Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seagulls Direct and merchandising

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's your take on the club's retailing and merchandising?

Christmas is the main time I take a look at what's on offer and last year was the first time that I can recall where I just really couldn't find anything I wanted to buy anyone. I think others on here found the same.

Looking to take advantage of 'Blue Friday' I took to Seagulls Direct on Friday evening to see if I could find anything for the kids and, additionally, me for someone else to buy.

On the second score, I was disappointed. There are two Nike warm-up top type things that I liked and I'd have had either. No joy however, as most sizes were out of stock.

I found a few stocking filler things for the kids, which is an improvement on last year. Additionally, though, we ordered a onesie for my daughter in a size showing as in stock. I noted from an email yesterday that onesies were an even better offer for a couple of hours on 'Cyber Monday'. One of those things, I guess. At least we got our order in for what we wanted. Or so you'd think...

Today we got contacted by the club to say the onesie was out of stock in the size we had ordered and would we like a different size. Why would we? We ordered the size we wanted. I do wonder if the Cyber Monday onesie bargain hunters have snaffled them, and our order from Friday is being processed out of sequence. Annoying, regardless.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
They need Live Chat ... and I know just the guy to help them!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I bought a polo shirt on Saturday, a rare purchase from the shop as it is normally cheap tat, but I found a nice one on this occasion. Once home I tried it on and ended up looking like a sausage with the twists in all the wrong places! I bought an XL, not a bloody small! Going back this afternoon for an exchange/refund. Perhaps the club need a buyer on the ground in Asia for quality control purposes, now there's a plan.........

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They need Live Chat ... and I know just the guy to help them!

You're not thinking of following B&Q's example and employing a Grandfather to weigh in, are you?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Very similar experience to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]... would quite happily have spent £xx on Christmas tat for nephews/nieces but couldn't find anything half decent that was available :nono:

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Christmas is the main time I take a look at what's on offer and last year was the first time that I can recall where I just really couldn't find anything I wanted to buy anyone. I think others on here found the same.

Looking to take advantage of 'Blue Friday' I took to Seagulls Direct on Friday evening to see if I could find anything for the kids and, additionally, me for someone else to buy.

On the second score, I was disappointed. There are two Nike warm-up top type things that I liked and I'd have had either. No joy however, as most sizes were out of stock.

I found a few stocking filler things for the kids, which is an improvement on last year. Additionally, though, we ordered a onesie for my daughter in a size showing as in stock. I noted from an email yesterday that onesies were an even better offer for a couple of hours on 'Cyber Monday'. One of those things, I guess. At least we got our order in for what we wanted. Or so you'd think...

Today we got contacted by the club to say the onesie was out of stock in the size we had ordered and would we like a different size. Why would we? We ordered the size we wanted. I do wonder if the Cyber Monday onesie bargain hunters have snaffled them, and our order from Friday is being processed out of sequence. Annoying, regardless.

Yup... I have bought a few bits over Xmas over the last few years.. Same as you, not much to see and not all sizes available.. Oh well, maybe next year..

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I bought a couple of stocking filler bits for the kids in there yesterday. But it is mainly complete shite (not sure that would be hugely different from any other club shop to be fair). And what occurred to me is the huge overhead of having four bored looking members of staff 7 days a week standing around with no customers in that huge shop.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I find it mostly disappointing and the things that are half nice are stupidly over priced. Its a shame as I would normally spend a fair bit on there but this year am just buying my son his shirt for his birthday and that is it.

Such a shame as I have said before, the local club at Reading have all of the old stock still there so you can pick up lasts seasons training jacket for £7.50 if you want one and can't afford £40. Leads to them selling more in my opinion

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Was going to buy a kit for each of my young nephews for christmas, but out of stock. How the hell can you be out of stock of kids shirts at Christmas.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I must admit to not having had a look this year, as previous years have been very disappointing. With the iron on sponsor panel as well, I just really can't be bothered.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think it's been poor ever since Nike took over. I've also been trying to buy a round club crest car sticker for my new car since I bought it in May. I've asked in the shop about 8 times and they haven't had one :angry:

Would also have loved to get some baby gear for my daughter but a plain white onesie with a small crest on it just isn't the ticket. If they had full-on blue and white striped ones, or ones covered in little seagulls or anything like that, I'd have been sold.

But let's be really restrictive on ticket swapping and put up huge banners outside the ground, as that'll help us make money, eh?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I bought a hoodie and Christmas jumper, we have the awkward Christmas jumper day at work and usually I go in something as tasteless as possible, this year though it's BHA BHA BHA

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I think it's been poor ever since Nike took over. I've also been trying to buy a round club crest car sticker for my new car since I bought it in May. I've asked in the shop about 8 times and they haven't had one :angry:

Would also have loved to get some baby gear for my daughter but a plain white onesie with a small crest on it just isn't the ticket. If they had full-on blue and white striped ones, or ones covered in little seagulls or anything like that, I'd have been sold.

But let's be really restrictive on ticket swapping and put up huge banners outside the ground, as that'll help us make money, eh?

I was thinking the same, about Nike but I guess that is their business model and the club knew that when they signed up.

One thing I have noticed from having a child that supports us but follows his local side is that there is clearly one company that makes an absolute killing from making football club crap and slapping a badge on it. Last year for definite (probably this as well but I haven't checked) pretty much everything was the same just with a different badge slapped on. Christmas jumpers, garden gnomes, teddies, exact same style pencil cases, pens, non Nike clothing. All exactly the same yet with a different crest.

If i buy something from my club it is because I am buying something that is unique to us.

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester

Exactly the same happened to me, I ordered the 3rd kit in XS 6-8yrs for my nephew, was in stock when I bought it on Friday but today I got the email saying that they were out of stock and would I like a different size? 10-12yrs...... erm, no. The size isnt even close and a 1p-12yrs shirt would look more like a dress and would probably touch the floor on him. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Shirley they need an automated stock system? ??? ???

explymouthnige

explymouthnige
Jul 5, 2009
Upper Beeding
I'm a bit of a funny shape, XL to XXL normal sizes - nothing in the club shop fits me!! There are a lot of bigger people than me out there, so they are losing a fortune.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I know what you mean, but Nike aren't responsible for all the clothing that the shop sells. I have had a problem with polo shirts/tee shirts etc being too short, (although not replica shirts), a result of me having a long body and little legs I guess.

Either way they leave my tummy button display. Not a pretty sight.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm a bit of a funny shape, XL to XXL normal sizes - nothing in the club shop fits me!! There are a lot of bigger people than me out there, so they are losing a fortune.

Me too. I remember the replica shirts that Errea used to sell, right up to a 5XL.

If you are anything like average build, wearing the largest size you would resemble a tent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here