Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Genealogy sites

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Anyone got any experience of using any of the genealogy sites?

Worth the money for making it easy or just a bit of a con as all the information is available online if you know where to look?

I used to broker the data for one of them (WRM) but they've now gone belly up so was wondering if that is because ancestry.com (or A N Other) have cornered the market or it's just a bit of con?

The sheer quantity and variety of records that Ancestry offers make it superior to all of the other sites.

And they keep adding new searchable databases ... most recently the records of qualified nurses in the UK, which acts as a useful check of addresses and marital status, that we once could only get by waiting ten years for the next census data to become available.

A lot of good quality ancient parish records are also appearing, with images of the original records.

A pricey subscription, but well worth it, in my opinion.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
The sheer quantity and variety of records that Ancestry offers make it superior to all of the other sites.

And they keep adding new searchable databases ... most recently the records of qualified nurses in the UK, which acts as a useful check of addresses and marital status, that we once could only get by waiting ten years for the next census data to become available.

A lot of good quality ancient parish records are also appearing, with images of the original records.

A pricey subscription, but well worth it, in my opinion.

Totally agree with this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here