Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton join race for Sunderland and Man United forward target, agent comments

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Given our form with young strikers, that will be Development squad then Burgess Hill or Eastbourne via a couple of loan spells! Who knows, though - he might be really good, although the article looks a bit speculative to me. "Agent comments" says a lot, IMHO!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I honestly think that, if your ambition is to play first team football for Brighton and Hove Albion, there is little to no point in joining the Development Squad.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I honestly think that, if your ambition is to play first team football for Brighton and Hove Albion, there is little to no point in joining the Development Squad.

Dunk? Goldson? March?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
None of the other Scandinavian kids seem to have done very well - yet.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Dunk? Goldson? March?

Dunk came through long before the Development Squad, he made his debut under Gus in 2009. Goldson played a full season for Shrewsbury and only got his chance because of the injuries and Solly March was brought back to the club from Lewes so I wouldn't count him either. There's also an argument that, like Ince, he only got to play under Oscar because there was nobody else available. Are we happy that young players only get a chance if there is literally no other option?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting playing Bjordal instead of Knockaert in the hope he might be a good player, but I do question the wisdom of players joining our Development Squad knowing it will take a set of bizarre circumstances for them to end up in the team. Obviously they'll be making a nice living, good money coming in, training in a quality environment and with good players but from a career perspective they have to move elsewhere if they want to be a player.

Amended for you.

I don't think you can be so specific, but the strikers brought into the Development Squad have been pointless.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think you can be so specific, but the strikers brought into the Development Squad have been pointless.
I think we can be that specific. Several of our young defenders featured in our League Cup team, and Hunt, for example, has been on the bench a few times this season. Strikers? Pft..............

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

That's largely down to the success of recent recruitment in and around the first team. If a truly good enough youngster comes along they will be given an opportunity in the first team like the following were

Andy Carroll age 17 I think it was at Newcastle

Nathan Redmond age 16 at Birmingham

Josh and Jacob Murphy age 18 at Norwich

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dunk came through long before the Development Squad, he made his debut under Gus in 2009. Goldson played a full season for Shrewsbury and only got his chance because of the injuries and Solly March was brought back to the club from Lewes so I wouldn't count him either. There's also an argument that, like Ince, he only got to play under Oscar because there was nobody else available. Are we happy that young players only get a chance if there is literally no other option?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting playing Bjordal instead of Knockaert in the hope he might be a good player, but I do question the wisdom of players joining our Development Squad knowing it will take a set of bizarre circumstances for them to end up in the team. Obviously they'll be making a nice living, good money coming in, training in a quality environment and with good players but from a career perspective they have to move elsewhere if they want to be a player.

The Development squad as such has only been in existence for a few years when the training ground opened. We had a youth system before that, and brought quite a few players through to the first team. I agree they've mainly been defenders, but it's harder for the youngsters to break through now we're a higher Championship club, but our youth system has produced Premier League class players. Dunk, Cook Elphick to name those, but there are also several playing in League clubs.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The Development squad as such has only been in existence for a few years when the training ground opened. We had a youth system before that, and brought quite a few players through to the first team. I agree they've mainly been defenders, but it's harder for the youngsters to break through now we're a higher Championship club, but our youth system has produced Premier League class players. Dunk, Cook Elphick to name those, but there are also several playing in League clubs.
Our youth system has had successes, no doubt about it. But in terms of players brought in and then developed, I don't think we can say it's been a success for us. For Luton this season, certainly. And there's something to be said for producing players good enough for other teams at a lower level. But in terms of producing for our first team, you're better off elsewhere until you can command a first team place.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Where is our development scrap yard anyway? Is it next to the elephants graveyard? The bones of the Fox brothers, Bergkamps nephew once removed or whatever and the Madrid-kid amongst hundreds of others down the decades, they must be bleached white by now. Wonder if Franc Massimo (?) is still 'developing' or has he too finally been declared as 'missing'? Honestly, I'm surprised those that go into our DS don't pop up on a 'have you seen' Crimewatch appeal a couple of years later. We're going to get rumbled sooner rather than later, the authorities will be onto us, can't keep making all these youngsters disappear without trace.

Brighton & HA development team...where talent goes to die :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Let's be clear: our record in bringing on talent whatever name you want to call it has been dire since, cricky, forever! 2 of those you name had to go elsewhere whilst the majority of the 'Wilkins Wonders' were akin to an army using cooks, clerks and drivers in a desperate attempt to plug gaps in the line because we'd run out of regulars. Nah, if you sign for the DS you may as well enquiry about the train times to Eastbourne and Hastings. I say that metaphorically, obviously we all know Southern won't get you there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here