Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever bumped into an ex player on holiday?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
And if so...what did you do? Respect privacy or go all gooey eyed and turn into a blithering idiot at the beach bar?!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Me and a couple of mates bumped into Lee Steele in Las Vegas the day before the Hatton Vs Pacquiao fight. He was absolutely ****ed, we mentioned we were Brighton fans, had a brief chat and moved on.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Wasn't so much as a holiday, but I met Neil Smilie once, when he played for Gillingham.
They were invited to come over and play an RAF team over in RAF Bruggen, Germany.
Got to speak to him about football and the Albion, seemed very genuine to chat for a while.
Disclaimer: No gushing or gooey eyes were seen.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not a player, and not on holiday, but I did meet Des O'Connor in my local pub just recently.

In fact we struck up quite a conversation. He was telling me that, amongst many other things, that he and his wife had just moved into the village, and had bought a warden assisted apartment. At the end of the evening he said, why don't you and your wife come to dinner with us next weekend, my wife cooks a very good Peking Duck.

And then I woke up.

What I would like to know though, is why on earth did I dream about Des O'Connor? I can't even stand the man.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Edit: not a holiday.

Years ago i was at a Indian Restaurant in Guildford and a certain Ex Crystal Palaces Richard Shaw,who was playing for Coventry at the time was at a table opposite to us.

He was out with a lady friend and enjoying a quiet evening,or so he thought.

I was with several people and well let's just say it got rather embarrassing when a friend recognized him too and every 3 minutes shouted and pointed,whilst very half (almost fully) cut...."it's Richard shaw"

On and on this went on for what seemed like 10 minutes,finally i think a autograph and a chat helped calm things down,but the "it's Richard shaw" still went on periodically for the next hour or so.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Most of the Wimbledon first team, post season lads holiday in El Arenal (I think) in Majorca, tossers the lot

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm torn, not even told my wife! A genuine schoolboy hero of mine. Been bothering me for a day by the pool thinking I know that face and then it's hit me like one of his shots! Very small and quiet resort, don't want them to feel awkward if some fat forty something (that's me btw) comes running over and says " I had your poster on my bedroom wall....(silence)!" It is very exciting though recognising a hero from yesteryear!!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Gordon Smith I chatted to during the buffet before the Pre-season friendly between Rangers and Newcastle at Ibrox when CH was Manager at Newcastle .

He is quite boring and has no sense of humour. I was on crutches as I had broken my leg at the time and had a few beers. I jokingly said to him ''Pop out and do a pee for me will you. I don't think I will make it down the stairs on these crutches'' I thought it was quite funny but he looked at me like I had two heads and with total distain

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not a player, and not on holiday, but I did meet Des O'Connor in my local pub just recently.

In fact we struck up quite a conversation. He was telling me that, amongst many other things, that he and his wife had just moved into the village, and had bought a warden assisted apartment. At the end of the evening he said, why don't you and your wife come to dinner with us next weekend, my wife cooks a very good Peking Duck.

And then I woke up.

What I would like to know though, is why on earth did I dream about Des O'Connor? I can't even stand the man.

Brilliant!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The entire Brighton squad at Gatwick airport when I was going to Ibiza, and they were off to one of the Spanish pre-seasons.

Had a photo with Poyet, Tanno, Brez, Ankergren, who were all having a coffee. Most of the players were shopping but left them to it

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

And then I woke up.

Des O'Connor WAS a footballer in his youth and I believe he did have a trial with us or was on our books at some point. Although Wiki says Northampton Town so maybe not.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Gordon Smith I chatted to during the buffet before the Pre-season friendly between Rangers and Newcastle at Ibrox when CH was Manager at Newcastle .

He is quite boring and has no sense of humour. I was on crutches as I had broken my leg at the time and had a few beers. I jokingly said to him ''Pop out and do a pee for me will you. I don't think I will make it down the stairs on these crutches'' I thought it was quite funny but he looked at me like I had two heads and with total distain

LEAVE the GAGS to me in future

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Mike Trusson walking his dog on Hove beach about 8 or 9 years ago.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Gordon Smith I chatted to during the buffet before the Pre-season friendly between Rangers and Newcastle at Ibrox.

Yes, that's the risk isn't it? That they think ow please do me a favour mate and f yuck off I'm on me holidays and with my wife can't you see. And this player is in that league of legend, and you kinda don't want to spoil it if your misty eyed respect for the geezer that's decades old gets turned on its head in an instant. Hmmmm, tricky one this because if (if) we got chatting he would have so many stories I'm sure as all pros do. Had a mate who went on Tony Cascarinos stag do and Teddy Sheringham wasn't allowed in the club etc. My Mate had some really good stories about him, talk about a character.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Gordon Smith I chatted to during the buffet before the Pre-season friendly between Rangers and Newcastle at Ibrox.

Yes, that's the risk isn't it? That they think ow please do me a favour mate and f yuck off I'm on me holidays and with my wife can't you see. And this player is in that league of legend, and you kinda don't want to spoil it if your misty eyed respect for the geezer that's decades old gets turned on its head in an instant. Hmmmm, tricky one this because if (if) we got chatting he would have so many stories I'm sure as all pros do. Had a mate who went on Tony Cascarinos stag do and Teddy Sheringham wasn't allowed in the club etc. My Mate had some really good stories about him, talk about a character.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here