would seem to me that Zac missed the point of being an MP entirely. He should represent his constituencies views. By backing brexit when there is a clear mandate from his constituency for remain he shot himself in the foot.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lib Dems held the seat before the last GE.

It's hardly a massive shock, everyone was mooting this could happen when Goldsmith stood down.

Also since the last GE the tories have become increasingly right wing, and unlikeable, which has probably turned off a lot of voters in Richmond overall.

Not strictly true. The Conservatives held Richmond in 2015, and won it in 2010. Prior to that it was a Lib Dem seat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here