Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3rd Test: India v England at Mohali on Nov 26-30, 2016

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not happening until tomorrow but thought I would start the thread as there are clearly a few things England need to sort after their stuffing earlier in the week.

The Duckett Experiment, Ansari and Broad's injury all need addressing?

Not sure what the answers are to any of these issues but I'm sure the collective wisdom of NSC will know.

Personally I just hope Captain Cook stops being such a useless Tosser and we get to bat first.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I think your point about the toss is spot-on. I've got a feeling that this hallowed convention is going to come under more and more scrutiny in Test cricket in terms of the advantage that it confers to the home side (not just in the sub-continent).. I think that the policy introduced by the ECB in country cricket to give the visiting/away team's captain the choice has been generally well received. I certainly wouldn't proclaim any expertise but suspect that this might be looked at for Test cricket at some point? In the meantime we need Cook to do the business with the coin as much as with the bat!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think your point about the toss is spot-on. I've got a feeling that this hallowed convention is going to come under more and more scrutiny in Test cricket in terms of the advantage that it confers to the home side (not just in the sub-continent).. I think that the policy introduced by the ECB in country cricket to give the visiting/away team's captain the choice has been generally well received. I certainly wouldn't proclaim any expertise but suspect that this might be looked at for Test cricket at some point? In the meantime we need Cook to do the business with the coin as much as with the bat!

Totally agree - you can't have a sporting event effectively decided on the toss of a coin, which it often is in cricket, both at home and more so in Asia, where batting 1st is a massive advantage

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

I tend to agree. The authorities make such a fuss about the colour of the ball, flood lights etc.. yet the game can actually be decided on the toss of a coin

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The other side of the coin :smile:, is that if the home team knows who will bat first in advance they can prepare the pitch to suit.

Mohali pitch has been produced dry and cracked and not it's normal seamer. As said Buttler at 7, Ali 4, Bairstow, Stokes6.
Woakes for Broad.
Looks like Batty may get nod ahead of Finn or Ball.
Worst scenario here will be to win the toss and lose...........

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Not sure about the County Championship toss rules applied to Test Cricket. It is fine in English conditions, but remember the away captain can only opt to bowl. If he wants to bat first then the toss still goes ahead. So that would not actually make any difference in India. I think they need to alternate who gets to choose in a series. Five Tests two goes each with the final one being decided by a toss. That would be fairer, and still result in the more even pitches that are required for interesting Test match cricket.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm not sure why Butler hasn't been in the team from the start of the series. Yes he's not a conventional player, but he can play!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Morning. Cook had a good toss and now winding up the slips with a lovely ball at catchable height fizzing to the boundary.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Raj bureaucracy working here. Weather cool but English fans given an a/c lounge. They want some sun and heat in this empty ground. Queues outside of the empty ground but no tickets for sale here. You have to use the outlets back in town.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Early moisture should be gone by the time you lot get up after lunch. Fingers crossed the openers get through this difficult session.
This and a fast outfield giving us 32-0

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ball flies off pitch, balloons of glove/bat . Hameed c Jadeja b Umesh 9.
Fielders spend minutes looking at pitch to locate the area in question.
Ashwin drops a sitter from Cook.
Tense cricket 36-1.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ashwin falls over the ball and let's it go to the boundary. He's doing a good Monty Panesaar impression at the moment.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Put the coffee on and 51-3. Root gone somehow and Cook caught of Ashwin's first ball as I renter the room. Pressure on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's the Monty Panesaar morning. Root and Cook dismissed from shots Monty wouldn't even play.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Moheen has picked the off spin and smacked a 4 and 6 in two balls.
Trivia. In his Test career he has now batted at all positions from 1-9, except no.3. His batting position for Worcestershire.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry for that. 87-4. Terrible session. England putting themselves in a position to having almost no chance of winning the series. All in less than 2 hours. We won the toss FFS. Bat out he green moist pitch for a few hours then pile on the runs. Don't give 3 wickets away.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mohali pitch has been produced dry and cracked and not it's normal seamer. As said Buttler at 7, Ali 4, Bairstow, Stokes6.
Woakes for Broad.
Looks like Batty may get nod ahead of Finn or Ball.
Worst scenario here will be to win the toss and lose...........

I'll get my coat........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here