Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Abuse Scandal - 83 suspects, 98 clubs and counting...

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Some incredibly brave people with heartbreaking accounts being given. My heart goes out to them and my hat is doffed to them :clap2:

I hope and pray that those responsible are brought to book

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
As a coach of an u10s team I suspect and worry the problem could well be far worse at grass roots level :down::down::down:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Far less regulated in years gone by surely ?....Tip of the iceberg i think

I hope so, however as you and I know Bennell would of probably cleared any DBS clearance anyway even in todays environment, assuming he hadnt been prosecuted for his previous abuse.

My point was that although I suspect there will be more to come out, my own personal experience going through youth level to senior level was a very enjoyable and safe experience.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Certainly these days you would hope less goes on, but you are correct the DBS is effectively worthless and only means they have not been caught yet.....

I can't and don't take a boy to a game or training now without a text or email from the parent to give me some fall back in case of accusation.. word of mouth means nothing and that's even if my boy is also in the car with me.

This is what they advise you to do on the Level 1 coaching badge, 1 whole day of the 4 sundays is dedicated to child protection.

Its a sad world at times.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Certainly these days you would hope less goes on, but you are correct the DBS is effectively worthless and only means they have not been caught yet.....

I can't and don't take a boy to a game or training now without a text or email from the parent to give me some fall back in case of accusation.. word of mouth means nothing and that's even if my boy is also in the car with me.

Its a sad world at times.

Its a small price to pay, reasonable youth coaches like you (I can only assume as I dont know you ;) ) are able to function within these appropriate guidelines without too much disruption.

Jul 7, 2003
As a coach of an u10s team I suspect and worry the problem could well be far worse at grass roots level :down::down::down:

Hopefully these days the child protection measures that have been put in place will reduce the risk of such a thing happening again.

When I was coaching if one of the young kids needed to go off to the toilet, we always made sure that there were two coaches / assistants with the child. If a second coach / assistant was not available then we always asked a parent to accompany us. Unfortunately, as the kids get older, the parents and helpers start to disappear and the coaches often end up looking after groups of kids on their own which makes it harder to enforce such measures.

You would hope all clubs follow this

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I hope so, however as you and I know Bennell would of probably cleared any DBS clearance anyway even in todays environment, assuming he hadnt been prosecuted for his previous abuse.

My point was that although I suspect there will be more to come out, my own personal experience going through youth level to senior level was a very enjoyable and safe experience.

That would apply to the experience of the vast majority, of course. I have absolutely no sympathy with those who abused children, and hope that they get all that they deserve. I was a football coach and teacher for many years, but, seeing what has happened in schools, once the zealots get hold of this, I fear that youth coaches, professional clubs etc will have all sorts of totally-over-the-top regulations forced upon them, whereby they have to pass ever complicated "audits" and adhere to 30 page advisory documents. I was at a school the other day, and after being allowed to drive in, once the gate had been finally opened, I had to pass through three electronic doors in the space of 5 yards. And then, if you question the necessity of such measures, there is always the good old riposte, that you are not taking safeguarding seriously. football clubs - you are next in line.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
As other posters have intimated, only those who know they are going to pass a crb/crc check will apply for one. It's not until someone is "caught" that they will appear on a register. Having been involved in youth football for 30 years, it is the biggest concern any of us has, because the clubs are ultimately responsible to the kids and their parents. It is nothing new - there were pervs around when I was young in the 50s and 60s - you just hope that more people are aware these days and you pray that parents talk to their kids about it in order that it gets reported appropriately. Kids need to understand that they need to report this stuff to stop it happening to others. The mechanisms are in place to deal with it once reported.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here