Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock- our most improved player this season?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Think Sammy B's performances have been much improved so far this season...would never have imagined him scoring a goal like he did yesterday in the past. He's always been a hard worker and had good movement but seems to have added something different to his game, maybe training with Murray has helped him be more clinical? Involved heavily in all of our last 3 goals, with Knocky still off colour his contribution has been crucial in the past two games, especially yesterday!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume this is his longest run of consecutive first team games, while at the Albion.

The team has been bloody lucky to have him fit, it would be hard to think they could be playing for top spot, on Friday, without him.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
agree, but also think the chances he misses far outweigh the ones he takes....

He will never be the best striker in this division but if he carries on at the rate he's going he should be aiming for 12/13 goals in the league not to mention several assists. Think that's far more than most could have realistically expected before the season began.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
agree, but also think the chances he misses far outweigh the ones he takes....

So another,possibly under rated Ashley Barnes? Now how many would have Ashley back.......

A big part of Sams game is "off the ball" movement.... it can go unnoticed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He is the only striker who seems able to defend from the front. When he gets hauled off its normally backs to the wall defending

Agreed. He is a right pain the arse for defenders - always chasing them down. He's got terrific stamina. If you watch him closely he's got a bit of a niggly streak as well - in their faces, delaying free kicks etc. Love it.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
If his finishing was better he would be a quality player for a mid-table Prem side IMO, though he will still do a valuable job for us if we do go up. I rate him really highly, very intelligent footballer with a good attitude and great work rate. He is definitely benefitting from having a player of Murray's stature alongside him; can't argue with 5 goals and 3 assists in 10 starts.

Massive surprise that Ninja Elephant hasn't been on to give him credit for his performance yesterday. I'm sure he will come back as soon as Baldock doesn't score in a game to tell us all how ****ing terrible he is.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's the nature of his goals too,important goals.....is he this seasons Zamora?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The manager has a system and Baldock fits that system, personally not my type of striker as he does not score enough. However, Brighton sit second & have a massive goal difference which shows CHs understanding of the game is a lot better than mine.he likes to prevent goals first and I guess it is argued that SBs work is a good contribution to that.

el punal

Think Sammy B's performances have been much improved so far this season...would never have imagined him scoring a goal like he did yesterday in the past. He's always been a hard worker and had good movement but seems to have added something different to his game, maybe training with Murray has helped him be more clinical? Involved heavily in all of our last 3 goals, with Knocky still off colour his contribution has been crucial in the past two games, especially yesterday!

Knocky crossed the ball that led to the goal don't forget! :thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think he is a shade quicker this season, maybe the extra summer training. Still a shade too slow to outrun most Championship defenders (Bristol City excluded) off the shoulder (Vardy-style), and has not got that trap and half-turn and shoot like Peter Ward used to have. He might be capable of improvement.

Started of being completely underwhelmed by his lack of speed and ability. I'm now starting to think he better than most of the opposition (like Aluko), not so sure he can operate as target striker, and I think he should go wide sometimes as he is not a bad crosser of the ball. Baldock can go wide and Knocky cut inside, transpose their roles of Baldock plays second striker? . Also, no need to bring on a winger as sub if Baldock goes wide (if he is not tired will all his running).

One of his best moves was losing his defenders when Skalak passed to Murray instead for the second goal v Norwich.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The manager has a system and Baldock fits that system, personally not my type of striker as he does not score enough. However, Brighton sit second & have a massive goal difference which shows CHs understanding of the game is a lot better than mine.he likes to prevent goals first and I guess it is argued that SBs work is a good contribution to that.

You make a fair point and i wonder (perhaps somebody might know) just how many Albion promotions over the years have seen us field a predominately Attacking side VERSUS a mainly defensive side..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here