Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Younger Kids and Away Games – Advice Please

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I took my son to the MK Dons away fixture last year and he found it all a bit overwhelming to be honest. He was only 5 and in the run up he had a lovely time but when we got in there he seemed to go into his shell. He found the screaming profanities a bit much to handle. We had some very pissed blokes around us and they just wouldn’t stop swearing. He’s no shrinking violate normally but found it all a bit much.

It’s almost a 8 months on, he’s now 6 and he has been to loads football games since and knows a bit more what to expect. That in mind and him pestering me I am going to take him to the Fulham game> As he’s never been to London we’ll make a day of it and go to the Natural History Museum in the Morning, pop for some lunch then on to the game.

I was wondering if anyone on here takes younger kids to away games regularly if they have any advice on what to do and not to do on away trips. I would like him to come to more away games as he's great company but am reluctant because of the MK Dons games. Thanks In Advance for all of your help.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Rather than go into the away end at Fulham, where he probably won't see a thing and be very crowded, you might be better trying to get tickets in the family stand

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Games in the capital seem to attract our mental squad so i would suggest if you go to sit in the neutral zone at fulham , you book this area from fulham fc website . seemed to be a lot of families in it from both sides when i sat there , no trouble at all .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yep. The London Away Goons will be out in force for this one.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Games in the capital seem to attract our mental squad so i would suggest if you go to sit in the neutral zone at fulham , you book this area from fulham fc website . seemed to be a lot of families in it from both sides when i sat there , no trouble at all .

This is great advice. It really is best to avoid away ends for London games if you've got young children.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Yep the Notters rule applies here, Generally 100-150 miles from Brighton and you don't get as many idiots.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I've been taking my son to away games since he was 5 too and never had any bother. Makes sense though as we're in Sheffield so it's generally Leeds, Wednesday, Huddersfield etc although we did do MK last season too where there were a few dickheads but nothing major (and he's nearly ten now anyway).

Sounds like the "further away from Brighton" rule is a good one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Best advise I can give is steer clear of The Natural History Museum and go to the Science Museum instead.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Have taken my son to away games since an early age and you are right to be careful. That said they soon become completely immune to the more moronic fan.

What others have already said though is true about London games always bringing out the tossers.

The only thing I would add is that you do have visibility as to which seats you are getting. If you time your purchase right you can get a lower down row which will generally be more likely to find fans sitting and less of the twats who tend to edge to the back.

However you can't chose this, it's just a case of trying a few times to hope you get what you need.

Jan 30, 2008
I took my son to the MK Dons away fixture last year and he found it all a bit overwhelming to be honest. He was only 5 and in the run up he had a lovely time but when we got in there he seemed to go into his shell. He found the screaming profanities a bit much to handle. We had some very pissed blokes around us and they just wouldn’t stop swearing. He’s no shrinking violate normally but found it all a bit much.

It’s almost a 8 months on, he’s now 6 and he has been to loads football games since and knows a bit more what to expect. That in mind and him pestering me I am going to take him to the Fulham game> As he’s never been to London we’ll make a day of it and go to the Natural History Museum in the Morning, pop for some lunch then on to the game.

I was wondering if anyone on here takes younger kids to away games regularly if they have any advice on what to do and not to do on away trips. I would like him to come to more away games as he's great company but am reluctant because of the MK Dons games. Thanks In Advance for all of your help.
a bit like parents who take baby's on holiday abroad :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Best advise I can give is steer clear of The Natural History Museum and go to the Science Museum instead.

Strike that. Reverse it. The Natural History Museum > Science Museum, in my opinion.

Be very careful the day could go right tits up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRloSmzWBOg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Strike that. Reverse it. The Natural History Museum > Science Museum, in my opinion.
I can only assume you haven't been to TNH museum since you went on a school trip.
That's fine, the museum hasn't changed since then.

Actually thinking about it maybe the OP was right after all.
Nobody is getting round The Science museum in just a morning.
Whereas you can do TNH in a couple of hours and still have time for a pre match beer or 3.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I can only assume you haven't been to TNH museum since you went on a school trip.
That's fine, the museum hasn't changed since then.

Actually thinking about it maybe the OP was right after all.
Nobody is getting round The Science museum in just a morning.
Whereas you can do TNH in a couple of hours and still have time for a pre match beer or 3.

You're right. I haven't been to the Natural History Museum since I was about ten, but I loved it, as I'd imagine most young boys (the OP's son) would.

I last went to the Science Museum in 2014. Wasted three hours walking around that thing. I just didn't find any of it interesting.

Each to their own... but I'd much rather look at dinosaur skeletons than look at the gadgets from the last few centuries.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wouldn't pay too much attention to your seat numbers, just take him up the front away from the 'action',

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Have taken my son to away games since an early age and you are right to be careful. That said they soon become completely immune to the more moronic fan.

What others have already said though is true about London games always bringing out the tossers.

The only thing I would add is that you do have visibility as to which seats you are getting. If you time your purchase right you can get a lower down row which will generally be more likely to find fans sitting and less of the twats who tend to edge to the back.

However you can't chose this, it's just a case of trying a few times to hope you get what you need.

I spoke to the guy on the ticket line and I have tickets on an aisle and near the front so should be ok.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Ignore your seat numbers and pick a row near the front. There will be plenty of room normally as most people want to edge to the middle/back for atmosphere.

You occasionally get some strange ones at the front but normally fine. Fulham though will likely be all ticket so it may be more difficult.

If you are set on this particular fixture the safest bet is to get tickets in the family section.

a bit like parents who take baby's on holiday abroad :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Both my kids had been to over 6 countries before their first birthday. What you implying?

As for OP you will always find seats with a lesser chance of bumping into our brain dead contingent if you go the front rows. Unspoken rule that 15-50 years old wanna be nearer the back making the noise. He will have a good view and prob pensioners and kids around. You will be fine.

Jan 30, 2008
Both my kids had been to over 6 countries before their first birthday. What you implying?

As for OP you will always find seats with a lesser chance of bumping into our brain dead contingent if you go the front rows. Unspoken rule that 15-50 years old wanna be nearer the back making the noise. He will have a good view and prob pensioners and kids around. You will be fine.
that they wouldn't have know they were on holiday :shrug:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here