Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - 2016 Shootout

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
50 minutes to the off. Day/night race with Nico Rosberg 12 points in front of Lewis Hamilton.

Can Rosberg slip down the order through being cautious or will he make a race of it?

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Silly comments about wanting Tossberg taken out early. It'd be much better if he's leading into the final lap and then funks it up all by himself.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Classy Lewis, classy

Hamilton.PNG

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The Mercedes is miles better than the other cars isn't it? Even with Lewis going as slow as he could the other cars couldn't keep up. I hope next year there's some competition.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bloody delighted Hamilton ignored team orders :)

Agree. Hamilton is, in my opinion, a far superior driver than Rosberg and if he had just one less technical failures he would be the champion and I suspect Rosberg is well aware of that. Put any other driver in Rosberg's seat and the outcome would probably have been the same. What I suspect most would like to see is Hamilton and Verstappen in the same team. That would be interesting.

Disappointed with the criticism from DC and MW after the race. Hamilton was asked a deliberately provocative question, ie 'on this occasion to you agree the better man won' so what is he supposed to say with the luck he has had.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It's exactly that attitude that has led to him becoming a three time Champion. Just like Seb Coe saying he'd be chucking his Olympic Silver in a drawer. It may not be classy, classy people tend to end up losing.

Anyway WTF was Paddy Lowe getting involved for? Mercedes had won Constructor and World Championship before this race. Now THAT showed another lack of class. I'd love for Hamilton to go to Red Bull or Ferrari next season. He has had shoddy treatment from Mercedes on a number of occasions this season. Shame it won't happen

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
It's exactly that attitude that has led to him become a three time Champion. Just like Seb Coe saying he'd be chucking his Olympic Silver in a drawer. It may not be classy, classy people tend to end up losing.

Anyway WTF was Paddy Lowe getting involved for? Mercedes had won Constructor and World Championship before this race. Now THAT showed another lack of class. I'd love for Hamilton to go to Red Bull or Ferrari next season. He has had shoddy treatment from Mercedes on a number of occasions this season. Shame it won't happen

Some differing views from within the Mercedes team. Lowe's involvement was unnecessary, Lauda seemed to be unhappy but diplomatically saying that they would look at it later and Toto Wolff (as usual) being the voice of reason explaining the views but also showing appreciation of the fact that it is racing and he can understand why Lewis did what he did.

Lewis won 10 races, Rosberg 9.

I do not blame him or even think any less of him for that radio message, he essentially told Paddy Lowe to f@k off. Mercedes had already won the constructor championship ages ago, Lowe's message was a begging letter to Lewis to let the Finnish/German spoilt brat win so the main sponsor had their **** material.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Agree. Hamilton is, in my opinion, a far superior driver than Rosberg and if he had just one less technical failures he would be the champion and I suspect Rosberg is well aware of that. Put any other driver in Rosberg's seat and the outcome would probably have been the same. What I suspect most would like to see is Hamilton and Verstappen in the same team. That would be interesting.

Disappointed with the criticism from DC and MW after the race. Hamilton was asked a deliberately provocative question, ie 'on this occasion to you agree the better man won' so what is he supposed to say with the luck he has had.

I don't think saying 'one less technical failure' and Hamilton would be champion is a valid argument. In the last few races Rosberg looked to be playing it safe, since he knew all he had to do was finish 2nd in most of the races. If he had to do something else, he may well have done it. He's shown balls of steel to not crumble under the pressure, and the overtake on Verstappen today was fantastic. There have been races this season where Hamilton has had no answer to Rosberg. Carrying on from last season Rosberg had won 7 races in a row at the start of the season. Rosberg had more fastest laps than Hamilton this season. Hamilton obviously wasn't helped by the reliability issues, but nor was he helped by some poor starts which were his own fault.

Rosberg has been playing defence the last few races, trying to not concede any goals. If Hamilton had scored, Rosberg would have gone on the attack.

Remember, it's not all been plane sailing for Rosberg this season either: collision in Austria with Hamilton which demoted him to 4th in the race and Hamilton won, gearbox failure, radio penalty

You have to applaud the fight and motivation Rosberg has shown this season after losing out to Hamilton in the previous two seasons.

Rosberg did what he had to do and is the worthy champion in my opinion. A much nicer guy too. The lack of respect being shown to him by large quarters of the media and fans is not nice to see. I know Hamilton is British, but it would be nice to see a bit of impartiality in the reporting, especially on the BBC website.

Rosberg was extremely gracious in defeat to Hamilton on the last day of the 2014 season when he had an engine problem. He knew he had lost, his team told him to retire, but he wanted to cross the line regardless and finish the race. Afterwards, he showed great sportsmanship towards Hamilton. Hamilton could learn a few things from Rosberg in this respect.

Hamilton, on the other hand, multiple times after the race, without being prompted, said he was only where he was (i.e. not first) simply because of reliability issues. What a total lack of class. Rosberg did not bite or comment, displaying the sort of trait which is why I was supporting Rosberg today and I'm glad he won. Today is a win for sportsmanship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here