Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst goal kick of all time?

I remember seeing us score from a goal kick like that, way back when God's dog was a puppy.

We were away at the Shay in Halifax, I'm guessing mid 70's. The ball had gone out for a goal kick and the right back had crossed the goal line. As he returned and started to trot upfield the keeper passed to him (these were the days when keepers could pass to defenders who would give it straight back so they could drop kick it).

Unfortunately the right back wasn't concentrating and the ball went behind him and out for a corner, and their keeper then ran out and had a massive argument with said right back with much pushing of chests.

Whereupon our left winger ran up, took a quick corner into the six yard box where one of our forwards put the ball into the empty net.

Did we laugh! Even my Halifax supporting mate standing next to me couldn't stop laughing.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Am I right in thinking had he shanked it into the goal it wouldn't count and would only be a retake?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It's cock-ups like that which make you question if there was some underhand betting going on off-the-pitch.

And just to clarify that you can score a goal in the opponents' net, but you can't score an own goal direct from a GK. The ball is not in play until it leaves the penalty area; if it goes into the keeper's net, a corner is given.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If the ref gave a corner then he'd have to give a goal shirley?

It's all about leaving the pen area - that Liverpool one was only just a corner although the vid in the link does t show it actually leaving play it was just outside the pen area.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Initially i am thinking is it that windy,have watch a couple of times and can only liken it to me once pouring cold water from the kettle into my coffee in the morning.....an oddity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here