Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serge Aurier refused entry to UK

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38069036

PSG saying the decision lacks respect and "On several occasions, Uefa has also transmitted its total support of Paris St-Germain to the British authorities regarding this case, in order to preserve the integrity of its competitions."

Don't get me wrong, but why does the ruling show a lack of respect? Also, since when has the integrity of a sporting competition more important than a countries own immigration laws?
The guy is a convicted criminal, yes he is appealing, but rules are rules I'm afraid.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38069036

PSG saying the decision lacks respect and "On several occasions, Uefa has also transmitted its total support of Paris St-Germain to the British authorities regarding this case, in order to preserve the integrity of its competitions."

Don't get me wrong, but why does the ruling show a lack of respect? .

In fairness to PSG, they have NOT said that the ruling lacks respect. They have said that the TIMING of the ruling lacks respect. He was granted the visa weeks ago, then it was revoked a few day before the game. I think they have a point, tbh.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He is a convicted criminal, what respect does he deserve?

He violently assaulted a policeman? What respect did he give the policeman?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
brilliant quote from PSG:
"Paris St-Germain strongly regrets the presumption of innocence has not influenced Britain's decision," said the club in a statement.

erm, he's convicted right? so we presume he is guilty, thats how it works even in France.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When I had a suspended sentence here I was allowed to travel abroad. When I got a suspended sentence in Australia I was allowed to stay. I'm white though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Start of Brexit, watch this space

Yoda

English & European
Why was there the need for him to apply for a visa in the first place? He also holds a French passport (not contained in the BBC report) so under current EU law, has the free right to travel to any EU Country.
Seems like PSG have shot themselves in the foot to me.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
brilliant quote from PSG:
"Paris St-Germain strongly regrets the presumption of innocence has not influenced Britain's decision," said the club in a statement.

erm, he's convicted right? so we presume he is guilty, thats how it works even in France.

I think they mean that there's a presumption of innocence (the initial conviction notwithstanding) pending the outcome of his appeal. If his appeal fails, then clearly there's no such presumption.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I assume the purpose of the rule is to prevent people from entering the country who pose a risk of committing a criminal act whilst here. Given the circumstances of his visit there doesn't seem to be any risk of him breaking the law so I can't see the problem in granting him a visa.

With regards to UEFA being involved there is a line where immigration controls could bar a country from European competition, as an extreme example not allowing in any non EU nationals, which could stop visiting teams from fielding several players.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Why was there the need for him to apply for a visa in the first place? He also holds a French passport (not contained in the BBC report) so under current EU law, has the free right to travel to any EU Country.
Seems like PSG have shot themselves in the foot to me.

Possibly because he needed a Work Visa and was not coming for tourism.

Collingburnian

May 13, 2016
Shoreham by Sea
I think you will find that while Aurier is a resident[ of France, he is a national of Ivory Coast and a holder of Ivory Coast passport and plays for the national team. As such, he needs a visa to come to UK.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think you will find that while Aurier is a resident[ of France, he is a national of Ivory Coast and a holder of Ivory Coast passport and plays for the national team. As such, he needs a visa to come to UK.

The poster above said he holds a French passport as well. That would make sense, given he has lived in France since 2006.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Rules I'm afraid although they don't seem to apply this to all. Plenty have come across with criminal records and got in although probably not advised. PSG have gone about this in the correct manner but have paid for it. Double standards I think

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The poster above said he holds a French passport as well. That would make sense, given he has lived in France since 2006.

Plus he has Kelloggs Frosties for breakfast, collect three packet tops and he recieves a French passport, EU citizenship and unrestricted free movement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here