Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Choppy Seas?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was in the car yesterday for a family outing (bloody inset days) and we therefore had Heart on the radio. The DJ was talking to a sailor and asked where he was. The sailor replied that he was on the gang plank of HMS Victory and without any hint of sarcasm in the DJ's voice he stated that he hoped it wasn't too choppy. Now,he may have been being sarcastic but there was absolutely no follow up to suggest he was which then leaves the question of ignorance. I suggested to Mrs D that surely every adult knows that HMS Victory is in dry dock and is a museum and she defended the DJ (although she was fully aware of the status of the ship).

So, is it common knowledge amongst adults that the flagship of Nelson's fleet is in dry dock?

I was giving a driving lesson on the 21st October and mentioned to a pupil that it was Trafalgar day and her comment was whether it had something to do with the place in London. I pointed out that it was more to do with a battle during which the guy at the top of the column lost his life! I can just about forgive a 17 year old for lack of historical knowledge but am I being too harsh in expecting a broadcaster to know a bit about the Victory?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There's a big brass plaque on the deck which is engraved " Here Nelson Fell." I thought, " I'm not surprised, it's a really obvious trip hazard."

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A few years ago Southern telly (the ITVone) evening show, had a report that the Victory was going to be refloated as the centrepiece of a tall ships race.
It was 1st April, but still people fell for it.

I think the Victory has been in almost permanent refit for the last forty years

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Yes.

The other point is, even if the caller had mentioned a modern sea going ship, the fact that he was on the gangplank, meant it was still in harbour.

Pedantry aside, not necessarily so, he may have been naughty and was being punished by having to walk the gangplank.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
A few years ago Southern telly (the ITVone) evening show, had a report that the Victory was going to be refloated as the centrepiece of a tall ships race.
It was 1st April, but still people fell for it.

I think the Victory has been in almost permanent refit for the last forty years

It was 1985, I know this as I was serving on the Victory at the time. It was all very tinpot but a number of people fell for it .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here