Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southgate appointed England manager

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Not an exciting appointment, more a safe pair of hands - we hope...
Truth is, we have had exprienced British managers, expensive foreign coaches - nothing worked. Let go with the guy who coached the under 23's...... and let's be optimistic.....

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
If the rumours are to be believed we are paying him way too much. The amount of money in the game is obscene.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We never learn

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
The only person interviewed. How? Why? How many (successful) organisations do their job-filling this way? Still, let's hope he can unlock the door on that most redundant piece of furniture - England's trophy cabinet (if they haven't lost the key in the last half-century!) :nono:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hopefully the negativity about the process does not develop into negativity about the manager himself.

Good luck to him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've got to say, that was a shrewd investment the FA made hiring Graeme Le Saux to be part of the interview panel, made all the difference.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Southgate fits the FA's usual "inoffensive blazer" template, doesn't he.

I was quite surprised they appointed Allardyce in the first place, he was always going to be a bit too brash and opinionated for them, hence them ridiculously binning him off at the first opportunity. Absolute classic FA - a FUDGE after a SHAMBLES.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If the rumours are to be believed we are paying him way too much. The amount of money in the game is obscene.

Postman Pat was on £6 million
Roy the old boy was on £4 million
Big Sam £3 million
Gareth 'interesting' Southgate is on less than all of the above.

As much as I'm in team 'Meh' in relation to Southgate, let's just wait and see. It's not as if there were many better standout candidates that we've turned away.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Another appointment designed not to offend anybody rather than win anything. That said this group of players cannot be coached to win anything by God never mind some pillock from Creepy.

We need to go back to the beginning start trying to win the youth tournaments start picking and retaining the good young players with the U21's until we can develop a group that can compete at the international level.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Postman Pat was on £6 million
Roy the old boy was on £4 million
Big Sam £3 million
Gareth 'interesting' Southgate is on less than all of the above.

As much as I'm in team 'Meh' in relation to Southgate, let's just wait and see. It's not as if there were many better standout candidates that we've turned away.

You wonder how much of Southgate's 'bounce' was due to the fact he was simply normal as opposed to being a confused granddad like Woy or a tw*t like Big Sam.

I fear the players will feel under-whelmed at the appointment - if not now then certainly by the summer.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
More of the same - qualify comfortably for the World Cup in Russia but bow out in the last 16 to a young and talented Nigerian side with Kelechi Iheanacho, Alex Iwobi etc.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Pleased to see they appoint a manager, who in his only club position, took them from 8th in the Premiership to the Championship. 😴

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
On the radio 4 this morning some guy (I missed his name but he knew Southgate quite well) was saying that the FA had 'considered' others but knew Southgate inside out, and his brief would likely be do what you can with the group you have but nothing spectacular would be expected and getting out of the tournament finals groups would be classed as 'job done'. Anything else would be a 'bonus'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The thing is, we have a squad of England players who are in a dressing room and on a training ground with Conte, Klopp, Mourinho and Guardiola week in, week out. Then they rock up for England duty, and they're getting instructions from Gareth Southgate.

Its kind of like Leonardo DiCaprio working with Martin Scorcese and Ridley Scott, then coming over here and meeting Simon Fanshawe.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here