Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus back in management

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Appointed head coach of Shanghai Shenhua, alongside Tano, English analyst Charlie Oatway (a paradox if ever I've heard one) and Andy Beasley.

A dramatic fall from grace in just four short years. With his petulance and overinflated ego he can only have himself to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
That club is minted iirc, he'll certainly be able to build a high ceiling with their budget.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Do they ever settle down in one country? Must play hell with the mortgage!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He'll be on an absolute fortune there. No doubt he's done very nicely out of his various other sackings too. Must be ROLLING in it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Do they ever settle down in one country? Must play hell with the mortgage!

Maybe they'll all share a big house. Gus & Charlie sharing a double bed, like Bert & Ernie.

Can't wait to hear what the Chinese make of Oatway. I've got visions of Gazza belching down microphones, or saying "**** off Norway" when asked for a comment.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
That is utter madness. To either be away from or constantly move the family to that extent is incredible.

He has rather plummeted hasn't he? What surprises me is that Tano and Charlie may actually be very good yet haven't broken away from him and instead follow his ego around the world.

He may very well do well there with an insanely large budget but I cannot see sides in the big leagues touching him from there and would most likely need to go from there to a mid table team and then try and rebuild. Maybe he just wants the pay cheque?

Indian Premier League next?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That is utter madness. To either be away from or constantly move the family to that extent is incredible.

He has rather plummeted hasn't he? What surprises me is that Tano and Charlie may actually be very good yet haven't broken away from him and instead follow his ego around the world.

He may very well do well there with an insanely large budget but I cannot see sides in the big leagues touching him from there and would most likely need to go from there to a mid table team and then try and rebuild. Maybe he just wants the pay cheque?

Don't forget Thailand, Malaysia & the A League :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Bingo.
With the money they throw around in that league, just a couple of seasons out there and he's probably made for life. Its a complete backwater, nobody in Europe will ever give a toss about the Chinese PL, but he'll come back with a lorryload of cash regardless.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Does anyone have any idea whether Oatway or Taricco are actually considered good at their jobs anywhere other than the mind of Gus?

It's actually admirable loyalty that he brings them with him wherever he goes (and that they follow) but I'm always curious as to whether they're either being held back from something better by staying with him.

Of course, the other side to that coin is that without Gus they could both be left on the scrapheap...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Arsene Wenger managed Grampas 8 out that way before Arsenal and he hasnt done bad since then so obviously chairmen do look at the people at those clubs. It is not such a backwater as many Asians are buying clubs so an opportunity will arise in this country if they do well in China.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So basically them, three get paid to travel the world staying at each port of call for two or three months before moving onto the next destination

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Does anyone have any idea whether Oatway or Taricco are actually considered good at their jobs anywhere other than the mind of Gus?

It's actually admirable loyalty that he brings them with him wherever he goes (and that they follow) but I'm always curious as to whether they're either being held back from something better by staying with him.

Of course, the other side to that coin is that without Gus they could both be left on the scrapheap...

Del, Rodney and Uncle Albert travel the world

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Arsene Wenger managed Grampas 8 out that way before Arsenal and he hasnt done bad since then so obviously chairmen do look at the people at those clubs. It is not such a backwater as many Asians are buying clubs so an opportunity will arise in this country if they do well in China.

Presumably they're the Grampus 8 senior team?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maybe they'll all share a big house. Gus & Charlie sharing a double bed, like Bert & Ernie.

Can't wait to hear what the Chinese make of Oatway. I've got visions of Gazza belching down microphones, or saying "**** off Norway" when asked for a comment.

Or like Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. Now Gus and Charlie really would make the ODD Coujple.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good Old Shanghai By The Sea.

How high is their ceiling ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here