Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we need to pay charity?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Every year I fork out a lot of money to charity, mainly animal welfare foundations. But, as a country, should we be having to pay towards charity? Or should the state be funding it? It always seems to be the working class that pay that bit extra, on top of our taxes and VAT. Is it time that we said enough and asked the Government to actually fund charity? After all, it is our money.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Every year I fork out a lot of money to charity, mainly animal welfare foundations. But, as a country, should we be having to pay towards charity? Or should the state be funding it? It always seems to be the working class that pay that bit extra, on top of our taxes and VAT. Is it time that we said enough and asked the Government to actually fund charity? After all, it is our money.

It's not charity then, is it?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Anything else you would like the state to fund ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Anything else you would like the state to fund ?

It is our money, we pay taxes and are still asked to shelve out our hard earnt. Are we not a forward enough thinking country to do away with having to rely on people's good will? Things like cancer shouldn't be a charity donation, it should be a right to care.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

!
Interesting subject.
Our high street is full of charity outlets, we give our unwanted (crap) goods to one in particular, whilst they get the tax off option also.
The lottery as a whole, I guess is always giving to good causes.
I suppose some off the tax payed to government, could be offset for 'charity' purposes?
But then again I would rather it go to improving the NHS and our bloody roads.:)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is our money, we pay taxes and are still asked to shelve out our hard earnt. Are we not a forward enough thinking country to do away with having to rely on people's good will? Things like cancer shouldn't be a charity donation, it should be a right to care.

and just look how successful government funded and managed social care is. I wouldn't want that for a family member or friend with cancer.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There is often a distinct advantage to not being government funded in terms of independence, flexibility, local focus, increased levels of volunteering etc...

So we don't have a right to care then? It has to be charity handouts and not something the state should provide, despite it being us that pays for the state?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Charity should be a vehicle for helping out the poor rather than welfare.

If people were taxed a hell of a lot less they would have more disposable income to send charities way. Or conversely more money to spend on other items which would stimulate the economy and create more jobs for people so they didn't need to rely on charity or welfare.

Welfare should only be funded by the state when it's for the poorest of the poor. Less tax, less middle class welfare.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
There is massive Cancer research and treatment funding via the NHS,.... not sure what you are driving at? Do you think that the NHS just sits back and lets the various charities fund ALL research? Obviously the extra funds raised by the many charities is very very useful.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

I find it outrageous that Emergency Air Ambulances are entirely charity funded. That's one area where the government should be funding in my opinion.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I find it outrageous that Emergency Air Ambulances are entirely charity funded. That's one area where the government should be funding in my opinion.

I pay towards the Surrey/Sussex Air Ambulance, a worthy cause that is outrageously not funded by the state.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There is massive Cancer research and treatment funding via the NHS,.... not sure what you are driving at? Do you think that the NHS just sits back and lets the various charities fund ALL research? Obviously the extra funds raised by the many charities is very very useful.

Excuse me if I'm wrong but I don't think you understand what I am getting at. I would rather pay 1p in the £ more to rid us of having to beg for charity and have it state funded than having to keep giving when the state has no interest in looking after the welfare of those afflicted by whatever harm has come to them.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
So we don't have a right to care then? It has to be charity handouts and not something the state should provide, despite it being us that pays for the state?

Yes you have a right to care for non-state funded things if you wish to. You clearly demonstrate your caring by giving to charities. Well done you.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

I pay towards the Surrey/Sussex Air Ambulance, a worthy cause that is outrageously not funded by the state.

In Australia /New Zealand the Air Ambulance service is also not for profit and is sponsored by the countries main bank [WestPac]. Could you ever see Barclays making a donation to this countries Air Ambulance? Nope me neither.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Excuse me if I'm wrong but I don't think you understand what I am getting at. I would rather pay 1p in the £ more to rid us of having to beg for charity and have it state funded than having to keep giving when the state has no interest in looking after the welfare of those afflicted by whatever harm has come to them.

..and since when has paying more tax gone to where you want it to go to, rather than say where I want it to go to. Consider voluntarily taxing yourself an extra penny and donating to the charity of your choice.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yes you have a right to care for non-state funded things if you wish to. You clearly demonstrate your caring by giving to charities. Well done you.

But I don't want to donate to charities, I want my state to look after us. The whole idea of charity in a western democracy just fills me with dread. We should be looked after, we pay enough into the system, not go with a begging bowl and ask for more.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
..and since when has paying more tax gone to where you want it to go to, rather than say where I want it to go to. Consider voluntarily taxing yourself an extra penny and donating to the charity of your choice.

Well, I do, but that's not the point of the subject.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here