Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Quick cricket quiz for you

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In 2000, Wisden asked 100 journalists/former cricketers, worldwide, to pick up their best five players of the 20th century.

For a completely trivial reason, I was looking this up this morning and saw which England players had been mentioned.

So, your starter for 10 (and without looking it up), who were the top five English players on the list? (there were a clear five, no tie break to separate any of them). Remember, they all had to have played between 1900 and 1999

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Botham, Sutcliffe, Hobbs, Trueman, Compton.

Now I can look it up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Prince M is close: he has three right

EDIT: Sorry, two right. BL has two right also

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Having put my cards on the table, I Googled the answer. I'll be impressed if anyone gets No.4 on the list.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thought Jim Laker would be in with a shout. If we're being nudged towards the earlier part of the century, Wilfred Rhodes, perhaps? C.B, Fry not a bad shout either.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would ruin the quiz a tad !
Some people have managed to successfully google the answer - I tried, but obviously didn't get my search parameters right. As I've already taken part, I was asking another person who has already competed - and successfully googled the answer - to give me as link. Wouldn't ruin the quiz; obviously it would mean people who wanted to cheat can look up the answer, but equally obviously some are more adept at googling than I, which must 'spoil' the quiz as much as a link.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not Fry or Rhodes but that's getting close to the right era

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I got one the number 4, my Dad's hero, and surprised that no one has named the fifth. Can't believe I never got him.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Would W. G. Grace sneak in?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Hobbs, Hammond, Compton, Hutton, Barnes

PS. I haven't cheated

Last edited:

Paying the bills