Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber Holbrook Club

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Was at the Holbrook Club last night for the Paul Barber Q and A. Highlights as follows as best as I can remember.

1. Barber seeking Sussex MPs and Government help with the rail problems. A couple have been helpful, others less so. Franchise is owned by the government.
2. Hotel plans will be resubmitted with a new roof.
3. Amex can not be expanded significantly. Martin Perry says it not a meccano set.
3. Club take every measure possible re child protection currently. Obviously things in the past may have been different.
4. Club think its not worthwhile trying to organize seated only areas for away games as ultimately it is up to the home club's safety officer how the seats are filled on the day. So any pre made plans could be over ruled on safety grounds.
5. QPR case will be heard in the spring. QPR have done all they can to delay the process. Football league clubs are having to pay for FL lawyers. QPR, Bournemouth and Leicester cheated and they took places in the PL that should have gone to other clubs. It was like they were playing with 12 players.
6. Club has expanded youth recruitment into South London. South London boys help to toughen up the southern softies who are more skillful so a good mix now (I'm paraphrasing here).
7. Catering at record levels for last 3 home games. Sorry if pies run out. Its difficult to plan. Events at record levels at Amex also.
8. Contract talks are on going with DS. PB described in quite a bit of detail the actual mechanics of the negotiation process which was quite interesting. Some Albion players do not have agents for example (I thought they all did) and for a lot of the contracts the agent adds very little apart from taking a cut which could have gone to the player.
9. Not happy with Villa over Calderwood although we got a very large sum in compensation (for an assistant) which Villa just paid without blinking.
10. Bloom is a proper fan (we know) and currently subsidising around £2 millio pcm.
11. Average championship player on 12K a week PB estimated and prem player 80K.
12. New website for the club next near which will be much better and include the ability to stream away games for overseas supporters.
13. Will look at outside toilets if we get promoted to prem (more money)
14. Will look at new lift to coach park if we get promoted to prem (more money).
15. GM CAN NOT BE RECALLED

And last but I think most significant (it was my question) the issue of the rubbish stick on sponsor panel. PB agrees stick on sponsor panel does not look good (2 kits running) but Amex stipulated it. Next years kit design is done already and its our best ever by far and he thought I would like it - to which I replied 'so the sponsor panel part of the fabric then' which he did not deny (or definitely confirm for that matter). Anyway hopefully nike have listened and made this available - or at least improved significantly the current effort. PB did confirm there is definitely space on the sleeve for the Premier League logo. Also said that Nike provide lots of free kit to all levels at the club which other providers would not.

PB very personable and did not hold back in his answers. He always seems pretty clued up to me. A good evening all round - (i'm only saying this bit because they monitor / take notice of NSC)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
12. New website for the club next near which will be much better and include the ability to stream away games for overseas supporters.

Is that still part of a collective football league deal, or are the club going with an independent website?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
8 So how long has David Stockdale got left on his current contract?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Is that still part of a collective football league deal, or are the club going with an independent website?

Your right the current deal is collective which is why its a bit rubbish I suspect - club are told the format. PB was saying it will be much better designed next year which implies its independent but I dont remember him saying that specifically - so it may not be.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Thanks for the list. A couple of nuggets we didn't know before, particularly 12 and 15

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
thanks for taking the time to write all that,Some good questions and replies

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
thanks for taking the time to write all that,Some good questions and replies
No problem. We are pretty lucky as fans to get the access we do to PB and TB. Always worth attending if you get a chance. Notes are from memory so are not perfect although they are 100% better than if I had been asked to make notes on a work meeting a day later!!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I was there last night and this was an excellent summary. he didn't shirk a single question and gave quite a lot of detail, which I don't expect anyone would get an your own company CEO. One surprise for me was a players contract can be 150pages long - most being standard stuff. He is also not best pleased with Southern!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I was there last night and this was an excellent summary. he didn't shirk a single question and gave quite a lot of detail, which I don't expect anyone would get an your own company CEO. One surprise for me was a players contract can be 150pages long - most being standard stuff. He is also not best pleased with Southern!

Not often you see QOTS fans. Respect

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks a lot for taking the time to post this, very interesting.

6 - potentially usurping the Nigels. Excellent news.
8 - sounds encouraging
11 - scary stuff
13 - good, I usually have to get into the concourse soon after arrival
15 - marvellous news

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here