Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More than 250,000 are homeless in England - Shelter

Jan 30, 2008

I didn't know it was that high!
Brighton is one of the worst with 1 in every 69 homeless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38157410

If you feel you can do something, there is a great charity called Emmaus which does some stirling work.

http://www.emmausbrighton.co.uk/

Use Emmaus quite often to buy bits and then use the cafe! Always worth a look around!:moo: Last time i tried to pass on some cash to a homeless bloke he started throwing things at me:( More than just homeless it appears!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I didn't know it was that high!
Brighton is one of the worst with 1 in every 69 homeless.

To be fair, if you were homeless, or even wanted a soft touch, you'd gravitate towards where the odds were most in your favour. Which invariably means Brighton. Not saying there's not a lot of people out there who genuinely need help. But there's also a serious number of chancers who know all the prime spots.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
To be fair, if you were homeless, or even wanted a soft touch, you'd gravitate towards where the odds were most in your favour. Which invariably means Brighton. Not saying there's not a lot of people out there who genuinely need help. But there's also a serious number of chancers who know all the prime spots.

Only one flaw in your theory, Luton has a ratio of 1 in every 63.
I mean LUTON FFS who in their right mind......

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Meet an 80 year old lady in Worthing the other day frezzing cold asking passers by if they had any change begging on the street this is so not right so I wrote to my MP to suggest that in such times we should not spend 2.5 billion pounds on the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham palace and the other stately home mentioned last week on the news propping up the few but instead invest in the poor and needy.

It's so wrong that we have the old needing to beg, not even close to the amount of social housing required spend 2.5 billion on this

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Will be denied by the government with the usual reply of how much money as gone into this and that when the truth is right in front of your eyes, same replies for food banks, NHS, social care and lots more.
They deny everything and just answer in monetary terms even when cuts have been made, it makes my piss boil.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Define homeless. Begging on the streets? Living in a hostel? Sleeping on a sofa or in a spare room? It's become a catch all phrase that simplifies and even distracts from the complex needs that people have.

Oh - and always give to homeless charities if you want to protect people and help them to build a life away from the streets, rather than keeping them there as it's a way to get money.

Oct 25, 2003
I worked for 3 years for a homeless agency before unfortunately it took its toll on me and I had to get out. In my 3 years the work just became more and more of a losing battle with not only the volume of rough sleepers rising but also the complexity of those individuals. When I first started you had a lot more of your, if you like, 'old school' homeless people- mostly men in their 40's/50's who had been homeless for a while, very much entrenched but reasonably straight forward....they tended not to beg, they were pretty respectful of people who were trying to help them etc. (this is a sweeping generalisation but was more often than not the case). By the end of my time there the homeless scene in Brighton was absolute chaos and had grown to an unmanageable level- the type of homeless person had changed as well....there was a LOT more mental illness with people who are WAY too vulnerable to spend a night on the streets not getting the help they need, there was a LOT more drug use (especially during the horrendous 'legal high' phase), and there was a big increase in young, pretty aggressive males from overseas who were causing all sorts of problems.

Unfortunately Brighton has become a bit of a honeypot for people with all sorts of issues as it's perceived to have good services (homeless people DO come to Brighton because of the quality of it's homeless services- that is a fact) and it's perceived to have a decent quality of life, jobs, and safety

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm surprised that there isn't any government funded emergency Japanese style capsule accommodation in problem areas. You could have temporary modular structures on unused sites like Preston Barracks for example. It could even be a good business for a private venture that was financed by the government because it would save on paying emergency landlords top prices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here