Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second footballer comes forward over abuse at Crewe Alexandra

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A second former footballer has spoken of being sexually abused by Barry Bennell while at Crewe Alexandra.
Steve Walters - who was the club's youngest debutant in 1988 - has spoken to the Guardian newspaper.
Ex-Crewe player Andy Woodward has also waived his anonymity about abuse he suffered at the club as a child.
Bennell, a coach at the club, was sentenced to nine years in prison in 1998 after admitting sexual offences against six boys.
Cheshire Police have confirmed that six people have contacted them since Mr Woodward went public, one of which was Mr Walters.
Mr Walters, 44, was not part of the original case against his former coach Bennell, but told the Guardian: "All these years, I've had this secret inside me.
"But I have to let it all out now. It's the only way. I want closure and I know, for a fact, this is going to help me move on.
"It's been unbearable but, just from reading the article from Andy, it already feels like a massive burden off my shoulders. I have to do this, and I just hope it will help bring more people forward, too."
Crewe chairman John Bowler told BBC sports editor Dan Roan that he was "infuriated and very disappointed" with Bennell's previous crimes.
Mr Bowler said the club was "distressed" by the accusations being made.
Mr Bowler, who was chairman at the time of Bennell's offences, was asked about whether more could have been done. He replied: "When we've done our inquiries and looked at the detail of the various accusations, then I'll be in a position to answer that kind of question."
He added he was "very sorry for the distress caused" to both Mr Woodward and Mr Walters.
'Reflect from within'
In an earlier statement, Mr Bowler said: "We are a proud football club and would always take any allegation seriously."
Mr Bowler said the club had needed time to review the situation after Mr Woodward went public last week.
"When things come out of the blue like this, you first want to make inquiries and reflect from within," he said.
Mr Woodward told BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme on Tuesday that he believed his experience was "the tip of the iceberg".
A spokesman for the NSPCC praised the former Sheffield United and Bury defender Mr Woodward for coming forward, adding there was "more to be done in the world of sport" to keep children safe.
The organisation said: "It is time for the government and sports organisations to work together to close gaps in child protection and make sure that the thousands of sports clubs across the country have robust safeguarding policies in place."
Sue Ravenlaw, head of equality and safeguarding at the Football Association, also praised Mr Woodward, 43, for his "immense courage" in going public with his story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38069921

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A disturbing story and with the spotlight on this type of crime I share the view from the article that sadly this may be the tip if the iceberg with more allegations to follow.
If more do come forward hopefully their stories will be taken seriously and that they can both receive the support they need and justice is done.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Paul Stewart, who used to play for Spurs and City, has just revealed he was subject to similar abuse.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/paul-stewart-manchester-city-abuse-12216110

Mirror front page tomorrow

IMG_20161122_232335.jpg.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A disturbing story and with the spotlight on this type of crime I share the view from the article that sadly this may be the tip if the iceberg with more allegations to follow.
If more do come forward hopefully their stories will be taken seriously and that they can both receive the support they need and justice is done.

I was looking a little the FA's stance on the above, but all I could find was this exert:

5.3 raising awareness of potential vulnerability Some children may experience multiple challenges and difficulties. This could be due to family circumstances, poverty, discrimination, disability, family problems with mental health, domestic violence or substance and alcohol use. The more challenges facing a child or young person the greater their vulnerability.

http://https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fa+support+for+abuse+in+football&oq=fa+support+for+abuse+in+football&aqs=chrome..69i57.10490j0j4&sourceid=silk&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=b9E0WJqJBqyegAacx4OIBg

http://www.thefa.com/my-football/football-volunteers/runningaclub/runningaclub/safeguarding#content

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The threat that no-one will believe you, & abuse of authority was the control that predators needed to get away with their crimes.
It's good that victims can now be open about their abuse.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Another ex-City player, David White, has just revealed he was subject to similar abuse.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Gary Speed was another player whose youth development included this Bennell guy. It was denied at the time of his tragic suicide that there was any such link, but now all this is coming out, you do wonder.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
At the moment only ex footballers are coming forward with stories of abuse. Does this say something about certain attitudes and pressures still prevalent within the game which inhibits current players who may have suffered abuse from coming forward, who perhaps feel that they might have something to lose if they do. I am sure that the abuse of young players wasn't restricted to 20 or 30 years ago and that there are probably a few current players who suffered similar experiences. I wonder if any of those will come forward, or perhaps they feel more comfortable just keeping their heads down and getting on with their careers for the time being. The difference between the ex players and current players is that the ex players are no longer in the spotlight career wise and therefore can disappear back to relative anonymity compared to current players who, if they do choose to come forward will have the spotlight shone on them every time they play. I suppose it's an added pressure which understandably they are not ready to deal with yet.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dario Gradi is remaining tight lipped about the whole thing.

Albeit Danny Murphy spoke very highly of him in the standard tonight, I sincerely hope he was right

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I very much hope that Andy Woodward and the others find some sort of comfort & release in being able to talk about it after all this time. The signs are that they have done. And that justice is forthcoming for those found guilty of perpetrating such betrayals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here