Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

City of Brighton & Hove In East Sussex?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Further the the which county threads etc, can someone tell me wether Brighton is in East Sussex still since the unitary authority stuff at the turn of the century?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Geographically - yes.
Politically - no.

Yup.

Brighton and Hove is in the Historical County of Sussex, and in the Ceremonial County of East Sussex. I believe East Sussex as a formal county was created in the 70s? It appears the Ceremonial County didn't exist until 1997 though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
other than the Lord Lieutenant bit above, shirley the answer is neither east or west technically since it became a unitary authority? but then on those lines the country of Berkshire no longer exists as its all unitary authorities now. so this is probably nonsense.

Yup.

Brighton and Hove is in the Historical County of Sussex, and in the Ceremonial County of East Sussex. I believe East Sussex as a formal county was created in the 70s? It appears the Ceremonial County didn't exist until 1997 though.
East Sussex County Council was created by virtue of the Local Government Act 1888. Before that, the counties were administered by the unelected Courts of Quarter Sessions, one of which was based in Lewes and another in Chichester. Unified government of Sussex as a single entity didn't survive the demise of the Kingdom of Sussex, some centuries before the Norman conquest.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
other than the Lord Lieutenant bit above, shirley the answer is neither east or west technically since it became a unitary authority? but then on those lines the country of Berkshire no longer exists as its all unitary authorities now. so this is probably nonsense.

That's an interesting concept.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
one lousy letter...

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
East Sussex County Council was created by virtue of the Local Government Act 1888. Before that, the counties were administered by the unelected Courts of Quarter Sessions, one of which was based in Lewes and another in Chichester. Unified government of the Sussex as a single entity didn't survive the demise of the Kingdom of Sussex, some centuries before the Norman conquest.

Ah, interestingly, East Sussex County Council seems to have existed before East Sussex did (sort of). From 1889 East Sussex was an administrative county, while the lieutenancy area was still Sussex. In 1974 (based on the 1972 Local Government Act) it became a non-metropolitan county, which seems a bit more formal (but I may be misunderstanding terms). In 1997 the lieutenancy area was revised to East Sussex to match the councils from the 1972 act.

That's my understanding of it, because there's quite a few different types of area that use the term "county".

Yup.

The Ceremonial County of East Sussex certainly did exist before 1997. Lords Lieutenant were first created by Henry VIII.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yup.

I'm pretty sure my exercise books were labelled 'East Sussex County Council' when I was at school in the 1950s, and it was certainly known as East Sussex back then.

Ah, interestingly, East Sussex County Council seems to have existed before East Sussex did (sort of). From 1889 East Sussex was an administrative county, while the lieutenancy area was still Sussex. In 1974 (based on the 1972 Local Government Act) it became a non-metropolitan county, which seems a bit more formal (but I may be misunderstanding terms). In 1997 the lieutenancy area was revised to East Sussex to match the councils from the 1972 act.

That's my understanding of it, because there's quite a few different types of area that use the term "county".
Before 1997, there were certainly separate Lords Lieutenants for East and West Sussex. One of the Lords Lieutenants for East Sussex was Admiral Sir Lyndsey Bryson, who lived in Dyke Road Avenue and who had a daughter who was one of the blonde bimbos in the Philadelphia ads. The office of the Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex was in Pelham House, Lewes, then the headquarters of ESCC.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Before 1997, there were certainly separate Lords Lieutenants for East and West Sussex. One of the Lords Lieutenants for East Sussex was Admiral Sir Lyndsey Bryson, who lived in Dyke Road Avenue and who had a daughter who was one of the blonde bimbos in the Philadelphia ads. The office of the Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex was in Pelham House, Lewes, then the headquarters of ESCC.

Ah, I have (alas) been mislead by contradictory pieces of information on Wikipedia and other explanations of the Acts. While it says the East Sussex was not created a lieutenancy area until 1997, it also says there has been a Lord Lieutenant since 1974. So it would appear it didn't exist a Lieutenancy Area until 1974, even if it was an Administrative County?

Ah, I have (alas) been mislead by contradictory pieces of information on Wikipedia and other explanations of the Acts. While it says the East Sussex was not created a lieutenancy area until 1997, it also says there has been a Lord Lieutenant since 1974. So it would appear it didn't exist a Lieutenancy Area until 1974, even if it was an Administrative County?

There only became a need to use a term such as "lieutenancy area" once the post-1974 counties ceased to be the main model of local government in England and Wales. The 1974 pattern of local government was that the whole of England and Wales consisted of a top layer of counties, with a second tier of districts below them. Everywhere had a county council and every county had district councils. Then along came unitary councils which dismantled that structure. HM the Q, though, couldn't be doing with appointing a Lord Lieutenant in each of the new unitary council areas, so she continued go be represented geographically as before. The new Lieutenancy Areas, which were no longer counties, assumed that title, because "county" would have been confusing. All the old counties had always been lieutenancy areas, but had never been called that, because there was no need to do so.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
There only became a need to use a term such as "lieutenancy area" once the post-1974 counties ceased to be the main model of local government in England and Wales. The 1974 pattern of local government was that the whole of England and Wales consisted of a top layer of counties, with a second tier of districts below them. Everywhere had a county council and every county had district councils. Then along came unitary councils which dismantled that structure. HM the Q, though, couldn't be doing with appointing a Lord Lieutenant in each of the new unitary council areas, so she continued go be represented geographically as before. The new Lieutenancy Areas, which were no longer counties, assumed that title, because "county" would have been confusing. All the old counties had always been lieutenancy areas, but had never been called that, because there was no need to do so.

So there was a Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex prior to that? Even the Lord Lieutenant's website says it was just Sussex until 1974, when it was split into Lord Lieutenants for East and West Sussex.

My essential point being that one of the definitions of county seems to be the area that a Lord Lieutenant was responsible for. I grasp your earlier points about the Court of Quarter Sessions and the 1888 Act, just wondering about the Lord Lieutenants specifically.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here